Double Digit Lead in the Central!!

Kalapse

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(jerseysox @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:02 PM)
i just noticed -- you've been at nearly a third of the sox's losses. stop going!!!! lol

It's all good, I found my Sox pride wrist band that I lost and they've won 5 straight when I wear it.

:)

Don't ruin the party.

And we ARE talking about reality. In case you haven't noticed, the original poster simply mentioned a 10 game lead. Where in that do you not see reality, and where is it implied that the team has won anything yet?

My post was not directed at the thread starter or necessarily at posts in this thread. Rather, it was directed to the general trend among Sox fans -- both here, at other websites, and in real life -- to start thinking too far ahead and thinking that victory is all but assured.

Now, I pride myself on not going out before the start of the season and declaring "This is the year" or pre-coronating my team. I look down upon fans of the national league ballclub who do that sort of stuff; but now I see the same behavior among my fellow Sox fans. Granted, it's more justified, but still. Reality check.

That said, today the Twins are faced with a reality check too. And I totally prefer ours to theirs.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:05 PM)
My post was not directed at the thread starter or necessarily at posts in this thread. Rather, it was directed to the general trend among Sox fans -- both here, at other websites, and in real life -- to start thinking too far ahead and thinking that victory is all but assured.

Now, I pride myself on not going out before the start of the season and declaring "This is the year" or pre-coronating my team. I look down upon fans of the national league ballclub who do that sort of stuff; but now I see the same behavior among my fellow Sox fans. Granted, it's more justified, but still. Reality check.

That said, today the Twins are faced with a reality check too. And I totally prefer ours to theirs.

I don't think that's a problem seeing how Sox fans are born naturally pessimistic. Just wait until the next loss and you'll see some true pessimism. Fire Ozzie, trade so and so, making up new nicknames for players who are under performing. It's the way Sox fans naturally think but when you have a 7 game win streak, the best record in baseball and a 10 game lead in your division people tend to get a little excited.

I totally understand what your saying but for today, just today I want to get excited about this team in a true Homer point of view. Tomorrow I'll go back to thinking the end is near and the House of Cards effect.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:11 PM)
I don't think that's a problem seeing how Sox fans are born naturally pessimistic. Just wait until the next loss and you'll see some true pessimism.

Don't pit us all in that group, but unfortunately, you are really right. It's kind of sad.

QUOTE(Antonio Osuna @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 10:55 PM)
Big whoop. This team has won absolutely nothing.

The 1983 team was up 20 games at one point. The 2001 Mariners were around that too. The 2000 White Sox were in the lower single-digits consistently. They faded without winning a playoff game.

The 2003 Royals were up 7.5 at the All-Star Game, 8.5 over the team that won the division that year. Where are the 2003 World Series flags at Kauffman?

We must never, ever lose sight of reality, folks. This team has yet to win anything, this team is still vulnerable. This team can still improve, and I hope that Kenny isn't among those who is drunk with joy over our recent win streak. It sure sounds like Ozzie isn't.

That said, it could be worse. Far worse. There's nothing wrong with celebrating that. But let's not go overboard.

Close to 100 years of not pulling it off certainly should give rise to caution. And when you look at Kenny, you don't see someone who is drunk with joy. He looks far too serious. Like he is contemplating what could upset the applecart. Me likey. :) I really don't think they are this much better, talent-wise than the rest of the Central. But we do seem to have an attitude. With that thought in mind, I give the highest marks to Ozzie and Kenny. And whether or not we get too drunk on euphoria, I don't worry about Kenny and Oz.

Edited by ottawa_sox

How many games do we have againt the Twins this year. 18? 19?

In any case, with 5 games accounted for, that leaves us with 13 or 14 games. If the Twins beat us 2 out of 3 each time, for a total of about 9 games, that means we win 4 or 5, and, assuming we play equally in all other series, we're still up 4 or 5 games.

The Twins don't just have to beat us -- they have to sweep us. That is, of course, unless we fall apart against other teams.

While this is great to be where we are at, but recent history has shown that the team that gets through the last month of the season on a high note is the one that rides the wave to the LCS or the World Series (See Cubs, Marlins, Angels etc)

I truly hope that if we get the division wrapped up with 15 days to go, we figure out a way to not get too fat sitting around.....complacency before the playoffs has doomed many a great team

I would hate for this to happen to us this year....

I am very happy, the Twins look horrible right now. Their infield defense which has improved their pitching the past few years is not there anymore and neither is the clutch hitting. They have a lot of rookies and utility players in the infield besides Mauer and Morneau. Rivas has fallen off and they can't seem to fill in Guzman's and Koskie's shoes too well.

