white sox want huff

daa84

http://www.nj.com/mets/ledger/index.ssf?/b...7150.xml&coll=1

take it for what its worth

While duking it out with the Red Sox in the A.J. Burnett sweepstakes, the White Sox are busy on other fronts. They're trying to pry outfielder/DH Aubrey Huff away from the Devil Rays, and they're trying to find a taker for former Yankee Jose Contreras, who they believe is at peak value and a risky bet for the stretch drive and the playoffs.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 06:37 AM)
A lot of teams want Huff, but it sounds like Chuck Lamarr is a little insane when it comes to asking price.  I doubt anything happens here.

personally, im suer the sox interest has increased since thomas is gonna be out. i like huff alot. before his subpar 1st half, i thought this guy would eventually have a year or two of MVP type numbers. he still may. i think he is absolutely the perfect fit for the chisox, because he can spell crede at 3rd, he can spell konerko at 1st, he can also play the corner OF. not to mention he is left handed, and his acquisition would mean that the sox could afford to not have to pay konerko this offseason and can let him walk. this guy is a pure hitter too, can catch up to any fastball and has a sweet stroke from the left side, something we need

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 06:16 AM)

This is a bit off topic, but the same article says that Rick White is on the Yankees wish list. Can you imagine that guy on anybody's wish list, much less the vaunted Bronx Bozos?

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:40 AM)
This is a bit off topic, but the same article says that Rick White is on the Yankees wish list. Can you imagine that guy on anybody's wish list, much less the vaunted Bronx Bozos?

I would love to see White self-destruct in Yankee Stadium.

If the Yanks will be relying on White and Sturtze to nail down their BP, then they will have serious issues in September.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 08:19 AM)
personally, im suer the sox interest has increased since thomas is gonna be out. i like huff alot. before his subpar 1st half, i thought this guy would eventually have a year or two of MVP type numbers. he still may. i think he is absolutely the perfect fit for the chisox, because he can spell crede at 3rd, he can spell konerko at 1st, he can also play the corner OF. not to mention he is left handed, and his acquisition would mean that the sox could afford to not have to pay konerko this offseason and can let him walk. this guy is a pure hitter too, can catch up to any fastball and has a sweet stroke from the left side, something we need

He cant spell Crede, Pablo would be a better option, he is brutal at 3B

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:47 AM)
He cant spell Crede, Pablo would be a better option, he is brutal at 3B

and pablo isnt?? anyone in here ever take a look at pablos track record. 45 ERRORS IN THe MINOR LEAGUES ONE YEAR! 45!!!

EDIT: IN 133 GAMES!

Edited by daa84

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 07:57 AM)
How strong is his throwing arm?

I'd say if it is pretty good, put him in LF and make Pods the DH.

Too many guys are taking extra bases on Pods' weak arm.

really thats not a bad idea, everett either, at least while frank is out. i think the thing is that pods covers so much damn ground tho. you dont see many doubles split the OFers, many get caught or cut off and held to singles....at least when they dont run on his arm

QUOTE(daa84 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:02 AM)
really thats not a bad idea, everett either, at least while frank is out. i think the thing is that pods covers so much damn ground tho. you dont see many doubles split the OFers, many get caught or cut off and held to singles....at least when they dont run on his arm

ARow can shade over to left a little if needed.

Pods has lost balls in the air that Rowand had to run behind him to catch.

QUOTE(knightni @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:02 AM)
You know... as much as I like that DJ .gif that I made for our emoticons here.

It's pretty tedious seeing it in someone's signature for every one of their posts.

Yeah people tol me that. Ivb been meaning to get rid of it. Sorry everyone, for the annoyance.

Pretty sure it's been mentioned Huff has declining bat speed, hence the lack of home runs (even though he has 6 this month). Like Mike said, Chuck LaMar is an idiot when it comes to trades, so don't expect anything to happen.

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
Pretty sure it's been mentioned Huff has declining bat speed, hence the lack of home runs (even though he has 6 this month). Like Mike said, Chuck LaMar is an idiot when it comes to trades, so don't expect anything to happen.

Hitting

Huff often is described as a professional hitter, as much for what he does and how easy he makes it look, with good mechanics that produce a natural sweet swing. He has done an excellent job learning to hit lefties and to stop chasing pitches off the plate. Huff knows he can hit just about any fastball and occasionally will sit and wait for one. The Rays want him to look more frequently for breaking balls and changeups and hit them too.

April .271 .350

May .206 .291

June .283 .320

July .295 .329

Huff wouldn't be bad now that Franks out for a while. Plus I think Huff fits in nicely over the off-season replacing either Frank as a DH or Paulie at 1b.

However, I wouldn't expect Huff to play much at 3rd but he's at least an insurance option at the same time. Plus I think he'd put up monster numbers at the cell.

Personally speaking, I think the DRays deal off this offseason. Plus Lamarr has to be the worse GM to negotiate a trade with. He just tried to totally one side a deal to his side (not saying its not his job, but at times when you got to make a deal it typically should make sense for each team involved).