College Financial Aid

Middle Buffalo

Maybe someone out there can help out with some info. My wife's sister was accepted to Sarah Lawrence College in NY. Tuition is approx. $50K per year. The FA package (loans, work-study, etc) offered to her leaves her about $25K short. Any ideas where she can go for more help financially? Banks won't lend an 18 year old that kind of money without a co-signer.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 12:32 PM)
Maybe someone out there can help out with some info.  My wife's sister was accepted to Sarah Lawrence College in NY.  Tuition is approx. $50K per year.  The FA package (loans, work-study, etc) offered to her leaves her about $25K short.  Any ideas where she can go for more help financially?  Banks won't lend an 18 year old that kind of money without a co-signer.

There is a ton of money to be had out there; you just have to dig it out.

Can a mod please move this over to SLAP to help this guy out? Thanks.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:32 PM)
Tuition is approx. $50K per year.

What!? I've never heard of a college charging $25k/semester. I'm an out of state student and it's around $10k for me.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
What!?  I've never heard of a college charging $25k/semester.  I'm an out of state student and it's around $10k for me.

You're living in a box...and a cheap world at that. If it's a private school that's any decent, tuition is towards 40k a year.

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:48 PM)
What!?  I've never heard of a college charging $25k/semester.  I'm an out of state student and it's around $10k for me.

Take a look at private or Catholic college tuition.. :o :ph34r:

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Sorry, wasn't sure where to post it.  Gamethread, maybe? Thanks for moving it.

Welcome to SL&P Bobby now quit peeking in your sisters bedroom.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 02:37 PM)
Welcome to SL&P Bobby now quit peeking in your sisters bedroom.

and by the way, contact the financial aid office at the University, it's their job to know.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 01:52 PM)
You're living in a box...and a cheap world at that. If it's a private school that's any decent, tuition is towards 40k a year.

Ok so where did the 25% increase from your fairly high estimate come from?

QUOTE(3E8 @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
Ok so where did the 25% increase from your fairly high estimate come from?

NY State and out of state student..??? :huh

St Xavier here in Illinois is nearly $25K (I believe a semester as well, but I'm going from memory from the newsletter) but that's with room & board.

I'd say that the norms for good private schools, say Carnegie Mellon and Washington at St. Louis will run about somewhere in the vicinity of $35K. Oddly enough, it will only cost my family and I $22K to study in Germany next year.

QUOTE(Cerbaho-WG @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 03:31 PM)
I'd say that the norms for good private schools, say Carnegie Mellon and Washington at St. Louis will run about somewhere in the vicinity of $35K. Oddly enough, it will only cost my family and I $22K to study in Germany next year.

Tell the Germans that and they'll be shocked at how much you have to pay.....

And I don't think there's out of state tuition for private schools like S.L., Steff. It's just a very pricey Ivy League type school that you'll obviously pay through the nose for.

A good school will help you find a way to finance it. If not they're more concerned about getting the money than the good students that will further its reputation--so forget about those. I maintain you can get as good an education at U of I as you can at Harvard--it's all about how much time/effort you put in.

QUOTE(ChiSoxyGirl @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 06:11 PM)
And I don't think there's out of state tuition for private schools like S.L., Steff. It's just a very pricey Ivy League type school that you'll obviously pay through the nose for.

A good school will help you find a way to finance it. If not they're more concerned about getting the money than the good students that will further its reputation--so forget about those. I maintain you can get as good an education at U of I as you can at Harvard--it's all about how much time/effort you put in.

Yea.. I was just guessing. To me the $50K # doesn't sound that high. Not when I've seen bills for Northwestern :o

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 1, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
Yea.. I was just guessing. To me the $50K # doesn't sound that high. Not when I've seen bills for Northwestern  :o

Yeah, NW and UC are just stupid. I got accepted into UC, but was like, hmmmmm, spend the rest of my life paying off student loans to get an overpriced and overhyped degree or spend the next 10 years paying off loans for a slightly less overpriced degree from a school with a sweeeeeeeet name.

Never regretted my decision, either

Aw, man, I totally feel for her. I go to George Washington which has the unfortunate title of "Most Expensive School in the Country" (luckily, I'm not in the bunch paying that much. My tuition is about the same as your sister-in-law's). Anyway, I have to fight fin aid every year, so here's what I can offer. Call the school's fin aid office. First, she should call the fin aid office and ask what needs to be done for an appeal. Usually, in the end the school will find something else to give her. Have her make it clear to them that she cannot pay what they are asking. (GW always does.) If that still does not help enough, then have her ask the fin aid people for information about outside loans. They'll have all the information. But I definitely recommend trying the appeal first to try to avoid having a ridiculous number of loans. I hope that helps some.

Tell Her Good Luck!

I just got my fin aid package yesterday. Of course they cut it, while tuition went up, and the amount we're able to pay stayed the same. At least I only gotta find enough for one semester.

I hope it works out for her.

Yeah, even though I know I'll be paying back my loans for a long time, I don't think I'll ever regret going to GW because the experience I got by being in DC are well worth the price.