2 moves to make

southsideirish

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
Very good point, but if he is healthy where do you put him? Who do you let go? Vizcaino? Jenks? Is it really worth giving up a lot to get Wagner?

Look at it this way .. Wagner is a proven closer stud. That pushes everybody in the bullpen back a notch ... and you know they can handle it, because they've succeeded with more pressure in there current roles. Who do you let go? It depends on the trade itself. Personally, I'd keep jenks and scuttle vizcaino, but Jenks can just be sent down to the minors. I don't know Vizcaino's status.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Keep bangin that deffered contracts drum SSI... There's no truth to it. But keep bangin it. You're fighting the good fight man.

For those of you who are living in reality.... The Sox cary no player on the current team with a deffered contract.

"the sox love deffered contracts"

Maybe that will make it go away.

They offered Colon a contract similar to the Angels except MUCH was deferred.

I believe that they offer they gave Maggs had a good portion deferred as well.

One other, I could be mistaken, but didn't Frank's original deal prior to the performance clause being enacted have a large portion deferred?

You've got the contract wrong.

Griffey 2001-2008 $12.5M ($6.5M deferred w 0 interest until 2009).

Griffey 2009 : team option $4M buyout OR $16.5M ($6.5M deferred w int).

The deferred payment period is 2009-2025.

You have to understand the Giants are not in a position to where they have to sell. With Bonds being the meal ticket, the seats are sold for 2005 & with him being on the menu in 2006 they will have no trouble selling seats next year. From the Giants perspective making a trade is all about making the team that much better in 2006. So young talent is not what they are after.

If you check out the Giants rumor pages it sure seems like they are waiting for the Rangers to make them an offer. They seem to be locking in on Soriano to replace Durham at 2B. They look at the potential of Soriano - Bonds - Alou in 2006 & feel that $10.5M on Schmidt is not a bad deal.

Of course that's only if they can get Soriano.

We don't have anything like Soriano that they need so the only trades will be doing with them are minor. If you are interested in these players:

Brett Tomko, Kirk Rueter, J.T. Snow, Ray Durham and Edgardo Alfonzo & your not the GM of the Rangers the Giants are taking your calls.

QUOTE(sircaffey @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:42 PM)
They offered Colon a contract similar to the Angels except MUCH was deferred. 

I believe that they offer they gave Maggs had a good portion deferred as well. 

One other, I could be mistaken, but didn't Frank's original deal prior to the performance clause being enacted have a large portion deferred?

You are correct about all of those. I never once stated that they had a player ont he current roster iwth a deferred contract, but I did say they loved them. They do offer them and if they didn't lvoe them then why would they offer them? You have your own agenda Honda and that is fine with me, but don't tell methey don't offer them and that they don't love them, because they do.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)

You have to understand the Giants are not in a position to where they have to sell.  With Bonds being the meal ticket, the seats are sold for 2005 & with him being on the menu in 2006 they will have no trouble selling seats next year.  From the Giants perspective making a trade is all about making the team that much better in 2006.  So young talent is not what they are after.

If you check out the Giants rumor pages it sure seems like they are waiting for the Rangers to make them an offer.  They seem to be locking in on Soriano to replace Durham at 2B.  They look at the potential of Soriano - Bonds - Alou in 2006 & feel that $10.5M on Schmidt is not a bad deal.

We don't have anything like Soriano that they need so the only trades will be doing with them are minor.  If you are interested in these players:

Brett Tomko, Kirk Rueter, J.T. Snow, Ray Durham and Edgardo Alfonzo & your not the GM of the Rangers the Giants are taking your calls.

That is IF Bonds is healthy AND can play the field. There has been much speculation that the Giants will have to trade Bonds to an American League club because after so many knee surgeries he will only be able to DH. If he is indeed traded to an American League club, then where do they go? They are not going to get a guy of Bonds' caliber in return, they will most likely receive prospects and will have to rebuild.

Neither of us know the fate of Barry Bonds, so I won't even pretend that I do. However, the speculation is there and after missing an entire season trying to comeback from the injury and failing it seems like playing the field would not be in the best interest of Barry Bonds.

If in fact he is their meal ticket and the 2006 season depends on him then they will be in some deep s*** if he doesn't come back and he is not able to play the field.

You heard that Colon declined to sign his contract because of deferred money....

