121 members have voted

1. 1. Bandwagon Fans

• Cand Stand them
    • Try and Avoid them
    • Dont hate them or Like them
    • Like them
    • Whatever gets people to the games

QUOTE(JoshPR @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 05:51 PM)
:headshake  Another waste of time poll. If anybody wants to join the bandwagon so be it. I know i've been a damn fan for 27 years through good and bad. The more fans the better  ;)

94 people who voted cant be wrong ;)

wait.......

Are you that guy who hates polls? :ph34r:

• Replies 120
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Let's face it people want to be entertained. Does going to a sucky play or concert make it memorable ? Same goes for baseball. A winning year makes it special. Those are the things you remember for the rest of your life. So put on your Sox cap and get out to the game , wether you're an old or new fan and root , root , root for the White Sox.

Edited by CaliSoxFanViaSWside

QUOTE(drowninginflame @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 05:55 PM)
The more I think about it, I am ok with bandwagon fans, why?

HOT CHICKS are bandwagon jumpers.

scrubs have some beautiful women in thier park, not to say over the years I haven't been impressed but from years past the scenery is getting better for sure.

i'm sorry but hot girls at baseball games are probably the worst thing ever. THey have no idea what's going on, talk through the entire thing, get up every 5 seconds, etc.

But then again, I have a gf, :lol:

Hell yes!  :gosox3:  :headbang BTW, for those who want to critiwue me on the few games I go to, I'm 15, have no job, car, or tickets. My 1st game this season will be on the 24th of July vs the BoSox. I start traffic on Monday and will get my liscence/car on August 27th. When I get a real goddamn job, My ass is buying season Tix! :headbang

Thats what I thought.

Season Tix are too expensive for any job a 15/16 yr old can get. Tickets are half of it, food, parking, gas will be the other half. Cant afford it pal. Sorry.

I do this to the Bears, and I did it to the Sox. And I consider myself a better fan for doing it.

If my team isnt in 1st place, or going to playoffs, I wont pay to see them. They arent worth the investment of my dollars to see a crappy team.

The perennial 2nd place teams rarely earned my dollars and I havent been to a Bears game (dont want to until they win). I go to Sox games as often as I can when I dont have work because theyve earned to right to my dollars.

Thats not fairweather.

I guess people can support or not support whoever they want, whenever they want.

My boss is a fan of whatever team is the best in every sport. Yankee fan, Lakers fan when they were hot, Duke basketball fan, Tiger is his favorite golfer etc. Is he a bandwagon fan? Whatever you call it, I HATE THAT s***.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 09:11 PM)
I do this to the Bears, and I did it to the Sox.  And I consider myself a better fan for doing it.

If my team isnt in 1st place, or going to playoffs, I wont pay to see them.  They arent worth the investment of my dollars to see a crappy team.

The perennial 2nd place teams rarely earned my dollars and I havent been to a Bears game (dont want to until they win).  I go to Sox games as often as I can when I dont have work because theyve earned to right to my dollars.

Thats not fairweather.

To me that is the exact definition of fairweather fan, no matter how you justify it. If you won't go except when the team is winning, but you aren't fairweather... what the heck is a fairweather fan???

To me that is the exact definition of fairweather fan, no matter how you justify it.  If you won't go except when the team is winning, but you aren't fairweather... what the heck is a fairweather fan???

Whats the point of going to see a loser?

Whats the point of paying to watch your team lose when you could stay home and do that for free? I hate going to games when the Sox lose, I've been to plenty even when they were losing but relative to the rate I'm going now, it's none.

I'm not fairweather because I'm a "fan" 100% of the time. Just because I can barely afford to see our winning team, much less a losing one, doenst mean I'm a bad fan.

Being a SouthSider living in the far North Side, I have to admit that the time when everyone in the area is wearing the SOX's Clothing and Hats and Bumper stickers is really going to fry my butt.. As I stroll the streets with my ball cap on from the 82' season that I actually got in 82' at a game and have wore it ever since ( ok I also wear the 26' cap as well) but seeing more of the fair weathered fans on the Northside is really gonna SUCK. But atleast the sox might finally get some kids interested and converted from sCrUBS fans.

