Around the Minors

danman31

BC Powder SL Hitter and Pitcher of the Week Awards (June 27-July 3)

Posted on Jul 4, 2005

MARIETTA, GA –

Hitter of the Week

JOSH FIELDS – BIRMINGHAM BARONS

Barons’ third baseman Josh Fields becomes the second straight Birmingham player selected BC Hitter of the Week after outfielder Chris Young received the honor last week. Fields’ hitting helped lead the Barons to a 4-1 record in five games and first place in the South Division standings. The third baseman had two hits in four out of five games played and led all Southern League players during the week with six doubles and seven extra-base hits. Baseball America rates Fields the fourth best prospect in the White Sox organization. The White Sox selected Fields in the first round (18th overall) of the 2004 draft out of Oklahoma State University, where he also played football and set a school record for career touchdown passes with 55.

AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR SB AVG

Fields 18 7 9 8 6 0 1 0 .500

Pitcher of the Week

BRIAN WHITAKER – MOBILE BAYBEARS

Mobile right-hander Brian Whitaker won two starts this past week to earn BC Pitcher of the Week honors. On June 27, Whitaker shut down the potent Diamond Jaxx offense, pitching seven innings and allowing four hits and one earned run in a 2-1 BayBears’ victory. The right-hander pitched just as effectively in his next start on July 3 at Trustmark Park against the Mississippi Braves. Whitaker pitched 6.2 innings, allowing nine hits and one earned run to go along with seven strikeouts in Mobile’s 4-1 victory. The Padres selected Whitaker in the 27th round of the 2002 draft out of UNC Wilmington.

W-L IP SO BB H ERA SV

Whitaker 2-0 13.2 12 5 13 1.32 0

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

07/08/2005 10:50 AM ET

Rogowski slugs way to Star of Day

Casey Rogowski's first-inning homer got the slugfest going as Birmingham went on to beat Huntsville, 19-15, on Thursday night at Davis Municipal Stadium.

Rogowski led the Barons' 22-hit output with a 4-for-6 performance, driving in a game-high six RBIs and scoring three times. His big night also earned him the MiLB.com "Star of the Day."

Rogowski, a lefty-swinging first baseman from Redford, Mich., homered to center with two down in the opening frame off Ryan Costello. A single to center in the fourth drove in another run, and a base hit to left field in the seventh plated two more Barons.

Rogowski capped off his night with another hit, a two-out line-drive single to center in the eighth that broke a 15-15 tie. He scored on the next batter as Josh Fields homered.

Birmingham starts a four-game series with the BayBears at 8 p.m. ET on Friday at The Hoover Met. Huntsville travels to Pearl, Miss., for a four-game set against the Braves, opening with an 8:05 p.m. game Friday.

This story was not subject to the approval of the National Association of Professional Baseball Leagues or its clubs.

http://minorleaguebaseball.com/app/news/ar..._milb&fext=.jsp

BC Powder SL Hitter and Pitcher of the Week Awards (July 4-10)

Posted on Jul 11, 2005

MARIETTA, GA –

Hitter of the Week

ENRIQUE CRUZ – HUNTSVILLE STARS

Huntsville shortstop Enrique Cruz hit .360 in 25 at bats this past week to capture BC Hitter of the Week honors. Cruz scored at least one run in four straight games from July 6-9, including three runs scored in the Stars’ 19-15 loss to Birmingham July 7. For the season, Cruz is hitting .297 with 12 home runs and 42 RBI in 87 games played. The Brewers selected Cruz from the Mets in the Rule 5 Major League draft on December 16, 2002. Cruz resides in Santo Domingo, DR.

AB R H RBI 2B 3B HR SB AVG

Cruz 25 6 9 5 1 0 2 0 .360

Pitcher of the Week

RICKY NOLASCO – WEST TENN DIAMOND JAXX

West Tenn right-hander Ricky Nolasco was dominant in two starts this past week on his way to winning the BC Pitcher of the Week Award. Nolasco became the first West Tenn pitcher to toss a complete game this season when he held the Smokies’ offense to four hits and one earned run in nine innings pitched in the Diamond Jaxx 14-1 win at Smokies Park July 4. Nolasco received a no decision in his next start on July 10 at Carolina, pitching six innings and allowing one earned run to go along with six strikeouts in the Diamond Jaxx 4-3 victory. The right-hander has a perfect 8-0 record this season and leads the Southern League with a 2.64 ERA and 109 strikeouts. Baseball America rates Nolasco the 19th best prospect in the Cubs’ organization. The Cubs selected Nolasco in the fourth round of the 2001 draft out of Rialto High School in California.

