Spod=Ratings

121 members have voted

1. 1. Bandwagon Fans

• Cand Stand them
    • Try and Avoid them
    • Dont hate them or Like them
    • Like them
    • Whatever gets people to the games

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
The idea of supporting a bad team is crazy to me.  I work too hard to piss my money away.

I mean, I wouldn't pay to see a bad movie (Gigli, Ishtar).  I wouldn't go to the zoo if the animals weren't out.  Why in the hell would I go to a game to see a crappy team?

As far as bandwagon fans, they're completely necessary to any team being able to spend money.  Without them, every team is small market.

PS  I have no idea how knowing who the director of marketing makes one a true fan.  That's just dumb.

Besides being a Sox fan, I'm also a baseball fan. Going to any major league game is not a waste of money. The last non-Sox game I went to was Seattle at Texas in May, 2004. Seattle had this very impressive looking starter on the mound named Freddie Garcia.

If I have a choice, I'll attend a game involving the Sox ... whether it's a good team or not ... But I'll always take any reasonable opportunity to see a ML ballgame.

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
The idea of supporting a bad team is crazy to me.  I work too hard to piss my money away.

I mean, I wouldn't pay to see a bad movie (Gigli, Ishtar).  I wouldn't go to the zoo if the animals weren't out.  Why in the hell would I go to a game to see a crappy team?

As far as bandwagon fans, they're completely necessary to any team being able to spend money.  Without them, every team is small market.

PS  I have no idea how knowing who the director of marketing makes one a true fan.  That's just dumb.

You all are making my point for me... If your desire to see a game of White Sox baseball depends on depends on the outcomes of previous games, to me that is the very definition of fairweather. To me a bad day at the ballpark is better than a good day just about anywhere else. To me the team's winning percentage is secondary to the game and my enjoyment of being at the ballpark and watching my favorite team play baseball.

I just don't see how you can say that you won't go to games if the team is bad, yet you aren't fairweather, when your only reason for not going is because the team is bad? What exactly is a fairweather fan if it isn't that??? Oh they are winning, we can start going again... Just because some label it as astute and smart doesn't mean that they aren't fairweather fans. The labels aren't mutally exclusive; you can be a smart fan, and still be a fairweather fan. And I truely believe that the Sox are the biggest bandwagon fans in sports. I know that Sox fans are plentiful, but they only show up when the Sox win.

First, it depends on the situation. I'm 36 and have been attending games since I was 6 and have spent a lot of my money on the Sox since I was old enough to work and buy my own tix. I'm taking a year off, does that make me a fairweather fan?

Second, a lot of you guys on here are a lot younger. I wonder how'll you'd feel after 30+ years of losing baseball and different personal monetary responsibilities. I was 21 once too and remember spending every extra dime on Sox games. I've been where you've been, you haven't been where I am.

Last, the word 'Fan' comes from fanatic. If you're gonna split hairs on definitions and labels, I bet very, very few of us are even 'fans'.

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Jul 8, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
^^^

Quick Bandwagon Fan Quiz

1.) Name atleast 20 men on the current 25 man roster.

2.) What was the White Sox starting rotation in order the first week of the season>

3.) Who is the current closer of the Sox?

4.) Who is the Starting 2nd baseman of the White Sox?

5.) Who is the V.P. of Marketing for the Chicago White Sox?

6.) Who is the current Utility man on the White Sox?

7.) Who is Kevin Walker and does he suck?

8.) Is Timo Perez underpaid at $1mil?

#5 will show how closely you follow the team for sure.

My dad's been a Sox fan for 50 years, and I guarantee that he couldn't get more than four of those. Definitely not number 5. I guess that makes him a bandwagon fan.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
My dad's been a Sox fan for 50 years, and I guarantee that he couldn't get more than four of those.  Definitely not number 5.  I guess that makes him a bandwagon fan.

If he follows the team then he should know. A casual fan probably wouldn't know the answers though, in your defense. For example, if someone gave me a quiz like that about the Hawks, I'd probably only get 3/4 right.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 11:55 AM)
If he follows the team then he should know. A casual fan probably wouldn't know the answers though, in your defense. For example, if someone gave me a quiz like that about the Hawks, I'd probably only get 3/4 right.

In his defense, my dad doesn't remember my name most of the time.

My main point is bandwagoner or die-hard. Who cares? Let's fill up the park and root loud for the Sox. I'm sure that makes it much easier for the players to get amped up for a game. Just look at the Expos/Nationals. Playing in front of a full house can make a world of difference.

I'd love to go to a lot of games, but my funds arent unlimited.

I cant just pull money out of my ass, so if I am dropping hard earned dough on a baseball game, I want to see a good ballclub.

100% behind Middle Buffalo on this one. I am a fanatic about the White Sox, and I love them til I die. But I wont reward upper management by fielding a crap team with my dollars, they've earned some of my money this year, and theyve gotten it.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:35 PM)
In his defense, my dad doesn't remember my name most of the time. 

My main point is bandwagoner or die-hard.  Who cares?  Let's fill up the park and root loud for the Sox.  I'm sure that makes it much easier for the players to get amped up for a game.  Just look at the Expos/Nationals.  Playing in front of a full house can make a world of difference.

Excellent point. Well said. And DukeNukeEm....I understand where your coming from. I dont have too much money to give out for free either lol. But cant you argue that when a team is down, that is when they really need the fans??? :huh

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 03:24 PM)
Excellent point. Well said. And DukeNukeEm....I understand where your coming from. I dont have too much money to give out for free either lol. But cant you argue that when a team is down, that is when they really need the fans??? :huh

Then the arguement changes.

People who started out by saying that they didn't go because the team wasn't winning is different than saying I don't have a lot of money so I can't go.

It doesn't change my POV that a fairweather fan lets the team dictate whether he goes or not.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 11, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
Then the arguement changes. 

People who started out by saying that they didn't go because the team wasn't winning is different than saying I don't have a lot of money so I can't go.

It doesn't change my POV that a fairweather fan lets the team dictate whether he goes or not.

True. Money and Winning/Losing are complete different reasons byt he argued that he shouldnt throw/waste his limited amount of money on a garbage team....TIFWIW.

I probably wouldn't mind fairweather fans so much if I didn't live in the biggest fairweather city of them all, Dallas Texas. These fans talk so much s*** to me in football (i'm a niners fan), baseball (even though the Sox aren't direct rivals, I still hear it from them when they beat us), basketball and especially hockey (i'm a Sabres fan-glutton for punishment I presume). When I moved here in 1995, I couldn't locate a Dallas Stars fan to save my life, then they started winning and making the playoffs. Now everybodies a fan here. Too bad they don't know jacks*** about hockey. With that thought in mind, imagine trying to argue the 99 Stanley Cup Finals no goal fiasco with these clowns. Cowboys-as soon as the team sucks, suddenly they are rooting for someone else, using Jerry Jones as an excuse, but as soon as they win a few games, the smack talk gears back up and I hear about how dedicated they are and that it's been turned around. It's a constant battle. If I could have back all the time i've wasted arguing with these baffoons, i'd be a much younger man. I've lived in several places, visited many cities, and talk year around with fans from all over. Never have I met a bigger collection of fairweather fans (and idiots), than the ones that reside right here in Dallas, TX and the surrounding metroplex.

Edited by Stephen