93 members have voted

1. 1. What pitcher should the sox get.

• Jason Schmidt (SF)
    • Ted Lilly (TOR)
    • Barry Zito (OAK)
    • Jason Jennings (COL)
    • Forget a pitcher, get Chavez!
    • No one

I was watching CLTV and have heard on Sporting News radio that Jason Schmidt could be headed to the sox this week. On CLTV, they had a Sporting News beat reporter on and he said that the trade WILL happen. I hope it does, i just don't want them to trade Brian Anderson. If they can pull it off without losing him, I'll be fine with it.

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome to the board man! :cheers

Just for further warning, we actually have a whole trade thread thats pinned up at the top. I think nearly all the pages are pretty much devoted to this rumor.

As far as the actual trade, it seems like the sources keep wavering. Its a giant rollercoaster ride.

But once again, Welcome!

Edited by chimpy2121

QUOTE(chimpy2121 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 01:13 AM)
Welcome to the board man! :cheers

Just for further warning, we actually have a whole trade thread thats pinned up at the top. I think nearly all the pages are pretty much devoted to this rumor.

As far as the actual trade, it seems like the sources keep wavering. Its a giant rollercoaster ride.

But once again, Welcome!

Thanks for the heads up and the welcome.

I'm not so sure Schmidt is a great idea unless we get him for almost nothing. His velocity is down from 98 to around 92 and he has a history of shoulder issues. I wouldn't even say it's due to overuse as most Sox pitchers have pitched more innings the past few years then Schmidt has. I believe Schmidt has some sort of degenerative cartalage problem which has been a long time coming.

If we can get him at a bargin (ie, hardly giving up anything) then we should do it, he can hardly be any worst than Contreras AND on the upside, Schmidt may regain that velocity (as he has markedly improved the past few weeks before his debacle yesterday).

In either case, I'd sooner want to aquire Billy Wagner or Brad Lidge to lock down the 9th, as of late our closers worry me, and Hermanson has gotten extremely lucky the past few outings. In Detroit, those balls hit to the warning track would have been out of any other park, and we subsequently would have lost those games, not won them.

I think we need an elite closer that can strike fear into the opponent and press them to score BEFORE the 9th inning comes around. And I know every closer blows saves, but that is not the point...opponents do not fear Hermansons 90mph fastball...but if they see Wagner warming up, they will go into emergency mode in the 8th inning and maybe do something stupid...I mean, as a hitter, who would you rather face...a Hermanson with slightly better than average stuff or a Wagner who can hit 101mph and then drop it down into the 70s?!

Besides, a 4th/5th starter will be meaningless in the playoffs, so unless we get someone BETTER than Garland/Garcia, aquiring a starter isn't the right thing to do, and right now Schmidt is NOT better than Garland or Garcia.

Wagner wants out, and I think we should make a run at him...he also has an attitude tha would fit with the southsiders.

-y2

Edited by Y2HH

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 06:49 AM)
Besides, a 4th/5th starter will be meaningless in the playoffs, so unless we get someone BETTER than Garland/Garcia, aquiring a starter isn't the right thing to do, and right now Schmidt is NOT better than Garland or Garcia.

-y2

The way the playoffs have been extended over the years, it's no longer true that you only need 3 quality starters. A 4th starter is no longer meaningless. That being said, I'm not sure Schmidt is the guy either, and I agree that Wagner would make us a much more formidable opponent.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 07:49 AM)
I'm not so sure Schmidt is a great idea unless we get him for almost nothing.  His velocity is down from 98 to around 92 and he has a history of shoulder issues.  I wouldn't even say it's due to overuse as most Sox pitchers have pitched more innings the past few years then Schmidt has.  I believe Schmidt has some sort of degenerative cartalage problem which has been a long time coming.

If we can get him at a bargin (ie, hardly giving up anything) then we should do it, he can hardly be any worst than Contreras AND on the upside, Schmidt may regain that velocity (as he has markedly improved the past few weeks before his debacle yesterday).

In either case, I'd sooner want to aquire Billy Wagner or Brad Lidge to lock down the 9th, as of late our closers worry me, and Hermanson has gotten extremely lucky the past few outings.  In Detroit, those balls hit to the warning track would have been out of any other park, and we subsequently would have lost those games, not won them.

I think we need an elite closer that can strike fear into the opponent and press them to score BEFORE the 9th inning comes around.  And I know every closer blows saves, but that is not the point...opponents do not fear Hermansons 90mph fastball...but if they see Wagner warming up, they will go into emergency mode in the 8th inning and maybe do something stupid...I mean, as a hitter, who would you rather face...a Hermanson with slightly better than average stuff or a Wagner who can hit 101mph and then drop it down into the 70s?!

Wagner wants out, and I think we should make a run at him...he also has an attitude tha would fit with the southsiders.

-y2

Forget about Lidge. He is young and makes chump change. Why would they get rid of him?

Because they can get a lot for Lidge in the meantime, and Lidge will command a very high salary when he hits free agency. Houston is old, and by old I mean VERY old, and they are entering a rebuilding phase, they cannot pay the price for Lidge while trying to move toward a youth movement because by the time that youth is seasoned enough to make a run, Lidge may be worthless to them. Right now the can get a TON for Lidge.

