Clemens Rumor

RockRaines

Per ESPN

White heat?

According to the Daily Southtown, Rogers Clemens is one pitcher White Sox GM Ken Williams would put together almost any package to try to acquire. And source has said that Williams will try to see if prying Roger Clemens from Houston is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Williams cannot discuss players on other teams because of tampering rules, but such a move would help the Sox and also keep Clemens from the Yankees and Red Sox, two teams that could make a run at Clemens because of their resources.

The problem is that Clemens would have to approve a deal to Chicago, which is unlikely. Second, the Astros don't believe they're out of the NL wild-card race.

What does everyone think about this??

I know this may cause a few backlashes, but I would be for it. Because I have said it many times, I think this is the year, and we need to do everything we can to try and win it all this year. Clemens is flat out dominating and could really give us the "real" Ace at the top of the rotation.

• Replies 106
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:15 AM)
Per ESPN

White heat?

According to the Daily Southtown, Rogers Clemens is one pitcher White Sox GM Ken Williams would put together almost any package to try to acquire. And source has said that Williams will try to see if prying Roger Clemens from Houston is nothing more than a pipe dream.

Williams cannot discuss players on other teams because of tampering rules, but such a move would help the Sox and also keep Clemens from the Yankees and Red Sox, two teams that could make a run at Clemens because of their resources.

The problem is that Clemens would have to approve a deal to Chicago, which is unlikely. Second, the Astros don't believe they're out of the NL wild-card race.

I know this may cause a few backlashes, but I would be for it. Because I have said it many times, I think this is the year, and we need to do everything we can to try and win it all this year.  Clemens is flat out dominating and could really give us the "real" Ace at the top of the rotation.

I think if a move such as this was made, nothing less than a World Series win is expected. This is more than mortgaging the future, Im sincerely doubting that Clemens would make this more than a half season stop. Plus, the guy is making 22 million dollars this year.

I am on the fence about this.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:20 AM)
I think if a move such as this was made, nothing less than a World Series win is expected. This is more than mortgaging the future, Im sincerely doubting that Clemens would make this more than a half season stop.  Plus, the guy is making 22 million dollars this year.

I am on the fence about this.

I agree with this, I think our team is young enough that if we trade some top prospects, our minor league system is rich enough that we can draw from it in a few years. I think this is the year, and this is the team that can contend. Clemens can only help the cause. I know the rotation of

Clemens

MB

Freddy

Garland

El Duque/Count

Looks pretty damn dominant to me. Any day of the week you can have someone throw a gem.

QUOTE(WSoxMatt @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:38 AM)
I think Clemens would reject a trade here, he ony wants to go to Boston or New York

hmmm, why would he want to go to NY??? They dont look like a team that is guanteed to go to the playoffs so I dont think thats the case, plus Boston supposedly would only pick him up to block the yankees. I dont think that the only places he would go, just because they have the largest payrolls doesnt mean its the case. He wants to go to a contender, and thats us

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
hmmm, why would he want to go to NY???  They dont look like a team that is guanteed to go to the playoffs so I dont think thats the case, plus Boston supposedly would only pick him up to block the yankees.  I dont think that the only places he would go, just because they have the largest payrolls doesnt mean its the case.  He wants to go to a contender, and thats us

Thats not what Clemens has said in the past, He has said NY, Bos or bust!!!

Clemens will never be a Chicago White Sox. I suggest we delete this entire thread, bc he's not coming here.

There are three possible places for him to land, if he is even traded from the Astros.

1) NY Yankees - the biggest probability, and I would put money on him landing here.

2) Boston Red Sox - a small chance, but I think he has burned too many bridges, and with Schilling and Wells coming back, the Red Sox just might think they are alright in the starting pitcher department.

3) Texas Rangers - keeps him close to home, and he would be an extraordinary addition to the club.

... not gonna happen) Chicago White Sox - best record in baseball, no where near home, and not a popular enough franchise in MLB... he will be a Yankee.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:44 AM)
hmmm, why would he want to go to NY??? 