You heard that maggs did the same...

You have no insider knowlege of either. You weren't privy to the negotiations.

They wanted more money, not less deffered money. They both got it..

I suppose that's my agenda. Truth is overrated I guess.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 05:13 PM)
You heard that Colon declined to sign his contract because of deferred money....

You heard that maggs did the same...

You have no insider knowlege of either. You weren't privy to the negotiations.

They wanted more money, not less deffered money. They both got it..

I suppose that's my agenda. Truth is overrated I guess.

I guess you heard the same things. I guess they received deferred money in the contracts they signed with the Angels and Tigers? Because if not then the statement you made would be that they signed for more money and it wasn't deferred. Maggs and Colon both complained about the deferred money, so I heard. Did you hear that as well? Truth is not overrated. Sometimes people just include the truth that fit their argument or their agenda while leaving out some other truth.

Edited by southsideirish

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
If you check out the Giants rumor pages it sure seems like they are waiting for the Rangers to make them an offer.  They seem to be locking in on Soriano to replace Durham at 2B.  They look at the potential of Soriano - Bonds - Alou in 2006 & feel that $10.5M on Schmidt is not a bad deal.

IF they get Soriano, they'd have to trade Schmidt to get him. The Rangers want quality pitching help THIS year for a playoff run. Throwing out Chan Ho Park every fifth day has to be disconcerting. Would you accept Tomko + prospects for Soriano? Soriano is a stud and the only way the Giants could get him is Schmidt. Giants' fans are being a little far-fetched if they think they can nab Soriano w/o giving up Schmidt.

Personally attacking? Your harsh in your face style of posting comes off as ridiculous and childish. If you don't like something at least have a point and some sort of evidence to back up these ridiculous remarks. Don't just make a post to make a post. Have some sort of substance to your post. Try calming down a bit before posting and think things through.

Your assumption is that Schmidt is not going to happen. From my experiences with your posts, YOUR assumptions are usually not right.

As far as Huff,  TB is asking for a ton in return. I would rather have Griffey Jr. and he has playoff experience.

I know the truth hurts...and most here refuse to listen.. Hense the in your face stuff..

Actaully my Assumptions are almost always right..Its too bad people only bring up the 1-2 bad ones that I have made.. But yeah noone can be right all the time huh?

AS for Huff/Griffey.. How is Griffey going to help.. Where are we putting him? DH/OF?1B/SS.. Please explain how you think griffey sub-par play helps this team?

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)
I know the truth hurts...and most here refuse to listen.. Hense the in your face stuff..

Actaully my Assumptions are almost always right.Its too bad people only bring up the 1-2 bad ones that I have made.. But yeah noone can be right all the time huh?

AS for Huff/Griffey.. How is Griffey going to help.. Where are we putting him? DH/OF?1B/SS.. Please explain how you think griffey sub-par play helps this team?

Examples please.

Edited by qwerty

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 07:10 PM)

Actaully my Assumptions are almost always right..Its too bad people only bring up the 1-2 bad ones that I have made.. But yeah noone can be right all the time huh?

Your an ass dude. A complete and total jerk. What is even worse is that you are stupid to boot. So not only are you a complete jerkass, but you don't have the brains to recognize it. You are wrong a lot. A lot more than you care to recall. You make assumptions yet state them as if they are fact. You make judgements, yet state them as if they were fact. The truth is you make way too many assumptions and judgements on just about everything and have no substance to any of your posts. To make matters worse you have nothing to back up your pointless arguments. You just throw stuff out there and hope it sticks and most of the time it is a complete and utter bulls*** with a bunch of random thoughts thrown in.

Griffey is the power left-handed bat we need and have needed for a long time. Sub-par? Do you watch him play? You don't know what you are talking about. Griffey could play either CF/RF or DH. Rowand could play either RF or CF. Dye could play 1B or RF or DH. Where is the problem?

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 01:20 PM)
Your an ass dude. A complete and total jerk. What is even worse is that you are stupid to boot. So not only are you a complete jerkass, but you don't have the brains to recognize it. You are wrong a lot. A lot more than you care to recall. You make assumptions yet state them as if they are fact. You make judgements, yet state them as if they were fact. The truth is you make way too many assumptions and judgements on just about everything and have no substance to any of your posts. To make matters worse you have nothing to back up your pointless arguments. You just throw stuff out there and hope it sticks and most of the time it is a complete and utter bulls*** with a bunch of random thoughts thrown in.

