*Official* Eric Chavez Speculation/Dream Thread

GreatScott82

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
The sox have no LH power guys even close to the majors. If they can get Chavez, his bat and his defense at 3b are worth the big contract. Is Chavez worth is contract compared to other guys like Beltre, Mike Lowell, Troy Glaus? I'd say definitely yes.

Would Chavez's contract fit better on the sox than what PK can probably expect to get in 2006? Esp with a JT Snow like option at 1b in Ross Gload, and some money can be used to sign AJ to a decent deal? IMO, yes.

as far as the talent to be traded, Bmac would be the hardest guy to lose. But does he project as a dominating #1 SP? Probably not. He's solid, probably a #3.

Great post, it exemplifies everything that I think it good about this deal. This would benefit the sox in so many ways including moving forward next year. Not to mention the ridiculous lineup that we would have this year. :cheers to you

• Replies 915
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 04:16 PM)
Ya, I agree with this now.  At first when I heard this rumor I wanted Bmac to be untouchable and I still want to hold onto him if all possible but if we could get a guy like Chavez you have to go for it.

I too was thinking BMac would be untouchable this year. But the Sox could get a 5th starter type and put him in AAA as the insurance policy for an injury to one of the 5 SP's. Right now, Robert Person, Jon Adkins or Sean Tracey aren't exactly options for winning games in the majors.

This all comes down to how confident is Kenny in Chavez's ability to converge back to his expected #s, as opposed to his current #s

If we are giving up BMac, Kenny better be darn sure. And if Chavez does not work out and becomes a Albert Belle type contract on us, I better see Kenny fired.

Because we all know if a big acquisition does not work out, JR will not spend anything for the next decade citing how that does not work.

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
This all comes down to how confident is Kenny in Chavez's ability to converge back to his expected #s, as opposed to his current #s

If we are giving up BMac, Kenny better be darn sure. And if Chavez does not work out and becomes a Albert Belle type contract on us, I better see Kenny fired.

Because we all know if a big acquisition does not work out, JR will not spend anything for the next decade citing how that does not work.

I am completely with you on this.

The last time KW labeled a player an untouchable- he ended up trading him in a package for Freddy Garcia (Jeremy Reed). Yes BMac is also labeled an untouchable but when the right guy comes along KW never hesitates to pull a trigger. Our team needs alittle bit more power. Chavez can provide some power. I don't know for some reason I see KW pulls the trigger on this trade come the trade deadline.

Not sure. Heard many fans talk about it on the Sox post game show the past week or so. And when I heard that Chavez expects to be traded if the A's keep on losing on the Score yesterday- i found that very interesting. Now you have this article in Scot Merkin's section in the DH. Hmm I wonder if any of the ESPN douches know anything about this rumor?

QUOTE(sox-r-us @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:31 AM)

Ahh yes fire the gm of the best team in baseball, that happens all the time.

Who knows if this trade will work out, but Chavez is what the sox need. His numbers vs. RHP over the last three years [.293/.384/.554] would help the sox address their biggest weakness---hitting RHP. [Last time I checked, the so were 12th in the AL vs RHP---with a low avg, obp and slg--- and 3rd vs. LHP]. And good to great RHP is what the Sox would face in the playoffs if they make it there.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:37 AM)
I dont think Kenny waits until the deadline to pull the trigger on this deal.  Not his style

He definitely likes to get a jump on things like this.

After reading thru all these posts I've changed my mind on including BMac in a Chavez trade. Considering how our "stocked" minor leagues have fallen on their face with all the supposed pitching talent we had down there earlier this decade, maybe Kenny has decided that the best use of pitching prospects is to get proven MLB talent. I hope it works for him.

BTW, Kyyle ........ 119 posts already? You hit the ground running!

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:48 AM)
He definitely likes to get a jump on things like this.

After reading thru all these posts I've changed my mind on including BMac in a Chavez trade.  Considering how our "stocked" minor leagues have fallen on their face with all the supposed pitching talent we had down there earlier this decade, maybe Kenny has decided that the best use of pitching prospects is to get proven MLB talent.  I hope it works for him.

BTW, Kyyle ........ 119 posts already?  You hit the ground running!

LOL, the 10 post limit on WorldXing was constricting my brain flow. The table talk on this site is really fun to me.

QUOTE(GreatScott82 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
Not sure. Heard many fans talk about it on the Sox post game show the past week or so. And when I heard that Chavez expects to be traded if the A's keep on losing on the Score yesterday- i found that very interesting. Now you have this article in Scot Merkin's section in the DH. Hmm I wonder if any of the ESPN douches know anything about this rumor?

Go back a few pages, i copied what buster olney had written about it

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
LOL, the 10 post limit on WorldXing was constricting my brain flow. The table talk on this site is really fun to me.

Alot more varying opinions. More hard baseball talk ..... obviously because there are alot more posters.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
Go back a few pages, i copied what buster olney had written about it

Everytime I look at your picture, i think to myself "Pods is the luckiest SOB on the Sox. "

Holy cow Lisa Dergen is smokin hot

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:52 AM)
Alot more varying opinions.  More hard baseball talk ..... obviously because there are alot more posters.

Dont get me wrong, I like posting on WXing. But when it became a pay site it was hard to jump on the game discussions and even harder to argue your point for a period of time. I still put my 2 cents in when it applies :D

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
Dont get me wrong, I like posting on WXing. But when it became a pay site it was hard to jump on the game discussions and even harder to argue your point for a period of time.  I still put my 2 cents in when it applies  :D

Both sites have definite strengths.

QUOTE(Cubs Suck23 @ Jun 2, 2005 -> 11:51 AM)
Im totally shocked that reinsdorf will add 10 mil to our payroll...

It won't be a full $10 mil for this year. Plus you'll be subtracting a portion of Crede's salary. And next year they'll just use Konerko's money.

Financially it makes total sense.