Come back to the Yankees and be the Hero that leads them to the playoffs? I cannot think of why Clemens would want to do something like that.....

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
Clemens will never be a Chicago White Sox.  I suggest we delete this entire thread, bc he's not coming here.

There are three possible places for him to land, if he is even traded from the Astros.

1) NY Yankees - the biggest probability, and I would put money on him landing here.

2) Boston Red Sox - a small chance, but I think he has burned too many bridges, and with Schilling and Wells coming back, the Red Sox just might think they are alright in the starting pitcher department.

3) Texas Rangers - keeps him close to home, and he would be an extraordinary addition to the club.

... not gonna happen) Chicago White Sox - best record in baseball, no where near home, and not a popular enough franchise in MLB... he will be a Yankee.

I agree, no chance. I hadn't thought about the Rangers though, very interesting. God that would be huge for them.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 10:45 AM)
Come back to the Yankees and be the Hero that leads them to the playoffs?  I cannot think of why Clemens would want to do something like that.....

They are going to need more than Clemens to do that, especially with a team who is in that much turmoil, front office and in the dugout.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 03:15 PM)
Per ESPN

White heat?

I know this may cause a few backlashes, but I would be for it. Because I have said it many times, I think this is the year, and we need to do everything we can to try and win it all this year.  Clemens is flat out dominating and could really give us the "real" Ace at the top of the rotation.

I have been for this for quite a while, as Clemens, not Burnett, is probably the only guy I'd be willing to trade for as a high-cost rent-a-player.

Acquiring him is another matter entirely. Houston will soon pass the Cubs for second in the NL Central and at least dream of making a run for the Wild Card slot. So I don't think any of their guys - Oswalt, Lidge, Clemens, Pettitte, etc. - will be traded at this point. Plus it is unlikely Clemens will want to play for the White Sox, though I don't know if he shares Schilling's dislike for JR. I don't think money would be an obstacle, but Houston's asking price might be.

Nonetheless, it's okay to dream. Moving Clemens in at #1 would yield starting pitching matchups where we would have the advantage IN EVERY GAME. That's a pretty good recipe for winning the World Series.

Waste of time thinking about it. Let's remember what he's earning this year.

Clemens Signs With Astros for One Year, $18M

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/artic...-2005Jan21.html

Decision time for Roger Clemens came Thursday night. His agents had finished negotiating a deal with the Houston Astros that would make him the highest-paid pitcher in baseball history. All that was left was one small question he had been putting off since November: Did Clemens want to pitch again? Pressed for an answer, he spent two hours on the phone with family, friends and teammates, before arriving at his answer: Yes.

With that, Clemens and the Astros completed the historic contract. Clemens, 42, will return to the Astros in 2005 for a salary of $18 million.

Do you think the Astros are going to eat salary and send him north?

Houston is not going to deal him unless they are out of the wildcard race, which they are not. For as bad as they have played, they are 6 games out. They've got 2 aces, which could help them mount a decent run. I could even see them being a buyer at the deadline if they are within 3-4 games of the wildcard.

While it would be a bonafide blockbuster for our organization, I don't see anyway in which Clemens comes here. Personally, I don't see him going anywhere.

First off, let me say I dont think we will ever get Roger Clemens, but if we could DO IT!!! I dont care if he is a rent a player, if you have a chance to win the WS, WIN IT!!! Windows of opportunity go by fast, ask Cub Fans. Plus top 4 would be...

Clemens

Buehrle

Garland

Garcia

You cant beat that in a best of 5 or 7

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 5, 2005 -> 11:15 AM)
Clemens isn't coming here.  There's not even a chance.  The chance that he comes to the south side of Chicago is rough -24.47%.  Yes, it's negative.

And besides, I think Clemens is gonna get roughed up back in the AL.

Roughed up you say?? So, lets add a run onto his ERA to compensate for the huge bats he will face in the AL. SO we go from 1.41 to 2.41. Wait, he would still have the best ERA on our staff.