Chip

Edited by osxfreak

I am in no position to judge somebody upon sight as to be a fairweather or non-fairweather Sox fan.

When I see them sporting Sox gear, I recognize them as a White Sox fan. If theyre idiots or fairweather, I'll know soon enough. But living up here on the North Side, I'll talk to all the Sox fans I can.

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)

Whats the point of paying to watch your team lose when you could stay home and do that for free?  I hate going to games when the Sox lose, I've been to plenty even when they were losing but relative to the rate I'm going now, it's none.

I'm not fairweather because I'm a "fan" 100% of the time.  Just because I can barely afford to see our winning team, much less a losing one, doenst mean I'm a bad fan.

I recognize you as a true fan. Fairweather fans I feel have absolutely no interest in a team until they are bombarded by them from the media and decide to ride the wave, whilst knowing little or nothing about the team and/or sport. I don't think you should have to attend games during a losing season if you don't want to.

I hate Cubs bandwagon fans. A lot of my friends who are Cub fans have given up on the Cubs and become Sox bandwagoners. BS. In 2003, I certainly wasnt rooting for the Flubbies.

Edited by SoxFan1

QUOTE(DukeNukeEm @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 12:33 PM)

Whats the point of paying to watch your team lose when you could stay home and do that for free?  I hate going to games when the Sox lose, I've been to plenty even when they were losing but relative to the rate I'm going now, it's none.

I'm not fairweather because I'm a "fan" 100% of the time.  Just because I can barely afford to see our winning team, much less a losing one, doenst mean I'm a bad fan.

Well said. It comes down to support. Does being a fan mean supporting a team by spending money on tickets? I don't think so. After last year, I said I would not spend one dollar of my money on the Sox this year unless they made the playoffs. I've been to 3 games this year, didn't spend a dime of my money, but I'm still a huge fan.

I always say that there are a lot more Sox fans than people think, they're just smart enough not to waste their money. It's been 80 years since we won a WS, it's a miracle even one person goes to the games.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 9, 2005 -> 06:47 AM)
Sox fans are the biggest fairweather fans that I know of, outside of maybe Cleveland.  They don't show up unless we win, and then they all come out of the woodwork. 

The idea of supporting a bad team is crazy to me. I work too hard to piss my money away.

I mean, I wouldn't pay to see a bad movie (Gigli, Ishtar). I wouldn't go to the zoo if the animals weren't out. Why in the hell would I go to a game to see a crappy team?

As far as bandwagon fans, they're completely necessary to any team being able to spend money. Without them, every team is small market.

PS I have no idea how knowing who the director of marketing makes one a true fan. That's just dumb.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 10:47 PM)
PS  I have no idea how knowing who the director of marketing makes one a true fan.  That's just dumb.

Not with the Sox. Brooks has had his name all over everything good that's happened with the Sox PR the past couple years. The Us vs. Them commercial, Sox pride, the wristbands, etc.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 08:49 PM)
Not with the Sox.  Brooks has had his name all over everything good that's happened with the Sox PR the past couple years.  The Us vs. Them commercial, Sox pride, the wristbands, etc.

You're assuming that everyone using this board lives in Chicago and is exposed to Sox marketing. I only knew who he was from soxtalk.

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 10:53 PM)
You're assuming that everyone using this board lives in Chicago and is exposed to Sox marketing.  I only knew who he was from soxtalk.

I'm not from Chicago. And I'm sure if you're not, you check Chisox.com on a regular basis, or some of the Chicago papers online, at least I do. I see mentionings of him all the time in these places.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Jul 10, 2005 -> 08:56 PM)
I'm not from Chicago.  And I'm sure if you're not, you check Chisox.com on a regular basis, or some of the Chicago papers online, at least I do.  I see mentionings of him all the time in these places.

Not looking to fight. I moved from Chicago 3 years ago, and I used to use all those sites until I found Soxtalk. There's enough info here (and on WGN) to give me my Sox fix.