Their pitching has been bad too, Lohse also has fallen off. Silva has the knee injury, no one knows for sure if he will hold up the rest of the season. Radke is having a little injury problems and Santana just hasn't been Santana. Mays was acutally doing well but he just got rocked. Their bullpen is also in a bad slump.

With these things in mind and our current stand point, this division better be ours. It will take a lot for them to overcome us, keep in mind though they are the best second half team in baseball. They play pretty much the same schedule as us just different teams at different times. If the sox keep winning their series and aviod big slumps this division is a lock. Time will tell but I think we are doing pretty good, I want to think that, but my body won't let me. My body still tells me "were talking about the damn Twins here."

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jun 22, 2005 -> 08:46 PM)
The Twins drop another to the Tigers and the Indians fall to the Red Sox. Our beloved White Sox now have a 10 game lead in the AL central!

:gosox3:  :gosox2:  :gosox1:  :gosox4:

Team       W   L    GB
White Sox  49  22   -
Twins      38  31  10
Indians    37  33  11.5
Tigers     35  33  12.5
Royals     25  47  24.0

What I find interesting is that there are four teams in the Central over .500.

The Twins do not have the starting staff this year to turn it on in the 2nd half.

I'm not talking about Radke. He's sure to put his cape on like he always does after the break. But look at Lohse, Mays, & Silva:

Twins: ALC 10 gb, WC 2 gb

A-28 Silva, Carlos MIN R 3.90NPERA, 87.1IP, 28K's .747OOP

A-42 Lohse, Kyle MIN R 4.60NPERA, 72.2IP, 35K's .812OOP

A-45 Mays, Joe MIN R 4.83NPERA, 81.0IP, 26K's, .818OOP

All of them are woefully low in K's. To illustrate the point ..

B-76 Hernandez, Orlando CHW R 5.18NPERA 62.2IP 42K's .828OOP

Look at the difference in innings & then K's. El Duque isn't even close to pitching his best stuff this year.

It's doubtful 2 of the 3 will don a cape with Radke after the break. If they have any shot at winning the WC or overtaking the Sox that's exactly what will need to happen. Their only other alternative is to trade for a starter.

CLE: ALC 11.5 gb, 3.5 gb

CLE on the other hand looks formidable if they can get on a hitting streak.

A-11 Westbrook, Jake CLE R 3.34NPERA 90.2IP 50K's .682OOP

A-15 Lee, Cliff CLE L 3.46NPERA 90.2IP 68K's .702OOP

A-23 Millwood, Kevin CLE R 3.76NPERA 70.0 57K's .731OOP

A-24 Sabathia, C.C. CLE L 3.76NPERA 83.0 58K's .717OOP

B-60 Elarton, Scott CLE R 4.30NPERA 67.2 40K's .781OOP

Westbrook & CC are capable of jumping into the top 10 after the break.

If that happens they will have a better rotation than ours because of the two dominant lefties. Forget the division CLE should be thinking WC because they have the pitching to compete in the post season. It's the White Sox job to do everything in their power to prevent that from happening.

DET: ALC 12.5 gb, WC 4.5 gb

A-10 Bonderman, Jeremy DET R 3.32NPERA, 102.2IP 82K .681OOP

A-12 Johnson, Jason DET R 3.39NPERA 91.0IP 44K .684OOP

A-17 Robertson, Nate DET L 3.59NPERA 86.0IP 46K .699OOP

A-35 Maroth, Mike DET L 4.18NPERA 92.1IP 54K .766OOP

B-80 Ledezma, Wil DET L 5.84NPERA 49.2IP 30K .894OOP

DET has the $ to burn to go out & get another quality starter. With Maggs returning in the 2nd half this team could go on a tear. They destroyed Mays & Lohse in MIN this week & finish with Johnson vs Silva tonight. A good shot at a sweep. They've got a tough schedule to close out the break. But if they do well against it their confidence will be sky high. Especially if they win a series vs us at home.

If you had to ask which team is likely to be both < 10 gb & in 2nd place in the ALC before the break it would be hard not to say the Tiggers. If they make a deal for a solid starter (Oswalt) this team has the offense to shift into a higher gear & make up ground quickly. They've got 11 games left against us to do it with.

Ozzie is right in keeping the team firmly grounded in the need to look at every game as if the two teams competing are even.

Edited by JUGGERNAUT