Padilla Article on Burnett Rumor

Steve9347

QUOTE(robinventura23 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:26 PM)
If he does go to Toronto, they'll have to part with Chacin.

KW may have to up the ante if he really wants him.

I may be one of the few here, but I say deal McCarthy and don't look back. If he turns into a decent starter, good for him, but this Burnett deal can be one for now and for the future.

Edited by Steve9347

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:30 PM)
I may be one of the few here, but I say deal McCarthy and don't look back.  If he turns into a decent starter, good for him, but this Burnett deal can be one for now and for the future.

McCArthy is not helping his value right now

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:23 PM)
Holy cow.  Adding what, $30 million in payroll?  That'd be nice.

The Sox are at about $75 million. They are also 10+% over last years attendance at this time, and that isn't even factoring in ticket price increases, increased merchandise sales (I sure have seen a lot of NEW Sox hats floating around downtown Chicago), etc. Plus we could be staring a deep playoff run, which would be a huge revenue shot in the arm in the short term, and a big season ticket holder boost in the middle term. If the Sox go to the WS, God forbid, $100 million payroll in 2006 isn't out of the question. I would guess we are staring at $85 million or so even if we lose in the first round right now, with attendance finishing the season at 2.2 million people. If we get closer to 30k a night or 2.4 mil, $100 million will happen, mark my words.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:37 PM)
Yeah but you didn't hav e the whole big long detailed post explaining it :fight

You got me there.. I don't have the time to write those 150 worders while I'm here at work. :lol:

I understand that JR might be willing to go up to $100 million... but the question is how? Replace PK with a stud 1B? Who? Our starters are pretty set as it is for next season, so unlikely there, plus the starters on the market next season are pretty much junk (the best available pitcher will be AJ Burnett or Kevin Millwood). Improve the pen?

I understand that JR could go to $100 million... but who is getting that extra cash?

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:41 PM)
I understand that JR might be willing to go up to $100 million... but the question is how?  Replace PK with a stud 1B?  Who?  Our starters are pretty set as it is for next season, so unlikely there, plus the starters on the market next season are pretty much junk (the best available pitcher will be AJ Burnett or Kevin Millwood).  Improve the pen?

I understand that JR could go to $100 million... but who is getting that extra cash?

Big extensions for Konerko and Garland are a good place to start, and could be expensive all by themselves. Off season trades to take on big contract players could also happen in the offseason, especially from teams who are willing to give away high money players for basically salary relief.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:43 PM)
Big extensions for Konerko and Garland are a good place to start, and could be expensive all by themselves.  Off season trades to take on big contract players could also happen in the offseason, especially from teams who are willing to give away high money players for basically salary relief.

Bumping payroll to 100 isn't cool if 10% of it is PK.

LET HIM GO PLEASE

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:43 PM)
Big extensions for Konerko and Garland are a good place to start, and could be expensive all by themselves.  Off season trades to take on big contract players could also happen in the offseason, especially from teams who are willing to give away high money players for basically salary relief.

I can see a Garland extension getting a little pricey, but do you really see PK with this team next year? I actually feel like he's overpayed and should take a salary cut to stay with the team. Maybe that's just me, I'd have to look over some salary numbers, but he is making $8.5 million a year, which seems like a lot for the average he hits for.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 01:47 PM)
I can see a Garland extension getting a little pricey, but do you really see PK with this team next year?  I actually feel like he's overpayed and should take a salary cut to stay with the team.  Maybe that's just me, I'd have to look over some salary numbers, but he is making $8.5 million a year, which seems like a lot for the average he hits for.

Look at the list of who will be available in the offseason. People are going to want Pauly dispite what some people think of him.

QUOTE(Wedge @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 12:41 PM)
I understand that JR might be willing to go up to $100 million... but the question is how?  Replace PK with a stud 1B?  Who?  Our starters are pretty set as it is for next season, so unlikely there, plus the starters on the market next season are pretty much junk (the best available pitcher will be AJ Burnett or Kevin Millwood).  Improve the pen?

a big contract extension for burnett after we get him. ;)

Seeing as how we just signed Brad Fullmer maybe KW is thinking a Fullmer/Gload platoon for 06. Especially since hes seen this season where good pitching can get you.

I am sure he will be willing to replace Kong with a guy like Gload and save the money for Burnett and Garland. I don't know whats going on with Fullmer's injury but I am sure he will be ready by 06.

If there is any trade with the Marlins, I would almost bet money on a reliever - most likely Marte - being involved. It has been mentioned before that a piece of the package that Baltimore is dangling is Jorge Julio, a very solid MLB reliever.

As much as Florida apparently likes Chacin, I would find it really hard to believe that they would be able to top a Marte, McCarthy, and Vizcaino(and I say Vizcaino because Florida's pen has been not so hawt this year, with a bullpen ERA of 4.57 and WHIP of 1.43) deal without hurting the team long term.

So long as it would mean Billy Wagner would be coming to Chicago for whatever price(preferably without having to include one of Anderson and Young, but I don't see the Sox not having to give up one of them), I'd be fine with it.

Pitching staff would probably end up being Buehrle, Garcia, Garland, Burnett, Contreras with a pen of Wagner, Hermanson, Politte, Cotts, Shingo, and Jenks/Baj/vet pickup. If that could somehow be the pitching staff, I see World Series.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
Chacin's a young LH starter for the Jays.  If they want a lot for Lilly, I can't imagine them wanting much less for Chacin.  I guess I just don't follow. :huh

I think he meant Shawn Chacon, from the Rockies. We aren't getting Chacin.

Well Gustavo, I do not think the Blue Jays are going to part with him for anything we have to offer.

According to the papers, the Marlins have asked for Chacin in return for Burnett and have been denied. So Im not sure who we can offer that will beat Burnett.

SB

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 11:50 AM)
I honestly think Burnett will wind up in Baltimore.  They are the only team that has said exactly whom they would trade.

Which probably makes it less likely he'll go to Baltimore. That means the White Sox and other teams are willing to make a better fit. If Baltimore says take it or leave it, other teams are free to top it. As I'm sure KW is trying to do.

QUOTE(BobDylan @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
Which probably makes it less likely he'll go to Baltimore. That means the White Sox and other teams are willing to make a better fit. If Baltimore says take it or leave it, other teams are free to top it. As I'm sure KW is trying to do.

Baltimore has a lot of scratch and with the Yanks doing so badly, and no fear of Boston, they might just try to buy the division.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 14, 2005 -> 03:06 PM)
Baltimore has a lot of scratch and with the Yanks doing so badly, and no fear of Boston, they might just try to buy the division.

I don't think Baltimore can like their chances. Even with a lot of Boston's key players on the DL, they still finished in first at the ASB. Baltimore just doesn't have the pitching to do it and I don't think Burnett is the difference between having the pitching and not having it.