McCarthy

mr_genius

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Then send him down. We're not doing him any favors by having him on the bench.

He did well for 4 innings and then made a mental error in a bad situation. He'll learn. Get him out there now while we can afford for him to take his lumps.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
Just reported on ESPN1000.

BMAC will be skipped in his next start.

Garland will pitch instead.

Ok, i didn't think they should start him vs. the Cubs anyways. I know he did well last time he played them, but i feel more confident with Jon pitching vs. them.

The McCarthy we saw yesterday is not ready for the show or big league hitters. The McCarthy we saw in spring training is definitely ready for both of those things. The difference between these two McCarthys? A good changeup that he throws often and can locate and the location of his fastball. McCarthy is afraid to throw his change for some reason, as he only threw it once last night. It was effective the time he did throw it, so I don't know why he wouldn't continue throwing it. Also, he's throwing his fastball too high a lot of the time, and it's not the same pitch as the one that is low in the zone. His curveball is the only pitch that appears the same as the one that he threw in the spring, and it was effective when he threw it, but he didn't throw it very much either. I'm not sure if he's scared to throw anything but the fastball or what, but I think the coaching staff should find a way to force him to throw his offspeed pitches more often, because I think it would lead to better success than he's had thus far.

QUOTE(Dam8610 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 02:54 PM)
The McCarthy we saw yesterday is not ready for the show or big league hitters. The McCarthy we saw in spring training is definitely ready for both of those things. The difference between these two McCarthys? A good changeup that he throws often and can locate and the location of his fastball. McCarthy is afraid to throw his change for some reason, as he only threw it once last night. It was effective the time he did throw it, so I don't know why he wouldn't continue throwing it. Also, he's throwing his fastball too high a lot of the time, and it's not the same pitch as the one that is low in the zone. His curveball is the only pitch that appears the same as the one that he threw in the spring, and it was effective when he threw it, but he didn't throw it very much either. I'm not sure if he's scared to throw anything but the fastball or what, but I think the coaching staff should find a way to force him to throw his offspeed pitches more often, because I think it would lead to better success than he's had thus far.

I thougth I saw him try to throw it a couple of times and miss the strike zone badly.

I don't think you sit him and have Garland rest on short rest. Garland can get rocked and people will be asking for Ozzie's head. And if BMac isn't going to pitch, send him down and bring up another pitcher(like Adkins as a LR). I don't like BMac, but I hate the idea of pitching our guys on short rest. It didn't work last year and it won't this year IMHO.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
any word on when Orlando Hernandez will be ready to return?  If he's not ready to go do you guys have any idea who will take the 5th starter role?  IMO we should keep Cotts in the pen and not piece him into the starting rotation.

I don't even think we know what the problem is with El Duque right now...he's ready to go one day, then not ready to go the next.

I'm not surprised he needed a couple stints on the DL in the middle of the year. I still think he'll be back in place by the All Star break.

And good God, right now we shouldn't even consider moving Cotts out of the pen. As dominant as he has been in that role...and given the fact that he's a lefty out of the pen, my God that's a luxury.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:22 PM)
I don't think you sit him and have Garland rest on short rest. Garland can get rocked and people will be asking for Ozzie's head. And if BMac isn't going to pitch, send him down and bring up another pitcher(like Adkins as a LR). I don't like BMac, but I hate the idea of pitching our guys on short rest. It didn't work last year and it won't this year IMHO.

Garland won't really be on short rest. The day off on Thursday will mean that Garland will be pitching Sunday after 4 days rest. We have the day off Monday after the scrubbies series (i think) as well.

QUOTE(mr_genius @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 05:31 PM)
any word on when Orlando Hernandez will be ready to return?  If he's not ready to go do you guys have any idea who will take the 5th starter role?  IMO we should keep Cotts in the pen and not piece him into the starting rotation.

Probably McCarthy

Why not take a chance on seeing if this kid can work through his struggles and get confidence in his pitches back(like as in, actually throwing them, and then throwing them well)? It's not like we're in the middle of a close race where 3 losses in a row from the 5th spot is gonna kill our chances of winning a thing. At the very, very worst, it means Minnesota and Cleveland gain 3 games in those games. That means they are 5 out instead of 8 out.

Personally, I am all for McCarthy starting every game until Duque gets back. Let him get experience, let him take his lumps, let him try and pitch through the struggles.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
Probably McCarthy

Personally, I am all for McCarthy starting every game until Duque gets back.  Let him get experience, let him take his lumps, let him try and pitch through the struggles.

We gave Garland a couple years to do that, and we're going to get a 12 game winner tonight out of our efforts.

QUOTE(witesoxfan @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:38 PM)
Probably McCarthy

Why not take a chance on seeing if this kid can work through his struggles and get confidence in his pitches back(like as in, actually throwing them, and then throwing them well)?  It's not like we're in the middle of a close race where 3 losses in a row from the 5th spot is gonna kill our chances of winning a thing.  At the very, very worst, it means Minnesota and Cleveland gain 3 games in those games.  That means they are 5 out instead of 8 out. 

Personally, I am all for McCarthy starting every game until Duque gets back.  Let him get experience, let him take his lumps, let him try and pitch through the struggles.

yea, thats pretty much what i've been thinking. our middle relief has been lights out lately so we might be able to get away a few (between 3 and 6) more McCarthy starts.

QUOTE(ISF @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:46 PM)
Then send him down. We're not doing him any favors by having him on the bench.

He did well for 4 innings and then made a mental error in a bad situation. He'll learn. Get him out there now while we can afford for him to take his lumps.

Its only two extra days, it doesn't make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things. If its me, I make Brandon sit on the bench in between Mark Buehrle and AJ Pierz, and talk about nothing but the mental aspect of pitching.

QUOTE(sayitaintso @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 04:51 PM)
Ok, i didn't think they should start him vs. the Cubs anyways. I know he did well last time he played them, but i feel more confident with Jon pitching vs. them.

It shouldn't have anything to do with the Cubs. They should skip that slot every chance they get until Duque is back and at 100%.

I never liked the idea of pitching BMac against the Cubs so soon after they just saw him anyway. But because of the day off Thursday, I would skip him no matter whom we were playing. Every game counts. If we can skip him again next week, we should. He should only pitch when we really need that fifth starter.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jun 21, 2005 -> 06:04 PM)
Its only two extra days, it doesn't make that big of a difference in the grand scheme of things.  If its me, I make Brandon sit on the bench in between Mark Buehrle and AJ Pierz, and talk about nothing but the mental aspect of pitching.

Or maybe about how Buehrle throws any pitch in any count, including his offspeed stuff.

It would have been nice if he stepped right in and dominated but like everybody says, he's probably not ready.

Since we won the game anyway against the s*** Royals, I'd give him one more start.

It's not like he cost us a game.