Jayson Stark

palesox38

I'm sure by now all of you have heard that the Sox are interested in Aubrey Huff, but according to Jayson Stark, that deal would also include Danys Baez. He also stated that the sox want to make that trade as well as trade for Burnett.

I say do it. Many may say that it effects chemistry too much, but I think thats a little over-rated. It would be great to pick up Huff, Burnett, and Baez. Two potential blockbusters. What a statement that would be!

QUOTE(palesox38 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
I'm sure by now all of you have heard that the Sox are interested in Aubrey Huff, but according to Jayson Stark, that deal would also include Danys Baez. He also stated that the sox want to make that trade as well as trade for Burnett.

I say do it. Many may say that it effects chemistry too much, but I think thats a little over-rated. It would be great to pick up Huff, Burnett, and Baez. Two potential blockbusters. What a statement that would be!

As much as I like all 3 players, that's not going to happen. Huff's the one I'd want most out of those 3. :)

QUOTE(palesox38 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)

Im iffy on this. Chuck Lamar overprices his guys and I think a deal with a bunch of MLB'er involved isnt too smart of an idea.

Wow, that would suck IMO. We'd be getting my 2nd choice in each position. I'd rather have Schmidt, Overbay, and Wagner before any of the 3 mentioned. In fact I don't want any of the 3 mentioned there. I'd rather keep what we have.

QUOTE(danman31 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
Wow, that would suck IMO. We'd be getting my 2nd choice in each position. I'd rather have Schmidt, Overbay, and Wagner before any of the 3 mentioned. In fact I don't want any of the 3 mentioned there. I'd rather keep what we have.

Seriously? Would you be that disappointed in that? Huff is going to produce big in the second half as he always does. I'm not too hot on Baez, but he can't be worse than Viz. Burnett, from what everyone says about him, would be a big upgrade and a power pitcher in the playoffs. Overbay would be good, Schmidt would be good... but is this BAD?

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 12:31 AM)
Seriously?  Would you be that disappointed in that?  Huff is going to produce big in the second half as he always does.  I'm not too hot on Baez, but he can't be worse than Viz.  Burnett, from what everyone says about him, would be a big upgrade and a power pitcher in the playoffs.  Overbay would be good, Schmidt would be good... but is this BAD?

I honestly dont like it. Huff

Get Burnett and Overbay and I'm happy. Im sticking to these guns.

QUOTE(Frank the Tank 35 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:31 PM)
Seriously?  Would you be that disappointed in that?  Huff is going to produce big in the second half as he always does.  I'm not too hot on Baez, but he can't be worse than Viz.  Burnett, from what everyone says about him, would be a big upgrade and a power pitcher in the playoffs.  Overbay would be good, Schmidt would be good... but is this BAD?

I wouldn't mind picking up Huff, but I don't think it's worth it. His defense at 3rd is brutal. He's another 1B/DH. With that said, Overbay is clearly better because he is hitting better and fits in better with what this offense needs.

Baez would be a minimal improvement on the team and would have a minimal impact in the playoffs.

Burnett would NOT be a big upgrade, it's that simple. I don't trust him to be a significant upgrade in the AL. He's pitching in a big pitchers' park at the moment and would shift to a big hitters' park. That ERA of his would jump up, not to mention a shaky health history.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:25 PM)
If we did all these moves, you could say bye to McCarthy, Anderson, and Sweeney or Young, and likely a few more players.  Basically, all these moves aren't happening.

The Devil Rays don't need OFs. They have Young, Crawford, Gomes, Gathright, Baldelli. You might see one of Anderson or Sweeney end up in Tampa Bay. but I would think a more likely scenario would see McCarthy, or other good pitching prospects heading that way.

QUOTE(JDsDirtySox @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 04:37 AM)
The Devil Rays don't need OFs.  They have Young, Crawford, Gomes, Gathright, Baldelli.  You might see one of Anderson or Sweeney end up in Tampa Bay. but I would think a more likely scenario would see McCarthy, or other good pitching prospects heading that way.

I guarantee you that if Damon doesn't resign with the Red Sox, they'll trade for Baldelli. Young and Crawford are the only guaranteed members of their offense. Gomes is more of a DH. Tampa doesn't have the money to go out and sign a FA starting pitcher. They need to have prospects to trade in order to get the starter, and they'll have no problem bringing in more outfielders.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 11:42 PM)
I guarantee you that if Damon doesn't resign with the Red Sox, they'll trade for Baldelli.  Young and Crawford are the only guaranteed members of their offense.  Gomes is more of a DH.  Tampa doesn't have the money to go out and sign a FA starting pitcher.  They need to have prospects to trade in order to get the starter, and they'll have no problem bringing in more outfielders.

