Gammons

Soxfest

Question was top 3 suprises positive this year in Baseball Team wise.

1.Atlanta (OK because of all the injuries )

2.Washington ( OK )

3.Cleveland ( How many games back )

No mention of SOX at all and concluded by saying the Twins are still going to make a run this year. Sometimes I have to laugh at the nonsense.

Edited by Soxfest

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:28 PM)
Question was top 3 suprises this year in Baseball Team wise.

1.Atlanta    (OK )

2.Washington ( OK )

3.Cleveland  ( How many games back )

No mention of SOX at all and concluded by saying the Twins are still going to make a run this year. Sometimes I have to laugh at the nonsense.

This wooden-toothed idiot picked the White Sox for 4th place. Maybe he's just not surprised he's wrong.

Cleveland may be on the list because a lot of people had them being this good. I mean people can be surprised at the Sox but at the same time you had to look at the team and realize if some of there guys lived up to their potenital that they'd have a pretty damn good team.

Of course you could say that about a lot of clubs.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
1. i wouldnt call atlanta a surprise

2. washington should be number one

3. cleveland is doing s*** gammons u idiot

i prefer not to listen to this bastard

ATL: Has had a crap load of rookies on the team and they're right in the thick of the NL East.

Wash: Team was left for dead by MLB last year, yet they got up this season and are showing they've got a few guys who can play this game.

CLE: Eh. Buried thanks to the Sox, people thought they'd be done, yet there they sit in the wild card hunt.

So, the Sox should be mentioned yes, but his other teams aren't crap.

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:36 PM)
ATL: Has had a crap load of rookies on the team and they're right in the thick of the NL East.

Wash: Team was left for dead by MLB last year, yet they got up this season and are showing they've got a few guys who can play this game.

CLE: Eh. Buried thanks to the Sox, people thought they'd be done, yet there they sit in the wild card hunt.

So, the Sox should be mentioned yes, but his other teams aren't crap.

yeah but atlanta always ends up winning the division

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:44 PM)
Nope,  they're going to be making a run for the golf course in Florida come October so as to get the best tee time possible.

LOSERS!!!

not if i reserve all the tee times ;)

haha bastards

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:49 PM)
He probably still thinks the Twins are going to win the division. After all he did pick the Twins and Cubs to play in the World Series.

Cubs?!?!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every time I hear the Flubbs and the word "playoffs" mentioned in the same paragraph I break out in fits of uncontrolled laughter.

:lolhitting

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 09:28 PM)
Question was top 3 suprises positive this year in Baseball Team wise.

1.Atlanta    (OK because of all the injuries )

2.Washington ( OK )

3.Cleveland  ( How many games back )

maybe the media attention on all the OTHER teams will fade if the sox can put together a 4-5 year run. . . .these guys love the braves b/c they have been a power for 10 years - cleveland should've won at least one WS and was great all through the 90s - twinkies have one the division and played post-season ball a lot of times recently, not to mention puckett viola et al.

Basically, Ozzie is right on target when he talks about us needing a WS win to get any attention. Probably we need 2 WS wins, or at least 1 and then a long sit atop the division. So no matter how well we do this year, the BBTN people* will probably ignore us to the end.

but hey, to BBTN* and Rob Neyer: :finger

* BBTN from L-R = boring, fat, annoying and almost dead.

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
Cubs?!?!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Every time I hear the Flubbs and the word "playoffs" mentioned in the same paragraph I break out in fits of uncontrolled laughter.

They make it on average about once every ten years, and they already blew their shot this decade.

QUOTE(Faustian Bargain @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 10:52 PM)
maybe the media attention on all the OTHER teams will fade if the sox can put together a 4-5 year run. . . .these guys love the braves b/c they have been a power for 10 years - cleveland should've won at least one WS and was great all through the 90s - twinkies have one the division and played post-season ball a lot of times recently, not to mention puckett viola et al. 

Basically, Ozzie is right on target when he talks about us needing a WS win to get any attention.  Probably we need 2 WS wins, or at least 1 and then a long sit atop the division.  So no matter how well we do this year, the BBTN people* will probably ignore us to the end.

but hey, to BBTN* and Rob Neyer:    :finger

* BBTN from L-R = boring, fat, annoying and almost dead.

That about sums it up.............WELCOME TO SOXTALK!!!

:cheers

QUOTE(NUKE_CLEVELAND @ Jul 7, 2005 -> 11:50 PM)
Cubs?!?!

LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lol I know I know, but it's true that he did pick them.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 04:31 AM)
3. cleveland is doing s*** gammons u idiot

Does "doing s***" mean putting up numbers like these for pitching:

Team ERA: 3.68

Team WHIP: 1.23

Team BAA: .246

Hell yeah they're a f***ing surprise. I have no problem with them being on this list. I figured that they were a team on the rise in 04, mostly on the strength of their up-and-coming position players. But strangely enough, it has been their pitching that has them 7 games over .500

I don't watch BBTN, but at this point, they all gotta be acting like they know. I can't imagine that they'd want to dwell on their terrible Sox predictions show after show after show.

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 12:03 AM)
Does "doing s***" mean putting up numbers like these for pitching:

Team ERA: 3.68

Team WHIP: 1.23

Team BAA: .246

Hell yeah they're a f***ing surprise.  I have no problem with them being on this list.  I figured that they were a team on the rise in 04, mostly on the strength of their up-and-coming position players.  But strangely enough, it has been their pitching that has them 7 games over .500

I don't watch BBTN, but at this point, they all gotta be acting like they know.  I can't imagine that they'd want to dwell on their terrible Sox predictions show after show after show.

I wouldn't exactly call them a positive surprise, considering a lot of people picked them to at least compete for the division lead, if not win it. Their pitching is doing a bit better than people expected (me included), but as a whole their offense has been a disappointment. Many were saying that they would be one of the best offensive teams in the league, which hasn't materialized. They're 7 games over, which I wouldn't call that surprising. Now the White Sox having the best record in baseball when pretty much no one picked them to win the division and most had them in third (some fourth), I'd call that a pretty major surprise. I'm pretty sure if you would have said at the beginning of the season that "the other Sox" would be leading their division by 11 games, whoever heard it would be telling you to pass them the s*** that you're smoking.

Edited by ZoomSlowik

I will be shocked if the Twins do not cut this lead at least in half before the end of the season. We have watched Minny for 3 seasons win the division. If everyone thinks this race is over on July 8th, y'all are kidding yourselves. Pick your poison, either Minny or Cleveland will make a run. It's baseball, it always happens.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
I will be shocked if the Twins do not cut this lead at least in half before the end of the season. We have watched Minny for 3 seasons win the division. If everyone thinks this race is over on July 8th, y'all are kidding yourselves. Pick your poison, either Minny or Cleveland will make a run. It's baseball, it always happens.

Man you need to stop being a worry wart. Unless we suffer serious serious injuries like losing both Buehrle and Garland as well as like AJP and Thomas and maybe politte... we have it wrapped up.

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 07:37 AM)
Man you need to stop being a worry wart.  Unless we suffer serious serious injuries like losing both Buehrle and Garland as well as like AJP and Thomas and maybe politte... we have it wrapped up.

40 years of watching baseball tells me it's almost never that easy.

We run a stretch of .500 ball and Minny picks up a few games. No big deal, I think the lead is choke proof barring any injuries. But to think the lead will hover around double digits the rest of the way just isn't realistic to me. I also don't see it less than 5 games.