Contreras-Widger vs AJ

southsider2k5

I have commented a few times that during the season, I think AJ Pierzynski is the BIG difference in the way that Jose Contreras has been pitching this year. Now after watching that disaster last night, it inspired me to do some research. It will be interesting to see if this trend continues this year but here are the starts were AJ has caught Contreras, in order.

6 IP 1 ER

6.2 IP 4 ER

4.2 IP 4 ER

3.1 IP 1 ER

6 IP 1 ER

8 IP 1 ER

7 IP 1 ER

7 IP 3 ER

6 IP 2 ER

6 IP 2 ER

Now Widger's three starts with Contreras

5 IP 4 ER

6.1 IP 4 ER

6 IP 8 ER

For totals of...

AJ 60.2 IP 16 ER 2.52 ERA

Widger 17.1 IP 16 ER 8.30 ERA

Its not even close right now. Now it will be interesting to see if this is an aberration, or if AJ literally makes Contreras a better pitcher.

What is Widger's CERA for everyone else other than Contreras though? But after seeing that, there's no doubt AJ should catch Jose's games as much as possible, although Widger has still done a very good job with the other guys.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 07:23 AM)
I have commented a few times that during the season, I think AJ Pierzynski is the BIG difference in the way that Jose Contreras has been pitching this year.  Now after watching that disaster last night, it inspired me to do some research.  It will be interesting to see if this trend continues this year but here are the starts were AJ has caught Contreras, in order.

6 IP 1 ER

6.2 IP 4 ER

4.2 IP 4 ER

3.1 IP 1 ER

6 IP 1 ER

8 IP 1 ER

7 IP 1 ER

7 IP 3 ER

6 IP 2 ER

6 IP 2 ER

5 IP 4 ER

6.1 IP 4 ER

6 IP 8 ER

For totals of...

Widger  17.1 IP 16 ER 8.30 ERA

Its not even close right now.  Now it will be interesting to see if this is an aberration, or if AJ literally makes Contreras a better pitcher.

Send this information to Ozzie

You beat me to this post. Even without the numbers, A.J. would have gone out there and calmed Jose down WAY earlier than Widger or Ozzie. That's just the benefit of his experience. Also, A.J. encourages his pitchers during the at-bat. You know if they are behind 2-0 and throw a real good pitch - A.J. lets them know with that glove point at the pitcher like "you da man".

Anyway, I think A.J. would have been the difference in this game - after the 3 run homer. Just my opinion.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 07:23 AM)
I have commented a few times that during the season, I think AJ Pierzynski is the BIG difference in the way that Jose Contreras has been pitching this year.  Now after watching that disaster last night, it inspired me to do some research.  It will be interesting to see if this trend continues this year but here are the starts were AJ has caught Contreras, in order.

6 IP 1 ER

6.2 IP 4 ER

4.2 IP 4 ER

3.1 IP 1 ER

6 IP 1 ER

8 IP 1 ER

7 IP 1 ER

7 IP 3 ER

6 IP 2 ER

6 IP 2 ER

5 IP 4 ER

6.1 IP 4 ER

6 IP 8 ER

For totals of...

Its not even close right now.  Now it will be interesting to see if this is an aberration, or if AJ literally makes Contreras a better pitcher.

Now that is the way I like to see stats presented to prove a point. Clear and complete. No selectively picking and choosing those that prove your point while ignoring others. Also, there are no abbreviations like AWROBITSEONI , while of course means, average with runners on base in the seventh, eighth or ninth innings.

I still dont understand why they give Contreras the option of shaking any catcher off. Ozzie should have a little chat with our two cuban car slow motion machines. How about this guys, when AJ or widger put down the one finger throw a fastball. Dont think about, hey I really want to throw my splitter or my 65mph curve. Think he put the fastball finger down, let me adjust my grip for fastball. Whatever finger or combination of fingers call a certain pitch, throw that pitch. I am the manager, we pay you to pitch, they pay me to make decisions.

DONT THINK MEAT, THINKING HURTS THE TEAM

good points, that's what i was thinking b4 the game, cause aj tends to be more emphatic in making him get it together. plus widger also works well w/ buerhle, so he coulda played sunday and aj yesterday. also, why is konerko hitting behind frank, shouldn't the better hitter, everett, hit cleanup? and crede should ALWAYS hit 9th, at least uribe has a plan. crede just waves his long, loopy swing @ everything. ozzie's lineups really do suck.

Edited by thelatinoheat_30

Here is the Jon Garland comparision

WITH AJ

6 IP 3 ER

7 IP 2 ER

8 IP 2 ER

7 IP 2 ER

7 IP 3 ER

6 IP 7 ER

6.2 IP 4 ER

7 IP 1 ER

WITH WIDGER

8 IP 1 ER

9 IP 0 ER

9 IP 0 ER

5.2 IP 6 ER

TOTALS

WITH AJ

54 2/3 IP 24 ER 3.95 ERA

WITH WIDGER

31 2/3 IP 7 ER 1.99 ERA

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 11:12 AM)
Wasn't Widger catching for one of MB's absolutely brilliant outings earlier this year?

I can understand if you pick a pitcher or two to not let him catch, but he's seemed like he worked well with the other guys to me.

I think the big difference is that Contreras needs to be bullied to both work quicker and to throw his fastball. AJ isn't afraid to go out and remind a pitcher of what to throw. Widger probably calls a great game, but it doesn't make any difference if he lets Jose wave him off and lets him slow down.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 14, 2005 -> 04:23 AM)

6 IP 1 ER

6.2 IP 4 ER

4.2 IP 4 ER

3.1 IP 1 ER

6 IP 1 ER

8 IP 1 ER

7 IP 1 ER

7 IP 3 ER

6 IP 2 ER

6 IP 2 ER

5 IP 4 ER

6.1 IP 4 ER

6 IP 8 ER

For totals of...

I wholeheartedly agree. I was expecting Widge to get the start on Sunday with AJ getting the day off (especially since it was a day game following a start). I think AJ should always catch Contreras, they seem to have a good feel for each other.