The AJ Burnett 24 Hour Window Thread

AddisonStSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 01:48 AM)
Yeah, but, D, if the Sox are willing to increase the payroll and have the luxury of keeping a $7.5M insurance resource on the roster, why worry?

If money is really the only thing holding you back, and the Sox are willing to absorb that sort of hit, why worry?

I think Lowell could be a god-send.  Seriously.  He's a veteran hitter having a BIG down year, but getting thrown into the fierce competition of a pennant chase may be all he needs to rekindle that thumping bat of his.

My thinking is that Lowell probably won't be needed anyway. I think Joe Crede is going to have a big 2nd half. He's had 3 months out of 4 this season where he's had an OPS over .800. If you are going to upgrade somewhere, it's at SS, to get a guy like Omar Vizquel or even Alex Gonzalez. I'd just rather use that money towards something that will be more important to this ballclub now and next season (assuming Joe Crede does stick around).

• Replies 846
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING:

We have all agreed that Paulie does not fit into 06's plan due to his very high contract demands and the horrible approach at the plate that entails...have we not?

Well, Mike Lowell plays 3B. Yes, he plays 3B. A very logical transition for a 3B to make is over to 1B. Yes, 1B.

...just something to think about.

Screw it. :P :P

I'm in.

Officially put me in the Pro-Burnett camp. I have enough confidence in Kenny Williams that if he trades Marte for Burnett, he can go out and fill the LH void created by his departure.

Who's with me!!!???

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
JUST THOUGHT OF SOMETHING:

We have all agreed that Paulie does not fit into 06's plan due to his very high contract demands and the horrible approach at the plate that entails...have we not?

Well, Mike Lowell plays 3B.  Yes, he plays 3B.  A very logical transition for a 3B to make is over to 1B.  Yes, 1B.

...just something to think about.

DING DING DING. The man has hit the jackpot.

Lowell if picked up in this trade would spell the end of a Mr. Paulie anti clutch Konerko.

Marte has been inconsistant over the last few years and BMAC might be great, then again he might be felix diaz. Only time will tell. Everyone was fretting giving up Miggy Olivo last year and ooober prospect Reed. It hasnt worked out so far. Reed will be good, but I think Morse is the sleeper in that deal. Its not always the big guys in the deal that work out.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
Screw it. :P  :P

I'm in.

Officially put me in the Pro-Burnett camp.  I have enough confidence in Kenny Williams that if he trades Marte for Burnett, he can go out and fill the LH void created by his departure.

Who's with me!!!???

as long as that LH void aint kevin walker im in

Reports indicate Burnett doesn't want to be here. I don't believe he's a significant upgrade over Contreras, also his acquisition would mean El Duque who was signed in part for his playoff prowess, would become a long man in the pen for the playoffs. I wouldn't mind adding Burnett, but BMac could easily bring you a part you more desperately need, that being a middle of the order guy who can get hits with runners on base, and Marte has been inconsistent but hurt. When he's healthy he is cheap and one of the best left hand relief pitchers in the league. Just say no, KW.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:07 AM)
Best of luck with the Bar exam on Tuesday, I know from having friends take it that it'll be a great relief when it's over.  Wishing you the best.

Thanks! Yeah, Wednesday night at about 5:00 p.m. my liver is going to get punished!! It's a weird ordeal to go through, and can't wait for it to be over!

I'd take this deal, Burnett has playoff/world series experience which is a big plus, we can move Duque into the #5 slot until the playoffs...this deal opens up a ton of opportunity for us at the cost of Marte, and as good as Marte has been, I'm not sure I'm confident in putting a two pitch pitcher in a must win playoff game.

QUOTE(Y2HH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:11 AM)
I'd take this deal, Burnett has playoff/world series experience which is a big plus, we can move Duque into the #5 slot until the playoffs...this deal opens up a ton of opportunity for us at the cost of Marte, and as good as Marte has been, I'm not sure I'm confident in putting a two pitch pitcher in a must win playoff game.

Burnett has no playoff experience. He was hurt during the Marlins run in 2003.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:07 PM)
Reports indicate Burnett doesn't want to be here. I don't believe he's a significant upgrade over Contreras, also his acquisition would mean El Duque who was signed in part for his playoff prowess, would become a long man in the pen for the playoffs. I wouldn't mind adding Burnett, but BMac could easily bring you a part you more desperately need, that being a middle of the order guy who can get hits with runners on base, and Marte has been inconsistent but hurt. When he's healthy he is cheap and one of the best left hand relief pitchers in the league. Just say no, KW.

