KW interview on comcast sportsnite

rangercal

was asked if he received ridiculous offers :

- mentioned he found out a lot of teams have interest in Buehrle and garcia. He respectfully declined all offers.

- mentioned no AL teams want to help.

- only 6 or 7 teams look to be selling.

- only looking at a small handful of players. Won't name names out of respect for players busting their hump for us right now.

- Is confident that with the current team they can go all the way.

QUOTE(Big Hurtin @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:23 AM)
Here's the answer to whoever made the post about the downside to being 13 games up.

Who's 13 games up? I think he means by this that since so many teams have a legit chance at the AL Wild Card, there aren't many teams looking to trade.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:24 AM)
Who's 13 games up?  I think he means by this that since so many teams have a legit chance at the AL Wild Card, there aren't many teams looking to trade.

Not now, but about a week ago, maybe two, I don't remember, someone made a thread about the downside of being 13 games up.

If that were the case about the wild card, why would Boston and Minnesota be talking about trading players. It would be one thing if he said he didn't have a match for AL teams. Instead, he said that no AL team wanted to help.

QUOTE(rangercal @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 10:07 PM)
was asked if he received ridiculous offers  :

- mentioned  he found out a lot of teams have interest in Buehrle and garcia. He respectfully declined all offers.

- mentioned no AL teams  want to help.

- only 6 or 7 teams look to be selling.

- only looking at a small handful of players. Won't name names out of respect for players busting their hump for us right now.

- Is confident that with the current team they can go all the way.

I think I just vomitted in my mouth.

BTW Konerko is doing the same thing as Lee was doing last year. The going for homers not executing in key situations all the time.

Kong is looking for

PA519_Power_Payday_color.jpg

As much as I don't think this team is the incredible, there are not any great teams out there. This team is capable of going all the way whether you guys believe it or not. I'm not saying I'm satisfied with the current roster, but give credit where credit is due.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:30 PM)
I think I just vomitted in my mouth. 

BTW Konerko is doing the same thing as Lee was doing last year.  The going for homers not executing in key situations all the time. 

Kong is looking for

PA519_Power_Payday_color.jpg

Lee hit .299 with men in scoring position with an ops of .876?

QUOTE(qwerty @ Jul 23, 2005 -> 11:16 PM)
Lee hit .299 with men in scoring position with an ops of .876?

I remember KW right after the August twins series saying that if he ever saw a guy swing for the fences with men on and less than 2 outs he would puke. That was after Carlos fell over King with men on and less than two outs. Plus I thought he was moved because he was a selfish player.

QUOTE(Soxfest @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:02 AM)
- Is confident that with the current team they can go all the way

KW excuses are getting so old it was attendance first , now it is the chemistry s***.

Excuses? Excuses for what, not making a deal? Since when has KW been the type of GM to sit on his hands and not make a deal he thought could help this club? He's made several big trades, and then has made the small ones that don't seem like much at the time but turn out to be important. Example, Marte.

Just to say he should make a trade, and to get pissed because it hasn't happened yet is idiotic. Making trades is not nearly as easy as some around here seem to think. Some of the trades proposed on this board are laughable. If and when KW does swing a deal, you can bet half the people around here are going to pissed. Either we will have paid too much, or the player traded was on one of their favorites or the player received is not who they wanted and someone else would have been better.

QUOTE(elrockinMT @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:43 AM)
Why shouldn't we or KW or any other Sox fan NOT be happy with the team and the record we have right now? There might always be a player out there that could help us get even better, but at what cost?

Undoubtedly prospects doing nothing for the Chicago White Sox.

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 12:26 AM)
Excuses?  Excuses for what, not making a deal?  Since when has KW been the type of GM to sit on his hands and not make a deal he thought could help this club?  He's made several big trades, and then has made the small ones that don't seem like much at the time but turn out  to be important.  Example, Marte. 

Just to say he should make a trade, and to get pissed because it hasn't happened yet is idiotic.  Making trades is not nearly as easy as some around here seem to think.  Some of the trades proposed on this board are laughable.  If and when KW does swing a deal, you can bet half the people around here are going to pissed.  Either we will have paid too much, or the player traded was on one of their favorites or the player received is not who they wanted and someone else would have been better.

Don't get me wrong here I think the race is far from over, however the luxury of a big lead is kenny has the ability to wait as long as he wants to make a deal on his terms. Last year we needed another starter desperately. This team needs nothing desperately. Obviously we could use a tweak here and there just like every other team but Kenny has no reason reason to rush into any deal. He's going to wait this out and I'd be willing to bet he does make a deal but that deal might be on the 31st. Who knows.

KW can't make the deals most of us are talking about because there are only a few teams willing to trade important pieces for prospects. Most teams in both the NL and AL are only willing to trade/ swap major leaguers so they can make runs for the playoffs.

The sox could swing a deal if they're willing to give up guys on the 25 man roster. Yet few guys would be big upgrades over the players we have now that would be swapped.

All you KW bashers have to look at is the trades that have been made. The bottom teams are trading pieces for prospects and the "contenders" are swapping players.

A little patience is needed. There might not be a big trade in the offing. Guys like Ron Villone, Matt Wise, Scott Erye or Desi Relaford might not be exciting players. But they may be the best players available for the sox without a ridiculous price tag.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:23 AM)
A little patience is needed. There might not be a big trade in the offing. Guys like Ron Villone, Matt Wise, Scott Erye or Desi Relaford might not be exciting players. But they may be the best players available for the sox without a ridiculous price tag.

A lot of time the "little" trade is the one that puts a team over the top.

QUOTE(WSFAN35 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 05:05 AM)
As much as I don't think this team is the incredible, there are not any great teams out there.  This team is capable of going all the way whether you guys believe it or not.  I'm not saying I'm satisfied with the current roster, but give credit where credit is due.

:notworthy :notworthy :notworthy

If the rest of you care to not believe, go to cubbielovers.com. I will say there are holes, and we all know that. But, ANYONE can win this year because no one is dominant - all these teams have holes. Every single one of them. Whoever has confidence and executes in October will win. It's that simple.

Didn't see this KW interview, but reading the report, it seems like he's changed his tone a little. a couple weeks ago he was saying things like 'no major trades' etc.. now he's admitted there's possibilities, so I think he's onto something here, and knowing KW it's going to be a name nobody thought of

QUOTE(YASNY @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 01:26 AM)
Excuses?  Excuses for what, not making a deal?  Since when has KW been the type of GM to sit on his hands and not make a deal he thought could help this club?  He's made several big trades, and then has made the small ones that don't seem like much at the time but turn out  to be important.  Example, Marte. 

Just to say he should make a trade, and to get pissed because it hasn't happened yet is idiotic.  Making trades is not nearly as easy as some around here seem to think.  Some of the trades proposed on this board are laughable.  If and when KW does swing a deal, you can bet half the people around here are going to pissed.  Either we will have paid too much, or the player traded was on one of their favorites or the player received is not who they wanted and someone else would have been better.

Noboby is pissed now but something needs to happen by the 31st