GAME THREAD 7-16-2005 SOX vs INJUNS

• Replies 392
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 01:17 PM)
Don't forget missing Frank Thomas for a good portion of the first half.  The Sox have been more than cautious with minor injuries this season to Pods, Uribe, and Crede (a little more serious injury).

When people criticize Ozzie for making this particular move, or starting Player B instead of Player A ... This is what they aren't seeing. It's not always about "today". He has the big picture in mind.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
I swear AJ has had the worst luck at the plate of anyone on this team this year.  He's hit more hard line drives right at people or shots that have barely been caught than anyone.

Someone actually had a stat that I actually think showed that.

Without a doubt, no one has more bad luck on the Sox than PK at the plate. With even well below average speed, he'd probably have 10 more hits on the season. I can't remember the last time that AJP hit a ball with authority deep into the outfield. Probably the Cubs series.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:17 PM)
I swear AJ has had the worst luck at the plate of anyone on this team this year.  He's hit more hard line drives right at people or shots that have barely been caught than anyone.

Someone actually had a stat that I actually think showed that.

Yep -- his PrOPS (Predicted OPS), which is based on line drives (among several other things), was .100 points higher than his normal OPS, showing he's been extremely unlucky.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:19 PM)
When people criticize Ozzie for making this particular move, or starting Player B instead of Player A ... This is what they aren't seeing.  It's not always about "today".  He has the big picture in mind.

Not sure how others feel, but I don't have a problem with putting benchers in the starting lineup. I just know I get frustrated when it seems we put all the benchers into the starting lineup for the same game (the "Sunday" lineup).

QUOTE(CWSGuy406 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
Yep -- his PrOPS (Predicted OPS), which is based on line drives (among several other things), was .100 points higher than his normal OPS, showing he's been extremely unlucky.

Using the theory that it all balances out by the end of the year, he should have an awesome second half. :D

Everyone keeps saying the sox is some of the worse in offense in the league but they really don't put the ALC in consideration since our division has a few teams on top of the pitching catagories. Not to say that is the reason were not that great at hitting since some of it also has to do with the players themselves.

From what I see though, there are a few players right now that are close to being locked in, if a few more players can get in a groove we can be even better.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 11:18 AM)
We need to rest AJP in this 2nd half more than we did in the first half.  I don't know if he's been tired, but his bat speed is really dragging right now.

I could have swore AJ has had a ton of rest, with how well Widger has been playing.

He's averaged like 135 games a year over the last 3 years and that's basically exactly the pace he's on this year.

QUOTE(Sox Hustler @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
Everyone keeps saying the sox is some of the worse in offense in the league but they really don't put the ALC in consideration since our division has a few teams on top of the pitching catagories. Not to say that is the reason were not that great at hitting since some of it also has to do with the players themselves.

From what I see though, there are a few players right now that are close to being locked in, if a few more players can get in a groove we can be even better.

We need Dye to get back to where he was before the ASB. He's coming off the ball a little too quick now, and needs to go back to looking to drive the ball up the middle, etc. PK and Rowand look to have nice, short swings.

QUOTE(Balta1701 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:23 PM)
I could have swore AJ has had a ton of rest, with how well Widger has been playing.

He's averaged like 135 games a year over the last 3 years and that's basically exactly the pace he's on this year.

Exactly, and as you know, the more playing time for a catcher, the more wear and tear on the catcher's body. I'm not saying we need to bench AJP three times a week, but an extra day off once every other week wouldn't hurt.

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:26 PM)
Juan's starting to hit more balls hard just getting unlucky a bit the last few games, I guess that's what happens when you're struggling overall.

Yeah, I've noticed that. I thought he had a double off the bat before, but Sizemore was shaded that way. When Uribe gets on fire at the plate, this is going to be a special offense.

QUOTE(GoArow33 @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 06:29 PM)
Buehrle won't lose with a three run lead. Why do I have this feeling that this one's already in the books. I feel cocky. But I like it.

Oh boy :chair I think we heard the same thing against the A's about two weeks ago. It would be great if you were right though.

Edited by fathom

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 16, 2005 -> 12:28 PM)
Yeah, I've noticed that.  I thought he had a double off the bat before, but Sizemore was shaded that way.  When Uribe gets on fire at the plate, this is going to be a special offense.

There a few guys in our lineup still that can hit much better: Juan, Pauly, and AJ. Juan atleast is starting to make solid contact, Pauly has looked much much better as of late and I still think AJ will get better, he's just to good of a hitter not to.

OT: Why the hell does everyone think we were the first team to 10 wins, I've heard that on national broadcasts a million times.