TRADE THREAD II ~ July 2 - July 8

Texsox

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 05:44 PM)
I dont know but I would like to see Oliver Perez from PIT. Get another lefty on our rotation. I know they have Duke and Snell out there so they might be willing to part ways with him.

Dave Williams is a lefty too.

rangercal told me that he would love to get Perez as well...

I would think that he might be too much of a risk to put on the 25 man this year.

Edited by knightni

• Replies 812
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 07:44 AM)
I dont know but I would like to see Oliver Perez from PIT. Get another lefty on our rotation. I know they have Duke and Snell out there so they might be willing to part ways with him.

The way he pitched last season and in brief moments this season makes me think there's no way Dave Littlefield would trade him unless it was for a big bat, which the Pirates DESPERATELY need in their lineup (and no sorry Joe Borchard doesn't count).

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 09:48 PM)
Zito is still signed through next year...are the other 3?

The main reason these guys could be traded is the salary. All [except Durazo, who's hurt] have been mentioned by various media reports to be dealt by the deadline.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 04:44 PM)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think Perez kicked something and broke a toe a while back. He'll be on the DL for about 6 weeks. I doubt that he can help us much from there.

Tonight on BBTN, Buster Olney mentioned that if the Phillies fall out of the race he said they may consider trading Billy Wagner and also said that he would be a perfect fit for... you guessed it the White Sox. I agree he would seriously solidify the bullpen. Take it for what it worth though because we all know how BBTN is....

How'd Schmidt look tonight?? By his numbers it looked like he pitched pretty solid against a great lineup, I was out and didn't have a chance to see him pitch. For anyone who saw him pitch how'd he look??

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 01:43 AM)
How'd Schmidt look tonight??  By his numbers it looked like he pitched pretty solid against a great lineup, I was out and didn't have a chance to see him pitch.  For anyone who saw him pitch how'd he look??

Too many walks... He avoided pitching to Pujols at all. Gave up an absolute BOMB to Walker. I mean it was a BOMB it landed like a cannon ball in McCovey Cove. Huge Splash, 20 feet farther than anything I've ever seen Bonds hit there.

Reggie Sanders also took him deep.

His fastball was 93-95 all night, but he seemed to get better as he tired. His Curveball got sharper. His FB was up in the zone all night. He induced a bunch of infield pop-ups, on pitches up and out of the zone, and climbed the ladder for a couple Ks. I was not impressed.

He did, however, advance a runner from first to second with a nice sac bunt, so he could have batted second in our line-up tonight and been a great help.

an excerpt From today's Tribune:

"Right now, if we're talking about playing the division, I think we're fine," Guillen said. "If we're going to make any moves, maybe we need another bat in the lineup, maybe we need another pitcher, but right now we'll just wait and see what happens. Right now we're not talking about anything."

-------------------------------------------------------------------

Interesting that Ozzie said he might need a bat first, then a pitcher. that he says the sox are fine playing the division is true. but getting another bat and arm is for the playoffs.

That bat Ozzie mentioned can only come from a few places [i personally only see SS, as Crede's glove and power for 3B is hard to replace]. And probably isn't a power bat. More like an Iguchi type bat, who can get on base a variety of ways, a #1 or #2 type hitter. An injury to Pods or Iguchi would leave the sox pretty vulnerable come playoff time. The Sox having 3 guys who can handle the bat well and get on base, who can shift between the 1, 2 and 9 spots would be ideal.