Who is the most underrated player of all time?

White Sox Josh

I would say that it is Jackie Robinson. I consider him one of the greatest 2B to ever play the game. He had speed, power, and could change a game like no one else could. Everyone talks about he integrated the game but nobody talks about how good of a player he was. While what he did was incredible he is Hall of Famer no matter what. I feel he should be remembered more for what he did on the field while still be remembered for being very courageous. Who do you think is the most underrated player of all time?

I'll go with Hank Aaron.

He was so much more than a home-run hitter, and IMO he goes underappreciated.

He was a damn good fielder in his day ( even played some 2B and 3B ) and a solid hitter aside from the long ball.

.305 career hitter, even had several 20+ steal seasons, with 240 total steals.

Career .982 fielding percentage.

Hank was the MAN. Class act under the hateful pressure, and a damn fine ballplayer.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 24, 2005 -> 11:49 PM)
I'll go with Hank Aaron.

He was so much more than a home-run hitter, and IMO he goes underappreciated.

He was a damn good fielder in his day ( even played some 2B and 3B ) and a solid hitter aside from the long ball.

.305 career hitter, even had several 20+ steal seasons, with 240 total steals.

Career .982 fielding percentage.

Hank was the MAN. Class act under the hateful pressure, and a damn fine ballplayer.

i'm not sure if you know this or not but the Giants almost got Aaron but decided not to. Imagine an outfield of Willie Mays, Hank Aaron, and Bobby Thomson/Monte Irvan.

QUOTE(The Critic @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 04:49 AM)

Hell yeah, that dude was a beast.

All-Time Extra Base Hits

1. Hank Aaron 1477

2. Stan Musial 1377

3. Babe Ruth 1356

4. Barry Bonds 1343

5. Willie Mays 1323

6. Lou Gehrig 1190

7. Frank Robinson 1186

8. Rafael Palmeiro 1161

9. Carl Yastrzemski 1157

10. Ty Cobb 1136

Rafael could be 6th All-Time in extra-base hits when he retires. We just had a thread where the consensus was that he's not a first ballot hall of famer. I find that very hard to believe just on the strength of his 3000 hits and his elite glove. And now this?

QUOTE(hammerhead johnson @ Jul 25, 2005 -> 12:42 AM)
Hell yeah, that dude was a beast.

All-Time Extra Base Hits

1. Hank Aaron 1477

2. Stan Musial 1377 

3. Babe Ruth 1356

4. Barry Bonds 1343

5. Willie Mays 1323 

6. Lou Gehrig 1190 

7. Frank Robinson 1186 

8. Rafael Palmeiro 1161 

9. Carl Yastrzemski 1157 

10. Ty Cobb 1136 

Rafael could be 6th All-Time in extra-base hits when he retires.  We just had a thread where the consensus was that he's not a first ballot hall of famer.  I find that very hard to believe just on the strength of his 3000 hits and his elite glove.  And now this?

... 500 home runs too? First ballot with ease.

I got a couple of guys that are all-time greats that never seem to get the credit they are due...

Stan Musial. Check Hammer's post on the extra base hits, he's number two. He's also one of few players to win 7 batting titles, and despite the fact that he wasn't a major power guy for much of his career finished with 475 homers.

Jimmie Foxx. Career .325 hitter with 534 career homeruns.

Walter Johnson. He may be the greatest pitcher ever. #2 alltime in wins, a miniscule career ERA, and the only pre-1960 pitcher with 3000 career strikeouts.

I can't really come up with a list of lesser known guys that were better than their reputation since I've only been watching baseball since about 1993.

Rafael Palmeiro.

Never led the league in HRs or hits. Never been in a World Series. Quietly went about his business and put up HOF numbers. 1 of 4 players with 3,000 hits and 500 HR in a career. Wonder what hat he'll be wearing in the Hall.

I just thought of a guy. He's a multi-time all-star, but because he's currently a shadow of his former self people don't mention him anymore... Mike Piazza. Say what you want about him being a subpar defensive player, but his numbers are damn impressive, especially for a full time catcher. He hit over 30 homers 9 times, 8 of them coming consecutively, drove in 100 runs 6 times, and he has a career .313 batting average. People forget how solid a hitter he was in his prime.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 04:02 AM)
I just thought of a guy. He's a multi-time all-star, but because he's currently a shadow of his former self people don't mention him anymore... Mike Piazza. Say what you want about him being a subpar defensive player, but his numbers are damn impressive, especially for a full time catcher. He hit over 30 homers 9 times, 8 of them coming consecutively, drove in 100 runs 6 times, and he has a career .313 batting average. People forget how solid a hitter he was in his prime.

I dont think people have forgotten how good of a hitter he was... hell they can see his contract and know he had to be good at some time... he was such a bad defensive catcher though and still is.

my vote for all time underated is Raffy Palmiero

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 01:11 PM)
Hey, yo, how you doin? Derek Jeta is very underrayted. As are Jorhey Posada, Randy Jaahnson, and Carl Pavaano.

I'd say Jeter really is underrated, simply because he has a .313 career average, 1,852 hits, 4 World Series rings, is only 31 and has been called overrated many times, despite all of that.

as for most overrated, Rafael Palmeiro, his numbers are unbelievable, and the way it sounds, he only has a 50/50 chance of making the Hall.