Wrong on both accounts. There is not one report that states Burnett doesn't want to be here and Contreras would be the man going to the pen. As far as the playoffs, El Duque was in the rotation anyway? I didn't think he was. BMac can bring you a middle of the order guy? Who is available and who can he bring us? If Marte is hurt and inconsistent right now then how will he become healthy and consistent later this season? I mean we are going for the World Series THIS year right?

Edited by southsideirish

Something here also doesn't make sense. You are giving up only one player on the MLB roster, but getting 2 back in return? There must be another move related to this deal. Whether that be shipping Lowell somewhere else or Konerko. Or Willie or Pablo or Gload gets sent down. Someone still has to go. Plus we are still down a lefty reliever so I would think that is one more MLB add we would have to make while not losing a major piece to our current roster.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 07:45 AM)
Not for $7,500,000 or even half of that, and then of course he's under contract for another season. If anything, this lineup needs a good lefty hitter, Lowell doesn't give you that.

Whose to say Lowell doesn't replace Paulie in the off-season. The Sox still need a left handed hitter inserted somewhere in the lineup, but that could come with whoever replaces Frank.

I highly doubt the Sox add Lowell though. However, I'll be very excited if Marte is the only major leaguer dealt in the deal. I don't care if they give up Bmac and another good prospect at that point (unless that prospect was named Chris Young).

Also, I'd love to see AJ locked to a deal similar to Frederico.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Wrong on both accounts. There is not one report that states Burnett doesn't want to be here and Contreras would be the man going to the pen. BMac can bring you a middle of the order guy? Who is available and who can he bring us? If Marte is hurt and inconsistent right now then how will he become healthy and consistent later this season? I mean we are going for the World Series THIS year right?

Marte hasnt been consistant in a few years. He is either lights out itting 94 on the gun and getting ahead or he is wild like crazy getting behind and then he pops a hanging slider or 91 mph fastball in.

My feeling is his is gone based on the hiding the injury deal earlier in the year. He did that 2 times.

HE GONE

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
Marte hasnt been consistant in a few years.  He is either lights out itting 94 on the gun and getting ahead or he is wild like crazy getting behind and then he pops a hanging slider or 91 mph fastball in.

My feeling is his is gone based on the hiding the injury deal earlier in the year.  He did that 2 times.

HE GONE

Key word(s) : HAS BEEN

This year he has not. This year we are going for it. Lets look at this year and the immediate future, not what he has done in the past and what he will be next year cause that doesn't mean s*** right now.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:21 AM)
Wrong on both accounts. There is not one report that states Burnett doesn't want to be here and Contreras would be the man going to the pen. BMac can bring you a middle of the order guy? Who is available and who can he bring us? If Marte is hurt and inconsistent right now then how will he become healthy and consistent later this season? I mean we are going for the World Series THIS year right?

So you give up if healthy, a top of the line left handed relief pitcher, and your top pitcher in the minor leagues in return you get a .500 pitcher for 2 months. I guarantee you if you offered BMac straight up for Aubrey Huff, TB jumps at it. I bet if you offered BMac for Griffey, Cincinatti jumps at it. Read Dave Van Dykes article in the Tribune. M

I found this interesting tidbit on another site...so I am not sure how valid it is but it could be interesting considering the rumor that Burnett may not want to come here...

Phillies interested in Burnett

July 24

The Phillies would trade closer Billy Wagner , but only if he brought back an impact starting pitcher. They'd probably deal him for A.J. Burnett , but the Marlins wouldn't want Wagner. That's why the Phillies have told the Red Sox and the White Sox that they would consider dealing Wagner for Burnett should one of those teams acquire him.

In regards to the move to the pen. I'd have to think the Sox are more comfortable moving Contreras to the pen (since they once thought he would make a very good closer) as opposed to Duque.

Thats not to say that Contreras wouldn't eventually rejoin the rotation after Duque got hurt again. However, I got to say, Duque pitched very well last night and in his last two starts he's shown better stuff than he has all year.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 08:29 AM)
If this trade goes down, I think we'll see another one.  Clearly there is a need for another bat.

To me there is only one spot the other bat can go and thats shortstop. You could make a case for 2nd as well cause Guchi is in a major major funk. But Omar Vizquel would look amazing. Problem is I don't think the Giants are interested in dealing him.

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 10:29 AM)
If this trade goes down, I think we'll see another one.  Clearly there is a need for another bat.

Something left handed that can make contact and doesnt popup, K or GIDP like our current 3-4-5 have been doing with RISP.