W-L IP SO BB H ERA SV

Nolasco 1-0 15.0 12 2 10 1.20 .0

FOR MORE INFORMATION CONTACT:

SOUTHERN LEAGUE (770) 321-0400

media@southernleague.com

Southern League News

Montgomery Biscuits: Announced RF Delmon Young was promoted to AAA Durham Bulls of the International League.

Huntsville Stars: Announced RHP Dana Eveland was promted to the Milwaukee Brewers of the National League

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 08:35 PM)
Tom, what are your thoughts on Delmon?

Well his a 5 tool player will be a much better player than his brother mostly because of his speed and defense has a cannon in RF. Still struggles with a good breaking pitch but he is only 19. Has a sweet swing can hit the ball out of any park either way.

BA has a new prospect hot sheet out, Anderson in at #8.

8. Brian Anderson, of, White Sox (Triple-A Charlotte)

As the White Sox look to add a bat to the lineup down the stretch, could the answer be right in front of them in Anderson? The 2003 first-round pick is batting .387 in July, including a 11-for-21 stretch in his last five games with four home runs.

I've been getting the Baseball America Prospect Report -- I signed up for it, and a couple names caught my eye.

Carrillo seems to be doing pretty well. 2.79 ERA in the California League (that's a high-A league, right?).

Stephen Drew is raking in the same league. He's hitting .366.

Dan -- any chance you have the April/May/June/July stats that you've chronicled each month archived somewhere? I'd like to look at some numbers, I'm not too busy over the summer. I just want to get a grasp of who's really improving, and who's just treading water.

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 02:21 AM)
Dan -- any chance you have the April/May/June/July stats that you've chronicled each month archived somewhere?  I'd like to look at some numbers, I'm not too busy over the summer.  I just want to get a grasp of who's really improving, and who's just treading water.

I got the April Stats on my geocities page since Jason hasn't uploaded it onto the FS server yet. Here's all 3.

April Stats

May Stats

June Stats

Delmon Young on 2 Sox prospects/players from yesterday's Daily Dish at BA:

On White Sox righthander Bobby Jenks:

"I don't want to face him anymore either. He throws too hard with that curveball around 87 (mph). And he's always accurate."

On White Sox righthander Sean Tracey:

"He's a competitor. He made me look like a fool the last time I faced him. He kept mixing it up in and out, changing speeds and it looked exactly the same out of his hand every time."

Liriano has a 1.62 ERA in 9 starts in AAA....with 28 hits, 17 walks, and 73 Ks in 61 innings.

This guy is head an shoulders better than Loshe and Mays, and is probably less than a year away from being better than Silva and Radke. I have no clue what he's still doing in the minors. I've seen him pitch once, and he's DOMINANT. Easy 97MPH from a lefty. That rotation is going to be deadly.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 5, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
Liriano has a 1.62 ERA in 9 starts in AAA....with 28 hits, 17 walks, and 73 Ks in 61 innings.

This guy is head an shoulders better than Loshe and Mays, and is probably less than a year away from being better than Silva and Radke. I have no clue what he's still doing in the minors. I've seen him pitch once, and he's DOMINANT. Easy 97MPH from a lefty. That rotation is going to be deadly.

Playing the AL Central is going to be a real b**** in the coming years... Lots of good arms coming through. Sowers from Cleveland, Verlander from Detroit, Liriano.

I really hope that McCarthy turns out to be a good #2-#3. I'm not totally sold on Garland continuing to pitch like a #1-#2 (but I think he'll be a damn good #3 for us behind Buehrle and Garcia). I think McCarthy will have a shot at making next year's rotation, but I'm not sure...

Ideally, you can keep El Duque in a swingman role, get something for Contreras (maybe he'd do better in the NL?) -- and sign a pitcher that would push McCarthy (and maybe even Garland) down a spot.

Man... it would have been really nice if the Sox got Pedro this offseason. Bah -- I'm just crying over spilt milk.