*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
hey ya know, soxtalk's pretty cool, it was only a matter of time until the media picked up on that, duh.

Im going to have to admit that I may have fueled the rumor in the Daily Herald, but maybe KW reads it????

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
I don't want to have the Sox give up BMAC. I want to see him become an ace as a member of the Sox.

Would Oakland take Crede, Anderson, Tracey and Baj for Chavez, instead?

Just talked to Beane...he said sure!

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:53 AM)
No doubt...I was thinking the same thing when I saw it...did this stem from Soxtalk?

cuz we didnt really get it from anywhere... just that we wanted him... weird... makes it more likely that this is all untrue.

QUOTE(Reddy @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:54 AM)
cuz we didnt really get it from anywhere... just that we wanted him... weird... makes it more likely that this is all untrue.

Well, how the hell did this all start? Was it last week when supposedly Rosenthal had said this? Cause right after that, I e-mailed the guy and it didn't come from him....so....

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
BTW, that rumor with the Angels aquiring Mike Sweeney, wow that might put them over the top.

So would Darin Erstad go to the outfield? Sweeney seems like he would displace a couple of players on that roster.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:58 AM)
:nono

Adjusted numbers mean nothing to me.

Just give me the raw data.  Chavez is not worth a $30+ million commitment and giving up some of our top talent.

actually...

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 09:58 AM)

Just give me the raw data.  Chavez is not worth a $30+ million commitment and giving up some of our top talent.

giving up "top talent" and a hope that it will pan out is nothing compared to getting a 4 time gold glover and great hitter as he is entering his peak years.

BTW, his "raw numbers" are better than our 1B who is getting the same money right now, and who will probably command more going forward without the benefits of the gold glove, this would be a great deal.

I'm not a fan of adjusted numbers either but Chavez is a stud, period. He's a 30, 100 guy and a gold glover at 3rd base, not to mention a left handed power hitter to throw in the lineup and we'd have him for years to come. I'd absolutely love to get Chavez but it obviously depends on what we have to give up.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:03 AM)
I'm not a fan of adjusted numbers either but Chavez is a stud, period.  He's a 30, 100 guy and a gold glover at 3rd base, not to mention a left handed power hitter to throw in the lineup and we'd have him for years to come.  I'd absolutely love to get Chavez but it obviously depends on what we have to give up.

Im saying, that if its only Crede and BMAC, we are raping Beane right there. But its also mutually beneficial, BMAC, as the kind of pitcher he is, would benefit from moving to Oakland from our bandbox.

QUOTE(santo=dorf @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 03:58 PM)
Chavez is not worth a $30+ million commitment and giving up some of our top talent.

The sox have no LH power guys even close to the majors. If they can get Chavez, his bat and his defense at 3b are worth the big contract. Is Chavez worth is contract compared to other guys like Beltre, Mike Lowell, Troy Glaus? I'd say definitely yes.

Would Chavez's contract fit better on the sox than what PK can probably expect to get in 2006? Esp with a JT Snow like option at 1b in Ross Gload, and some money can be used to sign AJ to a decent deal? IMO, yes.

as far as the talent to be traded, Bmac would be the hardest guy to lose. But does he project as a dominating #1 SP? Probably not. He's solid, probably a #3.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:05 AM)
Im saying, that if its only Crede and BMAC, we are raping Beane right there.  But its also mutually beneficial, BMAC, as the kind of pitcher he is, would benefit from moving to Oakland from our bandbox.

Ya, I agree with this now. At first when I heard this rumor I wanted Bmac to be untouchable and I still want to hold onto him if all possible but if we could get a guy like Chavez you have to go for it.