Kenny Rogers Article

BigSqwert

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:18 AM)
He had one problem, thats it.  And he was sorry for it.  He was immersed in contract problems when a member of the pressed accused him of faking an injury. Thats hores*** to say that he is a problem because of one incident.

So if he can't handle the Texas media, what makes you think he will be able to handle guys like Kotex-boy who make up lies for a living?

Also with Scott Borass is his agent, what makes you think that his contract negotiations aren't going to go bad here?

All of the problems he snapped because of in Texas would be just as bad, if not worse here.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:23 AM)
So if he can't handle the Texas media, what makes you think he will be able to handle guys like Kotex-boy who make up lies for a living?

Also with Scott Borass is his agent, what makes you think that his contract negotiations aren't going to go bad here?

All of the problems he snapped because of in Texas would be just as bad, if not worse here.

You are one person who likes to look at the long term and career when judging a player. Kenny is a player who has fought through challenges like being drafted a SS, changing to being on the mound, getting rib removed and grinding out years of pitching. He is the protypical grinder player, who hasnt had much acclaim, but goes about his job being underpaid. This incident is a small flash in the pan, and there are many players on our team now who have had bad run ins with the media including Big Frank himself. Im not saying get Kenny, but in no means is he a bad apple.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 09:31 AM)
You are one person who likes to look at the long term and career when judging a player.  Kenny is a player who has fought through challenges like being drafted a SS, changing to being on the mound, getting rib removed and grinding out years of pitching.  He is the protypical grinder player, who hasnt had much acclaim, but goes about his job being underpaid.  This incident is a small flash in the pan, and there are many players on our team now who have had bad run ins with the media including Big Frank himself.  Im not saying get Kenny, but in no means is he a bad apple.

Hitting a trainer in the balls is worse than pushing a camera off of a person's shoulder.

I wanted the Sox to get Rogers 3 or 4 years ago when he was begging for a job and noone wanted him. Then the Twins sign him and he leads them to a division title.

I remember that we were dying for a fifth starter for years and he couldn't get a job - he kept signing a 1 year deal for about 1 mil. but Kenny was never interested.

I doubt that he'll be interested now with all this nonsense added to the situation.

QUOTE(WHITESOXRANDY @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)
I wanted the Sox to get Rogers 3 or 4 years ago when he was begging for a job and noone wanted him. Then the Twins sign him and he leads them to a division title.

I remember that we were dying for a fifth starter for years and he couldn't get a job - he kept signing a 1 year deal for about 1 mil. but Kenny was never interested.

I doubt that he'll be interested now with all this nonsense added to the situation.

Actually your info is really wrong.

#1 Kenny Williams was interested.

#2 KW offered him 1 year at 1 million

#3 The contract he signed with the Twins was 1 year at $2 million. That was the smallest contract that Rogers has signed since before he was arbit eligible

#4 He signed the contract with the Twins 2 years ago, before that he was finishing out a long term deal with the Rangers.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:09 AM)
Also, after what's happened with Rogers, I would think he'd be more careful now than ever because of all of the negative pub he's gotten.

Kind of like Big Frank, AJ, Ozzie, Mark B, and their negative publicity?

This was my email that was read:

Silvy, you arent high.  Kenny Rogers would probably be the one pitcher who couldn’t take the Sox to the World series, despite what his numbers say this year. Check out his July, August and September numbers compared to his April, May June numbers, there is an obvious fall off(http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/players/splits3?statsId=3974&type=pitching).

Plus, adding to all of his baggage, Kenny Rogers NEVER HAS BEEN A BIG GAME PITCHER.

Kenny Rogers Postseason numbers

3 division series(4 games pitched, 2 started) with a record of 0-1, 7.7 innings pitched, and ERA of 7.04, 11 hits, 6 Earned Runs, 5 BB, 10 K

2 Championship series (4 games pitched, 2 starts) with a 0-2 record, 10.7 innings pitched,  7.59 ERA, 16 hits, 9 Earned Runs, 9 BB, 5 K

World Series (9 games pitched, 5 games started) with a 0-3 record, 20.3 innings, 32 hits, 20 earned runs, 16 BB, 15 Ks

I could care less about the attitude, chemistry, or baggage with Kenny Rogers, to me it is all about the numbers. Rogers has NOT produced when needed, and the Sox would do much better without him.

