The calm before the storm?

VAfan

It looks as if, at the moment, there are going to be NO SIGNIFICANT TRADES before Sunday's deadline.

1. Florida informed Boston that Arroyo and Sanchez won't get AJ Burnett. Since they haven't accepted whatever the Sox may have offered already...

2. Lyle Overbay is definitely not on the market.

3. Jason Schmidt? No way. Ditto for Omar Vizquel.

4. Eddie Guardado? Jamie Moyer? Nothing going on.

5. Billy Wagner. f**edaboudit.

6. Aubrey Huff? Danys Baez? Too pricey.

7. Fill in the rest.

Does that mean there really won't be any trades? I DOUBT IT.

A very interesting thing may happen between now and Sunday. The selling teams that have been asking the moon may finally decide to sell, and sellers market may turn a bit into a buyer's market, or at least balance out.

I expect tomorrow to remain quiet, but Saturday may be the day. I just hope that KW doesn't do anything stupid in the hopes of doing something "great." I'll be more than happy if after Sunday at 4 pm we still have BMac, Young, Jenks, Politte, Cotts, Sweeney, Fields, etc. I wouldn't oppose injecting some new energy through another pitcher and a lefty bat, but if it doesn't happen, I think these Sox will just figure out how to play better and beat all comers.

GO SOX!

• Replies 215
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)
It looks as if, at the moment, there are going to be NO SIGNIFICANT TRADES before Sunday's deadline.

1.  Florida informed Boston that Arroyo and Sanchez won't get AJ Burnett.  Since they haven't accepted whatever the Sox may have offered already...

2.  Lyle Overbay is definitely not on the market.

3.  Jason Schmidt?  No way.  Ditto for Omar Vizquel.

4.  Eddie Guardado?  Jamie Moyer?  Nothing going on.

5.  Billy Wagner.  f**edaboudit.

6.  Aubrey Huff?  Danys Baez?  Too pricey.

7.  Fill in the rest.

Does that mean there really won't be any trades?  I DOUBT IT.

A very interesting thing may happen between now and Sunday.  The selling teams that have been asking the moon may finally decide to sell, and sellers market may turn a bit into a buyer's market, or at least balance out. 

I expect tomorrow to remain quiet, but Saturday may be the day.  I just hope that KW doesn't do anything stupid in the hopes of doing something "great."  I'll be more than happy if after Sunday at 4 pm we still have BMac, Young, Jenks, Politte, Cotts, Sweeney, Fields, etc. I wouldn't oppose injecting some new energy through another pitcher and a lefty bat, but if it doesn't happen, I think these Sox will just figure out how to play better and beat all comers. 

GO SOX!

There will be a lot of pissed off fans if KW doesn't make a move. It's too early to tell if they're right or wrong....but with all the rumors that have been around lately, there will be a meltdown if we don't acquire anyone.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:48 AM)
There will be a lot of pissed off fans if KW doesn't make a move.  It's too early to tell if they're right or wrong....but with all the rumors that have been around lately, there will be a meltdown if we don't acquire anyone.

I know I won't be pissed off. If people want us to make a move just to make a move, then whats the point? If Kenny doesn't see any moves that can make us better, then I'll trust his judgement. The fact of the matter is that there aren't many sellers out there. And the few that are, are probably asking for more than anybody would want to give up.

I wish there was more on the market, but this is the reality. If we are able to pull off a move that helps us, great. If we can't, I'm sure we won't be alone when it comes to inactivity.

