Bill Mueller could be traded to the White Sox

redandwhite

I know Ozzie and Kenny are trying to keep the offensive problems on the down-low but everyone knows the offense isn't very good and leaders such as Paulie have not stepped up to plate to help. Frankly we just don't put up enough runs sometimes. In addition, pitching is always needed and right now we have no clear-cut closer so relief help would greatly be appreciated...

• Replies 266
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(mwolfson @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
I know Ozzie and Kenny are trying to keep the offensive problems on the down-low but everyone knows the offense isn't very good and leaders such as Paulie have not stepped up to plate to help. Frankly we just don't put up enough runs sometimes. In addition, pitching is always needed and right now we have no clear-cut closer so relief help would greatly be appreciated...

15 of 16 not good enough for you in save opps??

15 of 16 not good enough for you in save opps??

He's right though. The bullpen could use another power arm, preferably with experience if it were up to me (it's not).

Relievers should generally be easier to acquire than what's been kicked around in this thread, a starting position player. There are dozens and dozens of relievers who "might" be available, the trick is good major league scouting to identify who can help the most.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 05:39 PM)
He's right though.  The bullpen could use another power arm, preferably with experience if it were up to me (it's not).

Relievers should generally be easier to acquire than what's been kicked around in this thread, a starting position player.  There are dozens and dozens of relievers who "might" be available, the trick is good major league scouting to identify who can help the most.

I agree that the pen could use another arm, personally I could careless whether it's a power arm or not as long as he gets outs. I was just responding to his comment that the sox don't have a clear cut closer, imo they definitely do.

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
The red sox have no need for crede and even less with tracey. So in other words... no.

But if that was what they wanted in order for the trade to happen, why no do it. Let them worry about their needs, not us.

Edited by sayitanitso

Maybe you misunderstood me... At this point and time with so much riding on how well we are playing there should be no shortage of talk about our bullpen which currently has been inconsistant, especially with our bullpen blowing a lot of games for our starters. I think Hermanson, Politte, Marte and Cotts have been very solid so far but maybe adding a "true" closer like a Billy Wagner or a guy with stuff that make hitters tremble would just be the thing that puts us over the top. We would never have to worry about the 9th inning again if we were up and a guy like Wagner on our team to shut down the opposition.

QUOTE(sayitanitso @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
If I could change it to make it right I would. But I can't so I'm stuck with it.

Just ask one of the admins to change it for you and they will.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(mwolfson @ Jun 15, 2005 -> 05:52 PM)
Maybe you misunderstood me... At this point and time with so much riding on how well we are playing there should be no shortage of talk about our bullpen which currently has been inconsistant, especially with our bullpen blowing a lot of games for our starters. I think Hermanson, Politte, Marte and Cotts have been very solid so far but maybe adding a "true" closer like a Billy Wagner or a guy with stuff that make hitters tremble would just be the thing that puts us over the top. We would never have to worry about the 9th inning again if we were up and a guy like Wagner on our team to shut down the opposition.

Alright, fair enough. I guess I've just never cared if someone has "true closer stuff" as long as they're getting the job done I could care less how fast someone is throwing. Just cause you throw hard doesn't make you a good closer, there have been plenty of good closers who didn't throw 98 mph but that's jmo.

• 1 month later...

Theo Epstein two days ago was doing a pregame interview as he always does for the New England Sports Network as a prelude to the thursday Red Sox/Yankee game, that I attended.

Theo was talking about the addition of Curt Schilling and the demotion of Kevin Youkilis and it was a very interesting little piece. He said something along the lines of:

"Youkilis was only demoted because he was one of few players left with options, and that he would play a major role in the last two months of the 2005 season."

I didn't think much of it when he was saying it, but he made a wierd face, and a little jerk that he has never done before in an interview leading me to think he said something that he wasn't supposed to have said.

Whether that means Bill Mueller could be traded as was written in the globe a few months ago or not, it was interesting to say the least.

QUOTE(redandwhite @ Jul 17, 2005 -> 07:16 PM)
Mueller is an above average third baseman with good range and a good arm.  He's not a gold glover but is annually in the top five in every defensive statistic that matters.

Really? I know that he used to have a damn good glove with the Giants and the Cubs, but I heard that he has mostly sucked it up defensively over the past couple of years, to the point where people are kind of baffled because defense was always a given with Bill. I'm not really in the habit of checking out Red Sox games, but that's the word, big bird.