-Kyle

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
DO you have any years to go with those numbers, because he has just really started to get dominant in the last several years.

The splits that I gave a hyperlink to were the past 3 years. The post-season numbers are here http://www.baseball-reference.com/r/rogerke01.shtml

about halfway down the page

I think team chemistry is way over rated.. If the team is good they will win look at the 70's A's teams that team couldnt stand one another but they won 3 championships and the yankees teams of the past they did nothing but fight in the dugout...

Also the Bulls team with Rodman and MJ,Pippen &Kukoc not getting along.

If we got K Rogers I would root for him because he is on the Sox and hopefully he would be a huge part of us winning the series.Do not think KW will go out and get him

QUOTE(Southside hitmen @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 10:55 AM)
I think team chemistry is way over rated.. If the team is good they will win look at the 70's A's teams that team couldnt stand one another but they won 3 championships  and the yankees teams of the past they did nothing but fight in the dugout...

Also the Bulls team with Rodman and MJ,Pippen &Kukoc not getting along.

If we got K Rogers I would root for him because he is on the Sox and hopefully he would be a huge part of us winning the series.Do not think KW will go out and get him

I think all you have to do is look at the talent levels of the 2003 Sox and the 2005 Sox in order to tell you how important team chemistry is in this day and age.

QUOTE(BigSqwert @ Jul 12, 2005 -> 04:59 AM)
I suggested getting him a few weeks ago and was laughed off the board.

http://www.chicagotribune.com/sports/colum...i-sportsnew-hed

First off, I still don't see the Rangers dealing Rogers. Secondly, the last thing Ken Williams is going to acquire is a guy who coming in creates a huge distraction for this club (and it would considering the media is still yapping so much over his fiasco).

Had he not had that incident, I'd agree that this would be a quality move. But 20 game suspension and the fact that the Rangers aren't going to just give him up (truth be told the Rangers should be buyers for another starting pitcher).

All that said, at the right price its worth a look. The big key is making sure his media thing was more a blip on the radar as opposed to an on-going occurence (but the Rangers didn't seem to act as if it was typical Kenny Rogers).

Mr Roger's neighborhoods:

Apr. 6 @LAA W 3-2 6.0IP 1R

Apr. 11 LAA L 7-6 7.0IP 3R

Apr. 16 TOR L 8-0 5.1IP 4R

Apr. 21 @TB L 3-2 6.0 3R

Apr. 27 SEA W 8-2 6.0 0R

May. 2 @OAK W 3-2 8.0 0R

May. 8 CLE W 7-2 7.0 0R

May. 14 @MIN W 5-0 9.0 0R

May. 20 HOU W 7-3 8.0 3R

May. 26 KC W 8-1 7.0 1R

May. 31 @DET W 8-2 7.0 1R

Jun. 05 @KC W 8-1 7.0 1R

Jun. 11 @FLA L 6-5 6.2 5R

Jun. 17 WAS W 8-1 6.1 1R

Jun. 22 @LAA L 6-0 3.1 6R

Jul. 3 @SEA L 2-1 8.2 2R

Jul. 9 TOR W 12-10 7.0 3R

It was that LAA game that created all this controversy. The team supposedly said something to the press suggesting Rogers was thinking more of his impending free agency & nursing a bad hand than helping the Rangers win. Rogers became visibily upset over those comments & hit a camera man. The rest is history.

Though I would agree the team all but burned away any hopes of signing him as a FA why exactly are they seeking to trade what looks to be the most dominant pitcher in MLB in the first half of 2005?

They are 6 gms over .500, 2 gb in the WC race & 5 gb in ALW. The infamous WFT of the CWS pre-dates the WC (1999). It borders on utter stupidity to suggest they would trade Rogers at this juncture.

This is a Roger's pipedream & nothing more. He is not going any where.