Broadway Moves to Chicago

Chisoxfn

Sox Select Lance Broadway in the 1st Round

By Jason Gage

June 7, 2005

FutureSox.com

The 2005 MLB draft started on Tuesday morning with the Arizona Diamondbacks selecting SS/CF Justin Upton #1 overall. Upton, the younger brother of Devil Rays top prospect BJ Upton played shortstop in high school, but is expected to move to centerfield considering the Diamondbacks drafted Stephen Drew last year. The rest of the draft went as expected with the exception of Luke Hochevar and Craig Hansen (two Boras reps) falling. Both were rated as two of the best collegiate pitchers in the draft. Hansen ended up being selected 26th overall to the Boston Red Sox. Hochevar is still on the board while another Boras client Tyler Greene (SS) went to the Cardinals at 30th overall.

The White Sox made their mark at pick 15 selecting RHP Lance Broadway. The Sox were also considering RHP Cesar Carillo out of Miami but opted for the fast rising Broadway. Broadway was rated as a supplemental – 2nd round selection up until very recently when he ran off 3 outstanding starts against top collegiate competition.

Broadway went 15-1 with a 1.62 ERA for the TCU Horned Frogs. The 21 year old righty limited opponents to 83 hits in 117 innings while striking out 151 batters. Broadway paints the strike zone with his fastball and has one of the best breaking pitches in the draft (curveball). Broadway has smooth mechanics and while he doesn’t have the velocity scouts rave about, his fastball is clocked in the upper 80’s to low 90’s.

Broadway is expected to be a quick sign and will likely be sent to Low A Kannapolis. The Sox next pick is at 95 overall (3rd round selection). The Sox lost their 2nd round pick when they signed Orlando Hernandez.

QUOTE(Palehosefan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 09:50 AM)
Good stuff as usual. But any reason you say he's expected to be an easy sign?

Talks are the Sox pretty much worked out a predraft deal (they typically go this route). We'll see though. Basically put it should be a fast negotiation and nothing is done till its done.

I'd guess 40% of the teams have worked out predraft deals. Essentially you tell the agent we'll give you this much and we'll take your client now. The agent goes, sounds good and all you have to work out are the minor details (scholarship money, etc).

Sounds like a guy who just went on a rip despite playing most of his career at a higher level. The fact that somebody posted that he doesn't have a heater also disheartens me.

Sounds like a sure-fire failure to me. The minors will still be useless for us.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)
Sounds like a guy who just went on a rip despite playing most of his career at a higher level. The fact that somebody posted that he doesn't have a heater also disheartens me.

I remember reading his name last night on the Tribune site and praying that they don't draft him. "Lance Broadway" just sounds like one of those players that 3 years from now you'll be saying, "What the hell ever happened to that 'Lance Broadway' guy?"

I hate the picks that the Sox sign and everyone is like "Why would they sign him?" cause my guess is that he is a guy they know they can sign cheap, and don't want to be burned by another Borchard clone.

Prove me wrong, Broadway.

:pray

QUOTE(Unregistered @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
I remember reading his name last night on the Tribune site and praying that they don't draft him. "Lance Broadway" just sounds like one of those players that 3 years from now you'll be saying, "What the hell ever happened to that 'Lance Broadway' guy?"

I hate the picks that the Sox sign and everyone is like "Why would they sign him?" cause my guess is that he is a guy they know they can sign cheap, and don't want to be burned by another Borchard clone.

His periphs are flat nasty.

QUOTE(Unregistered @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:38 PM)

Not happy at all. We should of picked Carillo. Good control, better stuff. Broadway jumped up due to his last three starts, not the entire body of work. We have enough of these "great control guys with a good curve" in our organization that cant hit 90 on a daily basis. We need a stuff guy to mix in. We have BMAC/Diaz/Honel are all control guys with good breaking stuff. I would rather have a guy to break up the mix who has the control and the velocity and my god a sinking pitch.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/bas...-carrillo_x.htm

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 06:45 PM)
Not happy at all.  We should of picked Carillo.  Good control, better stuff.  Broadway jumped up due to his last three starts, not the entire body of work.  We have enough of these "great control guys with a good curve" in our organization that cant hit 90 on a daily basis.  We need a stuff guy to mix in.  We have BMAC/Diaz/Honel are all control guys with good breaking stuff.  I would rather have a guy to break up the mix who has the control and the velocity and my god a sinking pitch.