Griffey is the power left-handed bat we need and have needed for a long time. Sub-par? Do you watch him play? You don't know what you are talking about. Griffey could play either CF/RF or DH. Rowand could play either RF or CF. Dye could play 1B or RF or DH. Where is the problem?

SSI i gotta side with you here, anthrax has made some bad posts in teh last few days and has been a dick about it

however, i agree with anthrax that griffey doesnt fit anywhere, (though id love to havehim, i just think dye is too big a liability at 1b, but maybe not) but if the chisox somehow made it work it would def. be worth it

Sorry that I have proven you wrong more times than you can recall.. Again 1-2 bad calls I have made..No one is perfect in this business..

I make judgement calls.. :lolhitting , everyone here does this.. I love the post in Pale Hose about Willie getting the starts over Guchi..That my fellow sox fan is fa-king funny..most people fail to realize the truth..Its sad actaully that your White Sox biased is blinded the truth..prove to me I make assumptions on things? This should be a good laugh.. acutally your right.. When I assumed that Russ Ortiz woudl have a better year than the board favorite Jarret Wright. But most here don't see this, they see what they want and state that I wanted Russ Ortiz on this team...

I watch grifffey play.. when he is not on the DL, this is the first time in how long he has played this long into a season? And at 10.35mil .. NO THANKS, we already have a guy who is making way to much and is riding the DL in Frank, we don't need to have him have a sidekick. (For the record I love Frank and want him t retire a Sox, but not at the cost he is making) Huff on the otherhand again, for the slooooooow readers, gives us a back-up at 1st,3rd and LF and RF..and is making a tad less. You do know that we have a limit payroll right? I am also a griffey fan, but not at that price..

Aubrey Huff is not a 3rd basemen. He is an absolute butcher at third. In his career he has 38 errors in 211 starts at 3rd, and a pitiful .930 fielding percentage. He's basically an OF/1B. That doesn't help us very much this year, although he could be a solid replacement for Paulie, or Dye if he ends up moving to first.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 02:10 PM)

Actaully my Assumptions are almost always right.Its too bad people only bring up the 1-2 bad ones that I have made.. But yeah noone can be right all the time huh?

Examples please.

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 07:55 PM)
Sorry that I have proven you wrong more times than you can recall.. Again 1-2 bad calls I have made..No one is perfect in this business..

I make judgement calls.. :lolhitting , everyone here does this.. I love the post in Pale Hose about Willie getting the starts over Guchi..That my fellow sox fan is fa-king funny..most people fail to realize the truth..Its sad actaully that your White Sox biased is blinded the truth..prove to me I make assumptions on things? This should be a good laugh.. acutally your right.. When I assumed that Russ Ortiz woudl have a better year than the board favorite Jarret Wright. But most here don't see this, they see what they want and state that I wanted Russ Ortiz on this team...

I watch grifffey play.. when he is not on the DL, this is the first time in how long he has played this long into a season? And at 10.35mil .. NO THANKS, we already have a guy who is making way to much and is riding the DL in Frank, we don't need to have him have a sidekick. (For the record I love Frank and want him t retire a Sox, but not at the cost he is making) Huff on the otherhand again, for the slooooooow readers, gives us a back-up at 1st,3rd and LF and RF..and is making a tad less. You do know that we have a limit payroll right? I am also a griffey fan, but not at that price..

Proven me wrong? You have the wrong person if you think that.

You make jusdgement calls with nothing to back it up with. Some evidence with some substance to back up your point, if you ever actually have a point. Most of the time it is just useless comments. That is my point. Yes others here make judgements and assumptions, but they actually have something to back it up with. Some type of substance or evidence to their posts. You have nothing. You state something as if it were fact and that is that. Nothing else. No evidnce, no facts, no substance. That is what makes you a complete asshole. Such as saying Schmidt was on steroids. No proof, no substance, no evidence at all. That is f***ed up.

I never made any type of post in Willie starting over Iguchi, so I have no idea what your talking about or what this has to do with anything if you are making a reference to me here. You don't know me well enough or seen enough of my posts to know if I am blinded with my Sox fandom or not and quite frankly I think you have me mistaken for another poster.