Even assuming Baldelli gets dealt and Gomes doesn't play in the outfield, that still leaves them with Crawford, Young, and Gathright. They won't need prospects to get starters because they'd be likely to get at least one in our deal (probably McCarthy, maybe Tracey), and that would most likely be what they'd seek in your proposed trade of Baldelli.

QUOTE(ZoomSlowik @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 04:52 AM)
Even assuming Baldelli gets dealt and Gomes doesn't play in the outfield, that still leaves them with Crawford, Young, and Gathright. They won't need prospects to get starters because they'd be likely to get at least one in our deal (probably McCarthy, maybe Tracey), and that would most likely be what they'd seek in your proposed trade of Baldelli.

If we were to get Huff and Baez, we'd have to give up McCarthy, Sweeney, and another top prospect (Fields).

Huff is hitting close to .300 in the past month with 8 homers. He's just starting to heat up as usual. He's signed through next year for anyone who wants to make Konerko expendable. Burnett is a groundball pitcher as I made the argument to acquire him in the offseason when he was supposedly available then. Therefore I don't think his era would jump THAT much except what is to be expected from an NL to AL switch.

Basically I'd be happy acquiring Huff or Overbay and Burnett or Schmidt. I see Huff and Overbay as very similar hitters. Huff has more power, Overbay has slightly better BA (career wise here). We're gonna have to overpay for either one IMO. Burnett, right now, has better stuff than Schmidt and may not have filled out all his potential. Schmidt's still not pitching as well as he has the past couple years. Schmidt is signed next year and has playoff experience which Burnett does not. Both will cost a similar amount in terms of talent, but we'd probably be able to keep Contreras in the deal with the Marlins.

Either way, I think these moves would benefit the Sox this year. At the end of the year if we don't go all the way, you don't wanna have to say, "what if...?"

QUOTE(palesox38 @ Jul 26, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)

I can see this happening. I was just talking to my buddy about the Sox and Cubs (he's a Cubs fan) and I kind of started thinking that I would not be surprised if we got Burnett and then Kenny followed it up with a trade for a reliever. I bet he already has something in the works for the bullpen if we indeed give up Marte. So I can definitely see two big trades happening very quickly. I'll say it again though- Guardado is my guy. We need him. Kenny, let's get this done.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
I can see this happening. I was just talking to my buddy about the Sox and Cubs (he's  a Cubs fan) and I kind of started thinking that I would not be surprised if we got Burnett and then Kenny followed it up with a trade for a reliever. I bet he already has something in the works for the bullpen if we indeed give up Marte. So I can definitely see two big trades happening very quickly. I'll say it again though- Guardado is my guy. We need him. Kenny, let's get this done.

I agree with you on Guardado. I think he is awesome. But I guess if we can't get him or Wagner, Baez is the next best thing.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 01:08 AM)
I can see this happening. I was just talking to my buddy about the Sox and Cubs (he's  a Cubs fan) and I kind of started thinking that I would not be surprised if we got Burnett and then Kenny followed it up with a trade for a reliever. I bet he already has something in the works for the bullpen if we indeed give up Marte. So I can definitely see two big trades happening very quickly. I'll say it again though- Guardado is my guy. We need him. Kenny, let's get this done.

You're right on top of things, aren't ya? :rolly

Here's some interesting numbers...take 'em as you see it:

Schmidt w/ RISP BAA .281 (last year: .180)

home/away era 4.46/4.63

Burnett w/ RISP BAA .262 (last year: .261)

home/away era 3.42/3.51

Everett BAA lefties/righties .321/.234 (career .256/.283)

Konerko BAA lefties/righties .192/.280 (career .291/.272)

Overbay BAA lefties/righties .263/.298 (career .288/.292)

Huff BAA lefties/righties .257/267 (career .284/.293)

Rowand and Dye are better against righties than Everett and better against lefties than Konerko

Huff and Overbay look like everyday players. Konerko/Everett platoon= potential huge blowup... more righties=more AB's for Konerko. Otherwise it's wait and see if Konerko/Everett can break out of their respective funks or wait and see if Thomas can play again this year. Both would be taking chances, and I don't think Kenny wants to take any chances this year.