Is Borchard Finally Ready?

The Ginger Kid

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(winninguglyin83 @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 03:08 PM)
this is his fourth season in Triple A and now he's having ONE decent month.

If he has any trade value, now is the time to move him.

Anderson, Sweeney, Young, Owens, Collaro and others are much better prospects.

Collaro has some impressive power numbers, but his near 100:15 K/BB ratio and resulting low OBP make him look Korey Patterson like, except he's 22 and in A-ball.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
Childish schmildish.  My comparison is 100% perfect.  There is not one flaw in it.

Did I say there was a flaw in it? I was thinking the same damn thing when I saw the two pictures.

I don't care how unsuccessful a player has been in the past, if he can help us win this thing I'm all for bringing him up. There comes a time for some players when things finally click. Is this Joe Borchard's time? I don't have a clue. But then, I'm not paid to know whether or he has clicked. KW and the scouts are paid for that and if they think he be of value to this team off the bench, then so be it. I don't care about his trade value. Let him sit on the bench and his trade value plummet, if he can supply a power threat late in the game as a pinch hitter.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 13, 2005 -> 10:59 PM)
I don't care how unsuccessful a player has been in the past, if he can help us win this thing I'm all for bringing him up.  There comes a time for some players when things finally click.  Is this Joe Borchard's time?  I don't have a clue.  But then, I'm not paid to know whether or he has clicked.  KW and the scouts are paid for that and if they think he be of value to this team off the bench, then so be it.  I don't care about his trade value.  Let him sit on the bench and his trade value plummet, if he can supply a power threat late in the game as a pinch hitter.

That's my thinking. The word from AAA is that he finally cleared his head and is just swinging the bat. I fully expect him to either be traded or called up in September, at the latest, if he keeps this up.

Joe Borchard seems like a stand up guy. He has said all the right things regarding his situtaion and not producing. But the bottom line is this, IMO. He was given a very legitimate chance last season when Maggs went down. The Sox were virtually out of it and holding auditions for the following season and Joe dropped the ball big time. He is out of chances with The Sox, IMO. Sell now, while his stock is somewhat high.

PS- I' saying this and i was a Joe Borchard fan.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:09 AM)
Joe Borchard seems like a stand up guy. He has said all the right things regarding his situtaion and not producing. But the bottom line is this, IMO. He was given a very legitimate chance last season when Maggs went down. The Sox were virtually out of it and holding auditions for the following season and Joe dropped the ball big time. He is out of chances with The Sox, IMO. Sell now, while his stock is somewhat high.

PS- I' saying this and i was a Joe Borchard fan.

Why should he be considered out of chances if he may help this years club? It makes no sense to me.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 02:43 AM)
Why should he be considered out of chances if he may help this years club?  It makes no sense to me.

IMO, he was playing last year with absolutely no pressure and couldn't get it done. I honestly don't see helping this team at all.

QUOTE(whitesox91403 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:53 AM)
IMO, he was playing last year with absolutely no pressure and couldn't get it done. I honestly don't see helping this team at all.

The point is that if KW and the scouting dept thinks he could help the team, then why the hell not? Last year was last year. Randy Johnson was Cy Young quality. This year he's not even close. Based on last year, would you have predicted Brian Roberts leading the AL in BA at the break?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
The point is that if KW and the scouting dept thinks he could help the team, then why the hell not?  Last year was last year.  Randy Johnson was Cy Young quality.  This year he's not even close.  Based on last year, would you have predicted Brian Roberts leading the AL in BA at the break?

Last year was last year and the year before and the year before etc...

I don't know how bringing him up would be an improvement on the quality of game they are playing or the chemistry or anything that would even remotely make sense. I like Borchard personally. I watched him play a couple years ago against the Norfolk Tides. It was the first game after he was sent down and he played hard, had a smile on his face the whole game and I could see him in the dugout rooting on his team. He was really into the game. That speaks volumes about him as a person but unfortunately he sucks as a MLB player.

QUOTE(cubbiesuck13 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:40 AM)
Last year was last year and the year before and the year before etc...

I don't know how bringing him up would be an improvement on the quality of game they are playing or the chemistry or anything that would even remotely make sense. I like Borchard personally. I watched him play a couple years ago against the Norfolk Tides. It was the first game after he was sent down and he played hard, had a smile on his face the whole game and I could see him in the dugout rooting on his team. He was really into the game. That speaks volumes about him as a person but unfortunately he sucks as a MLB player.

You are missing my point. For some reason, he has started hitting the ball. Has he finally shortened his swing and learned to drive the ball where it's pitched? I don't know if this is the case, but you don't know that it's not. Hence, my reference to KW and the scouting staff. Last year, he sucked as a ML ballplayer, yes. I'll give you that. Will he suck the rest of this year? Neither of us knows that.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
You are missing my point.  For some reason, he has started hitting the ball.  Has he finally shortened his swing and learned to drive the ball where it's pitched?  I don't know if this is the case, but you don't know that it's not.  Hence, my reference to KW and the scouting staff.  Last year, he sucked as a ML ballplayer, yes.  I'll give you that.  Will he suck the rest of this year?  Neither of us knows that.

Borchard sympathizer... :bang