Huff costs ten times as much as Griffey will in what you have to give up. In case you don't know, Tampa's general manager is the hardest to make a deal with. He asks for the moon. I do know that Reinsdorf has said that money is not an option. It will not stop us from adding, so that comment doesn't matter. Nonsense, utter nonsense.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 07:37 PM)
SSI i gotta side with you here, anthrax has made some bad posts in teh last few days and has been a dick about it

however, i agree with anthrax  that griffey doesnt fit anywhere, (though id love to havehim, i just think dye is too big a liability at 1b,  but maybe not) but if the chisox somehow made it work it would def. be worth it

Granted I hae only seen Dye play 1 game at first, but he looked pretty good over there. He is a natural athlete and if Paulie can play first how hard could it be. I know he won't be a gold glover, but do we need him to be? Griffey will fit if we want him bad enough.

Pods in left

AROW/Griff in center

Dye/AROW in right

Crede third

Vizquel SS

Iguchi, 2B

Gload/Dye 1B

Pyrzinski C

Dye/Griff/Everett DH

it all fits

QUOTE(AnthraxFan93 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 05:55 AM)
When I assumed that Russ Ortiz woudl have a better year than the board favorite Jarret Wright. But most here don't see this, they see what they want and state that I wanted Russ Ortiz on this team...

How many people here actually wanted Jaret Wright?

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Jul 22, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)

You have to understand the Giants are not in a position to where they have to sell.  With Bonds being the meal ticket, the seats are sold for 2005 & with him being on the menu in 2006 they will have no trouble selling seats next year.  From the Giants perspective making a trade is all about making the team that much better in 2006.  So young talent is not what they are after.

We don't have anything like Soriano that they need so the only trades will be doing with them are minor.  If you are interested in these players:

I still think a deal for Schmidt-Vizquel that gives the Giants Contreras-Uribe and Brian Anderson as its foundation is a sound one for both teams. The Giants want major league ready players, and the 3 guys I listed on our side fit that bill. If the Giants also have any interest in Willie Harris because Durham's defense has slipped, I'm sure he could be added. And if they want Shingo Takatsu as a toss in, I bet we'd pay his salary.

Now if the Giants insisted on BMac instead of Anderson, then that would give me pause, and I probably wouldn't do it. But I would be willing to add Bajenaru or Munoz or Diaz.

It is true the Giants don't have to deal, but at some point it would become worth their while without costing us any key players and without messing up our salary structure.

This deal may not happen until the last minute, but I still think it is possible.

I think one guy that the Sox should look into getting is Chad Tracy from Arizona. It is likely that the D-Backs will look to trade this guy in order to upgrade other positions since they have a lot of money tied up in Glaus at 3rd, and they have one of the top 1B prospects in baseball tearing up AAA in Conor Jackson. I think he would be a great fit for the Sox. He is young(25), cheap(making the min), won't be a FA for a while(4 years), is a lefty bat, is a high average hitter(something the Sox could use mixed in with their speed and power), and he is capable of playing 3B or 1B(if the Sox lose faith in Crede and/or let either Thomas/Konerko go this offseason). I am sure that the D-Backs would want quite a bit in return since Tracy has a lot of trade value and there will probably be a lot of suitors. My guess is that they would want young, cheap, major league talent in return to build around. Looking at the D-Backs organization, it appears that they are pretty weak up the middle(2B, SS, CF, Pitching). I think a package would have to center around either Rowand or Anderson(trade from strength), throw in a good pitching prospect like Tracey, and a fringe middle infield prospect like Gonzalez, and I think you have a relatively fair trade for both sides.

In regards to pitching, I think the Sox should focus on Perez from LA. We all know that the Sox have shown interest in him before, and it appears that LA is willing to trade him. Like Tracy, I think he would be a good fit in both the short-term and long-term. He is young(28), signed for 2 more years after this season, signed to a reasonable contract, and would add another reliable lefty to the rotation. Besides, I think he has pitched better then his ERA would indicate, and it would probably take less to get him compared to a guy like Burnett. Not sure what LA would want in return. Crede might interest them a little since they have had a black hole in regards to production at 3B. Throw in two decent prospects like Owens and Haigwood and you might have a deal.

Add these two guys, and I think the Sox are in good shape for this season and the future.