Jokers Wild

southsideirish71

The most likely upgrade I foresee is a SS/3B utility type like Polanco.  I think he's the best bet.  I'd also be happy if we got Mackowiak from the Pirates.  I think he could add a lot to this team.  I'm not sure if he can do SS/3B, but if he can play 2B, I'm sure he can play 3B at least.

Mackowiak would also be a good addition. He can play 3B, 2B, and every outfield position.

• Replies 420
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Wedge @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:44 PM)
The most likely upgrade I foresee is a SS/3B utility type like Polanco.  I think he's the best bet.  I'd also be happy if we got Mackowiak from the Pirates.  I think he could add a lot to this team.  I'm not sure if he can do SS/3B, but if he can play 2B, I'm sure he can play 3B at least.

Mackowiak looks great right now. He's batting .338 with decent power and he's a lefty hitter. I checked his stats at 3rd, and they aren't great. So, according to many people here, we can't get him. His amazing offense pales in comparison to Crede's incredible defense.

Guest JimH
Okay, but if he adds a 3rd baseman and doesn't move Crede, won't it be for an improvement at 3rd base?  And if he trades for an improvement over Crede, do you think that player won't be starting over Crede or at least platooning with him?  It's not like Kenny is going to trade for a 3rd baseman that is worse than Crede.

See the above post about Mackowiak. He will be tough to pry from Pittsburgh but a guy like that is the "type" they might decide they need. Mackowiak has had the lights turn on for him this year at the plate, he's become much more selective and is driving pitches very well, with little help in that Pirate lineup.

He is the type of guy who can give Crede a break from tough RH pitchers too, plus play some other positions.

That's what I mean, a solid bat, a guy who can step in easily if something happens but wouldn't negatively affect the chemistry by swapping out a position player.

I strongly sense that's what they are thinking right now. As you suggest, closer to the trade deadline they could very well be thinking differently ... things change.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 31, 2005 -> 02:41 PM)
Wrong again.  Ozuna is a 2nd baseman by trade.  Uribe is a SS by trade.

Uribe is best suited for 2B is what I was trying to imply. PK was a catcher, should the Sox consider trading AJ and putting PK at catcher? Didn't think so. Uribe is best suited at the 2B position. If you can't see that, then I suggest you get your eyes check. Ozuna is more of a SS because he has the agility and quickness. Uribe doesn't have that agility of a SS, hence the Sox wanting to leave Uribe at 2B for the most part. Sorry if the trade doesn't note that. I guess Frank Thomas still plays 1B and Scott Hatteberg is still a catcher. And Jose is still a SS.

Edited by nitetrain8601

They both are, Ozuna came up as a SS and that's his natural position.

He started out as a SS but was moved to 2nd base after he had a wrist injury...

http://www.baseballamerica.com/today/news/021116hampton.html

Ozuna was one of the game's top shortstop prospects when the Marlins picked him up when they traded Edgar Renteria to St. Louis in December 1998, but that now seems like a long time ago. He missed all of 2001 with a wrist problem and his age turned out to be four years older than reported. Now 28, he has become a second baseman/outfielder and hit .326-7-33 with 16 steals in 77 games at Triple-A Calgary this year.

He has also played most of his games in the majors at 2nd base, not SS.

Edited by Jabroni

3B is a difficult position to play defensively. To his credit, Crede plays it very well. Our improved defense is no small part of our pitching staff's success.

If we trade for someone who is going to supplant Crede as the starter at 3B, it had well be someone who is comparable defensively.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 31, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)

But his natural position is SS. Get it through your stubborn head. He's a natural SS. Just because he was moved doesn't mean he isn't a natural SS. Your whole argument was that he isn't a natural SS and with this post, you proved that wrong.

Edited by nitetrain8601

Guest JimH

The wrist injury is recovered and SS has always been his natural position. He split time almost evenly between SS and 2B last year with Scranton. It's good he can play both.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 31, 2005 -> 02:49 PM)

Did he injure his wrist from an internet related incident, like a certain Cub pitcher?

QUOTE(JimH @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)
See the above post about Mackowiak.  He will be tough to pry from Pittsburgh but a guy like that is the "type" they might decide they need.  Mackowiak has had the lights turn on for him this year at the plate, he's become much more selective and is driving pitches very well, with little help in that Pirate lineup.

He is the type of guy who can give Crede a break from tough RH pitchers too, plus play some other positions.

That's what I mean, a solid bat, a guy who can step in easily if something happens but wouldn't negatively affect the chemistry by swapping out a position player. 

I strongly sense that's what they are thinking right now.  As you suggest, closer to the trade deadline they could very well be thinking differently ... things change.

I believe he's also from the Chicagoland area and might even have been a Sox fan growing up.

