Official "Deliver us Sidney" Thread

Big day today for hockey fans. Big day? No, huge day. Someone is about to get one of the best players ever to be drafted -- the total package of grit, speed, finish -- Crosby's a total stud.

The Hawks... well, I would go nuts if somehow, someway, their name is the last to be announced. What I mean by that -- they're going to announce the teams from last to first (in order of the lottery), so 30th to 1st.

For people in the Chicagoland area, Comcast is starting coverage at 3:00 EST. There's some other things, like rule changes, primarily taking out the red line (I like it -- I've watched some college hockey the past few weeks on FCN, and there isn't as much 'cherrypicking' as I'd thought), shootouts, and some other things that I'll be interested in hearing.

But, for hockey fans -- especially the diehard here, this is the biggest day in a year, and I'm extremely pumped. This draft is supposed to be pretty decent, and I've heard that so long as you're in the Top 10, you'll have a shot at a good talent (meaning, if you get pick #8, it won't be all that different from pick #4). But, I don't think anyone has pick 8 or pick 4 on their mind -- it's number one...

And, if the Hawks don't get him -- please, PLEASE -- he can't go to Detroit. Or Toronto.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 05:43 AM)
Where are the Hawks projected to fall.

Don't know. They have a 4.2% chance of getting first. Out of the thirty teams, sixteen of them have a 2.1% shot at first (one ball in the lotto), ten of them have a 4.2% chance (two balls in the lotto), and four teams have a 6.3%.

Here's the way it works -- each team gets at least one ball in the lotto. The max is three. Take each team, and they get three balls -- subtract a ball for making the playoffs (each of the last three years), and subtract a ball for winning the lotto in the past three years.

So, f*** you Mike Smith for putting together a garbage veteran-laiden team three years ago that got their asses beat by St. Louis in the first round...

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 03:52 PM)
If they get this crazy stud guy I will actually watch hockey. :headbang

I know all of you care

Absolutely. My life has changed forever. :P

The Rangers win somehow will the lottery, they'll want hockey to be big in NY again.

QUOTE(Steve9347 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:35 AM)
Sidney Crosby would be a monster for this club, but he'll end up magically going to the rangers when they magically win the lottery.

That's my prediction as well. Shades of the first NBA lottery with Patrick Ewing at stake.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 08:07 AM)
When will the season's schedule be published?

As soon as the players pay the printers, as mandated in the collective bargaining agreement.

:D

And as I've said before, the only way I'll be 100% certain that the lottery isn't rigged is if Crosby ends up in Buffalo, Edmonton, Nashville or Carolina.

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:07 PM)
When will the season's schedule be published?

My understanding is Monday.

I already have snippets of how they are going to do the schedule.

Under the CBA, teams will play division opponents eight times for a total of 32 games.

Teams will play the other 10 teams in the conference four times each for a total of 40 more games.

Teams will also play one road game each vs. one division in the other conference (east vs. west) for 5 games and one home game each against another division in the other conference for the last 5 games, missing five teams a season.

The one division opponent not played in the current year from the other conference will rotate in and out in the years following.

Edited by kapkomet

Someone's really going to be lucky today...because Sidney Crosby will singlehandly turn their franchise around.

I can't even fathom the Hawks winning it...it'd be unbelievable. I'd have a Crosby jersey in red, white, and black within a week, once i find out what number he'd be using.

For the few of us Hawks fans left, this is a big day. On top of that, the next 11 or so weeks before the season starts is absolutely huge. Hawks have a chance to really put together a solid team and attempt to win some fans back. They have as fair a shot as every other team to sign free agents and put this organization back on the Chicago map.

Also, Keith...the way i'm seeing the draft, if we don't win it, i want us to be in the top 5. The top 5 guys are supposedly a touch above the rest of the draft. I just hope we aren't super unlucky and get picked 17th or some lame ass s***.

This will be interesting to watch at 2:00...though the draft lottery won't be unveiled til 3:00, i think.

I don't believe there was a draft for the canceled season. From the sounds of things, yes, there are two drafts' worth of players there (but I am guessing some have dropped out - but that is a big guess - Kap could probably give a better answer).