I still say we run for Wagner, it's pretty clear he is unhappy where he is and they wouldn't mind unloading him. Wagner doesn't have much longer with how he throws at his age and he wants to win now. He wouldn't refuse a trade to the Sox.

Smart money is on a blockbuster deal to aquire Wagner, he can put us over the top.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:09 AM)
Forget about Lidge. He is young and makes chump change. Why would they get rid of him?

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:36 AM)
Because they can get a lot for Lidge in the meantime, and Lidge will command a very high salary when he hits free agency.  Houston is old, and by old I mean VERY old, and they are entering a rebuilding phase, they cannot pay the price for Lidge while trying to move toward a youth movement because by the time that youth is seasoned enough to make a run, Lidge may be worthless to them.  Right now the can get a TON for Lidge.

I still say we run for Wagner, it's pretty clear he is unhappy where he is and they wouldn't mind unloading him.  Wagner doesn't have much longer with how he throws at his age and he wants to win now.  He wouldn't refuse a trade to the Sox.

Smart money is on a blockbuster deal to aquire Wagner, he can put us over the top.

I think Lidge is THE biggest part of the youth movement, he's staying put. Of course there is probably a deal KW could put together to get him, but we'd have to clean house and that would defeat the purpose. They want young starters they can plug in right now. They'd want B Mac and Garland, that would be stupid on our part.

A quality lefty reliever like Billy Wagner makes more sense, but only at the right price. We have an excellent team right now and trading away our young talewnt isn't the way to go. KC did that a couple years ago and have went downhill since.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 08:45 AM)
A quality lefty reliever like Billy Wagner makes more sense, but only at the right price. We have an excellent team right now and trading away our young talewnt isn't the way to go. KC did that a couple years ago and have went downhill since.

Who did KC trade away? Their early season success in 2003 was a mirage. They fell back in the second half that year, then signed some often broken down free agents who continued to be hurt for 2004. They didn't have much pitching. The White Sox have good pitching and are trying to acquire more. If Billy Wagner is available, he's going to cost top prospects as well.

Personally I would like the Sox to acquire Andy Pettite. But I think Schmidt, if healthy, would be a very solid acquisition. When SF traded for him in 2001 at the deadline, he was 6-6 with a 4.61 ERA with the Pirates. He finished 7-1 with a 3.39 ERA with SF and has been lights out until this season. I don't think there is truth to this rumored trade with Schmidt. I trust Coppock, and have no doubt he didn't make up his story. I think the people he talked to might be a little out of the loop as to what's really happening. They probably are aware at what the general plan is, but probably are speculating on the specifics.

The ONLY way Schmidt is a good idea is if it's Joe Borchard for him straight up. And even then the trade is in the Giants favor. I mean if we want a guy to put up an ERA in the 5's (or more likely 6's at the Cell), get totally lit up every other start we might as well keep BMAC in the rotation. At least he'll gain experience for next year and we won't have to give him 3 and a half mil just to get lost.

I would be ok with a trade like Joe Borchard for Jason Schmidt and Cash (enough to cover his buy out and most of his salary this year. Otherwise keeping a has been scrub like him on the roster doesn't make sense. We can do much better.

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 10:52 AM)
The ONLY way Schmidt is a good idea is if it's Joe Borchard for him straight up. And even then the trade is in the Giants favor. I mean if we want a guy to put up an ERA in the 5's (or more likely 6's at the Cell), get totally lit up every other start we might as well keep BMAC in the rotation. At least he'll gain experience for next year and we won't have to give him 3 and a half mil just to get lost.

I would be ok with a trade like Joe Borchard for Jason Schmidt and Cash (enough to cover his buy out and most of his salary this year. Otherwise keeping a has been scrub like him on the roster doesn't make sense. We can do much better.

i never thought about putting borchard in the trade, maybe bonds could give him some juice to bolster his stats and then they would have an all steroid outfield, they would probably rather have anderson

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
i never thought about putting borchard in the trade, maybe bonds could give him some juice to bolster his stats and then they would have an all steroid outfield, they would probably rather have anderson

Anderson has almost caught up to Borchard in the strike out department. I don't think he's as major league ready as some do.

QUOTE(chi-guy2 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)

Is this a joke? Of course they would rather have Anderson... But when the guy your trading has stats among the WORST IN THE LEAGUE if they are holding out for top prospects they'll smoking some serious stuff. HE'S HURT, HE WON'T HELP US. HE'S NOT WORTH A TOP PROSPECT BECAUSE NO ONE ELSE WOULD GIVE THEM ONE FOR A HAS BEEN CHUMP.

Like I said I would be willing to take a chance on him for a change of scenery. But no way is he worth more then one or two of our failed prospects and they would have to pay cash on the deal. Otherwise it's not worth it.

QUOTE(EvilJester99 @ Jul 4, 2005 -> 11:06 AM)
I would love to see the Sox go after Oswalt...he is a total stud but I don't know if Houston is even selling.

I doubt it. They're only 6 games out of the wild card with plenty of season left. After last year you'd think they'd really have to be cellar dwellars in order to sell.