Frank...how patient are you willing to be with him

Greg Hibbard

He looks pretty lost at the plate lately. Sure, he can muscle a ball out of the park with his strength a few times, but it seriously looks like he is swinging on one leg. I'm not sure how long we can afford to have a 3 hitter batting .218, or even .230, no matter how many jacks he has. His OBP is also inching down close to .300...not good.

What do you think we should do if this continues through, say, the next two-three weeks?

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:29 AM)
He looks pretty lost at the plate lately. Sure, he can muscle a ball out of the park with his strength a few times, but it seriously looks like he is swinging on one leg. I'm not sure how long we can afford to have a 3 hitter batting .218, or even .230, no matter how many jacks he has. His OBP is also inching down close to .300...not good.

What do you think we should do if this continues through, say, the next two-three weeks?

Frank makes everyone around him better. He takes pitches. I'm more concerned with Konerko at this point.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:36 AM)
Frank makes everyone around him better. He takes pitches.  I'm more concerned with Konerko at this point.

That's part of the problem with Frank right now, he's not taking many pitches and it seems like he is always in a pitchers count. He only has 16 walks in his 101 ABs, to go along with 29 K's.

I think the major part of the problem is that this is April for Frank. He just got off the DL, I think he deserves a month or so to get himself situated. What are Franks numbers for the early part of a season, isnt he notoriously a slow starter?

He will be fine as long as his ankle stays together.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
People will take any chance they get to rip on paulie......its disgusting

Where the hell did he rip on Paul.. :huh

He said he was concerned.

Some people will take every and any opportunity to rip on another poster for no damn good reason. It's disgusting.

QUOTE(Steff @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:55 PM)
Where the hell did he rip on Paul..  :huh

He said he was concerned.

Some people will take every and any opportunity to rip on another poster for no damn good reason. It's disgusting.

ha, I know you have had your beef will PK......

but touche........

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:02 PM)
ha, I know you have had your beef will PK......

but touche........

You don't know much.. I have no beef with Paul. His production and chemistry are not worries for me.

QUOTE(Ozzie Montana @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 05:03 PM)
Frank is taking some ridulous swings up there.  He doesnt know whats going on at the plate.

From Yahoo Sports Frank Thomas Player Page:

April 292 1034 182 308 69 3 57 208 232 167 7 7 .298 .425 .536 .960

Frank Thomas April Splits

Been better, but he is definitely serviceable...the problem is...he hasn't PLAYED in a year. I'm not worried now, I'll worry in early October.

it's just going to take time. frank has at points started slow in his career. this combined with the lingering effects of his injury probably make him a little bit less than normal now.

imo, frank will be fine when we need him to be fine, i.e. august, september and october.

i think it's more remarkable that even with his struggles he's still be a huge contributor to our team even at his current level of play. i don't have the numbers in front of me but iirc we are scoring about a run more per game since he's come back.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:40 AM)
Konerko hit .293 in June and is hitting .291 in July?

Konerko is batting .244 with RISP Frank .240 . Frank has played a little over a full month as far as games played. Frank will get bett IMO. Paulie has had all year . .244 RISP is no excuse if you played the whole year. It was paulie who was expected to be our main run producer coming into the year, Not frank. That's why I am more concerned with Paulie.

QUOTE(DABearSoX @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
People will take any chance they get to rip on paulie......its disgusting

Actually its disgusting how much people overate Paulie.... he could be hitting .220 but when he bats all the fans chant Paulie like he is a god......

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)
Actually its disgusting how much people overate Paulie.... he could be hitting .220 but when he bats all the fans chant Paulie like he is a god......

He's not hitting .220, though. He's hitting nearly .260, and it keeps climbing. I dunno, even though he is slow as dirt if he gets that average up to .270-.275 with 35+ jacks I'll take that from my first baseman. No matter how it's compiled.

We have room for patience right now, which is a bonus...with a 12 game lead, we can afford to "wait" for our hitters to get their proverbial 's***' together...

At least we aren't tied for first waiting on the same thing. :P

Anyway, going back to Frank, I'm willing to give him until 8/15 to straighten it out, but if he's at 2 months in and still hitting .230-.240 (or less!) I'm gonna be pretty damn concerned.

I would basically platoon him with Everett at that point. I wonder how he would react to being dropped in the order.

Yeahhh, I'm gonna have to go ahead and ask you to be more patient wit Big Frank...ohhh-kay?! Fantastic. Greeeeeaat, Peter.

We have a buffer of 12 games to wait on him...we have time.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:25 AM)
Anyway, going back to Frank, I'm willing to give him until 8/15 to straighten it out, but if he's at 2 months in and still hitting .230-.240 (or less!) I'm gonna be pretty damn concerned.

I would basically platoon him with Everett at that point. I wonder how he would react to being dropped in the order.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:17 PM)
Konerko is batting .244  with RISP  Frank .240  .  Frank has played a little over a full month as far as games played.  Frank will get bett  IMO.  Paulie has had all year . .244 RISP is no excuse if you played the whole year. It was paulie  who was expected to be our main run producer coming into the year, Not frank.  That's why I am more concerned with Paulie.

.152 in April

.308 in May

.250 in June

.231 in July

that is ugly...though recently he has been pretty good since the 10th, BA-.420 2 homeruns 6 runs and 3 rbi's in 7 games. Hopefully he's turning it around NOW. no idea what his BA is w/RISP

looking into it more..he's hitting .333 with runners in scoring position after the break.....and the game just before the break on the 10th he went 5 for 6...so it's pretty good since the break....hopefully this second half spells success for Konerko

Edited by TheBlackSox8

QUOTE(SoxFan101 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 11:21 AM)

As much as Pauly has frusterated me this season, I'll always chant his name when he's up at the plate because I want him to succeed as I do with every player on the team.

Edited by Rowand44

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
As much as Pauly has frusterated me this season, I'll always chant his name when he's up at the plate because I want him to succeed.

LOL I agree, I always Chanted Jose JOSE JOSE (even when he struck out 5 times and had 2 errors LOL)

QUOTE(Rowand44 @ Jul 20, 2005 -> 12:31 PM)
As much as Pauly has frusterated me this season, I'll always chant his name when he's up at the plate because I want him to succeed as I do with every player on the tea.

I agree. Wtf is wrong with being at the game and rooting for a player to do good for your team. How is that disgusting?? Should we not cheer for players if they are slumping?

I can't stand when Timo gets a PH opp over someone more deserving, but do I not cheer for him to do good?? Hell no..I'm up there clapping with everyone else

Edited by Controlled Chaos