See the above post about Mackowiak.  He will be tough to pry from Pittsburgh but a guy like that is the "type" they might decide they need.  Mackowiak has had the lights turn on for him this year at the plate, he's become much more selective and is driving pitches very well, with little help in that Pirate lineup.

I strongly sense that's what they are thinking right now.  As you suggest, closer to the trade deadline they could very well be thinking differently ... things change.

I would agree with that move. Trade for Mackowiak and platoon him with Crede at 3B and also with Dye in RF. Start Mackowiak at 3B vs. righties and start Crede at 3B vs. lefties. Also, sometimes start Mackowiak in RF vs. righties and start Dye in RF vs. lefties.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 31, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
Uribe is best suited for 2B is what I was trying to imply. PK was a catcher, should the Sox consider trading AJ and putting PK at catcher? Didn't think so. Uribe is best suited at the 2B position. If you can't see that, then I suggest you get your eyes check. Ozuna is more of a SS because he has the agility and quickness. Uribe doesn't have that agility of a SS, hence the Sox wanting to leave Uribe at 2B for the most part. Sorry if the trade doesn't note that. I guess Frank Thomas still plays 1B and Scott Hatteberg is still a catcher. And Jose is still a SS.

Uribe was brought here for the sole purpose of being our SS of the future. We had a 2B prospect in Miles that we traded for him. The belief at that time was that Willie would be manning 2B.

Not sure where the quickness/agility argument comes in, I'll take Uribe over Jose

in any agility/quickness contest you'd like to hold.

LOL, so now Ozuna is a better SS than Uribe? I'm not sure I can respond because I'm laughing too hard. Once again, you are dead wrong.

Edited by Jabroni

Guest JimH
I would agree with that move.  Trade for Mackowiak and platoon him with Crede at 3B and also with Dye in RF.  Start Mackowiak at 3B vs. righties and start Crede at 3B vs. lefties.  Also, sometimes start Mackowiak in RF vs. righties and start Dye in RF vs. lefties.

This is the exact point. Add to your offense, add to your team, increase your depth, etc. All without altering your chemistry.

You can bet KW will know what Mackowiak's situation is, he would be a good fit.

And yes, he's from Oak Lawn and grew up a Sox fan. The Pirates love him though, by all accounts he is a great teammate, active in the Pittsburgh community, etc. He's been there for 5 years at least I believe.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 31, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
LOL, so now Ozuna is a better SS than Uribe?  I'm not sure I can respond because I'm laughing too hard.

Well that explains where he got the idea that Cruddy is better than Randa defensively based on nothing but I wish.

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:56 PM)
He is from Oak Lawn, Illinois.  He went to South Suburban Junior College.  He was indeed a Sox fan growing up.  He also apparently likes to drink.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/profile?statsId=6725

Ha, I saw that article, too. Oh well, I bet he's still a better player when he's drunk than Crede will ever be. It worked for David Wells. :P :drink

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:00 PM)
Ha, I saw that article, too.  Oh well, I bet he's still a better player when he's drunk than Crede will ever be.  It worked for David Wells. :P  :drink

I bet you he can hit better than Cruddy drunk, blindfolded and with a wiffle ball bat.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ May 31, 2005 -> 03:49 PM)

That is very wrong. Uribe led the league in range factor last year for short stops and was fourth in the league for for second baseman. I think you are the one that needs to get your eyes checked if you can't see he has the ability to cover as much ground as anyone in baseball on the infield. I am guessing that is where the lack of agility and quickness comes in though right?

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ May 31, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
I doubt it, I was never a good hitter.  I was a damn good fielder, though.  A lot of posters on this board would love me.

So you would be hated too because you would be in the same situation as crede.

Guest JimH

Interesting to note that Mackowiak's offense is really coming on at age 28, almost 29. Whenever he plays a full season he's been in the .240's, so far this year it's been really good for him.

That is very wrong. Uribe led the league in range factor last year for short stops and was fourth in the league for for second baseman. I think you are the one that needs to get your eyes checked if you can't see he has the ability to cover as much ground as anyone in baseball on the infield. I am guessing that is where the lack of agility and quickness comes in though right?

Thanks for taking care of that ridiculous post for me. I'm still laughing at the stupidity of it.

Edited by Jabroni

QUOTE(Jabroni @ May 31, 2005 -> 02:57 PM)
LOL, so now Ozuna is a better SS than Uribe?  I'm not sure I can respond because I'm laughing too hard.  Once again, you are dead wrong.

I dont think he was saying that, I think he was saying that Ozuna's natural position coming up was SS, and Uribe is more suited for 2B. I agree with the first part , but not the second, Uribe's arm is more suited for 3B than anything, that boy has a canon, his mobility is lack, but he is usually well positioned.