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/bas...-carrillo_x.htm

Better stuff, yet less than 7 K's/9 in 2003 and 2004?

Sheesh, let the kid fail before ya jump all over him.

BTW -- No friggin' way that Carrillo is a stuff guy. No way.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 12:11 AM)
Does anybody that is ripping this pick know anything about the guy at all?  Or, are the Sox cheap and stupid because they didn't pick the guy you wanted them to pick?

Yas, I find it funny that people are b****ing at 'em for not taking Carrillo, and then calling Carrillo a 'stuff' guy, when Broadway had more K's than Cesar.

You want to argue the pick, that's fine, but be reasonable about it...

From a shear numbers standpoint, he looks great. Why not???

Also, you can never, NEVER have too much good pitching....but I agree that a couple less pitchers and a couple more position players (1b, C especially) would've helped the Sox depth.

Nevertheless, good draft indeed IMO> :cheers

QUOTE(OilCan @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
From a shear numbers standpoint, he looks great.  Why not???

Also, you can never, NEVER have too much good pitching....but I agree that a couple less pitchers and a couple more position players (1b, C especially) would've helped the Sox depth.

Nevertheless, good draft indeed IMO> :cheers

I figure you get more value for pitchers so why not draft pitcher heavy and then deal the excess for help at positions, plus the Sox obviously have a stockpile at the OF position right now and they have some young toolsy infielders already. I'm not saying the infielders are great, but I do love the pickup of Getz (flat can handle the bat...seems like he has the potential to be a really good 2 hole hitter).

And catchers are a crapshoot, they'll probably draft another, but they have two very raw once as it is in Francisco and Lucy. Lucy should be back pretty quick, in fact I thought Randar said he was activated and while Lucy didn't impress offensively he's got better tools than any of today's picks (that were catchers). Clement is god awful when it comes to throwing and he isn't much better at blocking. He did make a lot of strides this year, but I have my doubts.

I'm speaking pure physical ability though and he's definately more raw. The best "catcher" in the draft was Teagarden (or however the hell you spell it). The reason I say catcher is because I think defense when I think catcher and offense is a plus. Teagarden has some offensive tools but he's a stud defensively.

Hell I like the catcher out of Illinois (robinson) more than I like Clement. Once again if were talking catcher.

With Teagarden, people were talking Mike Matheny-good defense.

I personally think that Matheny is pampered a helluva lot for a guy that barely hits .230, but even getting a catcher like Matheny in the draft has to be viewed as a plus, especially not in round one...

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 07:31 PM)
With Teagarden, people were talking Mike Matheny-good defense.

I personally think that Matheny is pampered a helluva lot for a guy that barely hits .230, but even getting a catcher like Matheny in the draft has to be viewed as a plus, especially not in round one...

The problem is where he was drafted I"d have to think he'll be a real tough sign, especially with Boras repping him. He's going to want 1st round to supplemental round money and Boras is gonna make damn sure he does. He still has a year of eligibility as well as leverage.

I think the Rangers drafted him (may be wrong) and if true its the local connection so they may know something in terms of signability, but I think there is a good shot you'll see him hold out for a 800 - 1 mill or so and if he doesn't get it, he'll just go back to college.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 7, 2005 -> 12:30 PM)

I disagree with the minors still being useless. This system since 2000 has given us a Starting CF a #1 Starter in Mark and via trade Got us Freddie Garcia. The Consider what we still have in Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Bobby Jenks Gio and a couple others.

QUOTE(BHAMBARONS @ Jun 8, 2005 -> 05:36 AM)
I disagree with the minors still being useless.  This system since 2000 has given us a Starting CF a #1 Starter in Mark and via trade Got us Freddie Garcia.  The Consider what we still have in Brandon McCarthy, Brian Anderson, Ryan Sweeney, Bobby Jenks Gio and a couple others.

...as well as Jon Garland, Neal Cotts, and to a lesser extent, Willie Harris and Joe Crede (like it or not). There's some good homegrown talent on this team.