Edited by KevHead0881

My opinion (as if anyone gives a damn) is that the only starting pitcher who I'd like to see prospects traded for is Schmidt. We definitely need hitting help though, and any addition would be a plus for me. DH is a HUGE hole for us right now.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:53 PM)
I know I'll be pissed if KW doesn't make a move. It's pretty obvious one is needed. Does anyone think we could beat the Yanks, Red Sox or Cardinals with this lineup? I for one do not think so.

its slow, but in my opinion KW will do something, and it will be something big. he has done big things in sellers markets before, like last year, and the sox werent even close to a sure thing for the playoffs. right now they look close to a sure thing for it. i wouldnt be surprised at all if burnett and huff both find their way into a sox uni. right now, it sounds like the sox are the only team in the running still for burnett, and ive heard that the marlins are telling people to say that they arent gonna trade burnett to drive up his value. ill bet they trade him, im just worried some mystery team like the angels, who certainly have the prospects will swoop in and get him. even still, if thats not the deal, ill bet schmidt happens. or huff. someone will be traded and something will happen.....i agree overbay wont happen....at least not now, i dont think

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 07:56 PM)
My opinion (as if anyone gives a damn) is that the only starting pitcher who I'd like to see prospects traded for is Schmidt.  We definitely need hitting help though, and any addition would be a plus for me.  DH is a HUGE hole for us right now.

in all honesty thomas' injury is a blessing in disguise. i think KW now realizes the need for a big bat and huff could very well be brouhgt in. i love huff and if we got him, id be extremely happy. it would allow us to rest sooo many of our guys as well, and still remain competetive, huff can give just about everyone a day off except AJ juan and iguchi. i just think that there are only a handful of potential .300/30/100 hitting lefthanders out there, huff is one and is what, 28? it gives us such good flexibility with konerkos situation too. in my opinion huff is the best option out there, followed by schmid or burnett, whom i cant figure out who i would rather have. i keep goin back and forth

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 01:46 AM)

1.  Florida informed Boston that Arroyo and Sanchez won't get AJ Burnett.  Since they haven't accepted whatever the Sox may have offered already...

2.  Lyle Overbay is definitely not on the market.

3.  Jason Schmidt?  No way.  Ditto for Omar Vizquel.

4.  Eddie Guardado?  Jamie Moyer?  Nothing going on.

5.  Billy Wagner.  f**edaboudit.

6.  Aubrey Huff?  Danys Baez?  Too pricey.

7.  Fill in the rest.

Does that mean there really won't be any trades?  I DOUBT IT.

A very interesting thing may happen between now and Sunday.  The selling teams that have been asking the moon may finally decide to sell, and sellers market may turn a bit into a buyer's market, or at least balance out. 

I expect tomorrow to remain quiet, but Saturday may be the day.  I just hope that KW doesn't do anything stupid in the hopes of doing something "great."  I'll be more than happy if after Sunday at 4 pm we still have BMac, Young, Jenks, Politte, Cotts, Sweeney, Fields, etc. I wouldn't oppose injecting some new energy through another pitcher and a lefty bat, but if it doesn't happen, I think these Sox will just figure out how to play better and beat all comers. 

GO SOX!

Are you just speculating or is there actually news to back up this information?

Jason Schmidt and Omar Vizquel is looking more likely by the day if you ask me. All they do is keep on losing. They are now 14 games under .500 with a worse record than the Pittsburgh Pirates and 7 games out of first in the NL West. That is pretty sad.

Aubrey Huff is too pricey? I guess we will have to see if they drop those crazy demands. I would not mind seeing BMac, Anderson, Sweeney, Fields, or Marte gone. WIN NOW!!!!

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:19 AM)

Jason Schmidt and Omar Vizquel is looking more likely by the day if you ask me. All they do is keep on losing. They are now 14 games under .500 with a worse record than the Pittsburgh Pirates and 7 games out of first in the NL West. That is pretty sad.

Aubrey Huff is too pricey? I guess we will have to see if they drop those crazy demands. I would not mind seeing BMac, Anderson, Sweeney, Fields, or Marte gone. WIN NOW!!!!

exactly my thoughts. The Giants are going no where and are getting older by the minute. They would love to get a young IF such as Uribe or Harris and a solid reliever in Marte to go along with Contreras or McCarthy. Schmidt and Vizquel WILL be traded to our Sox. Pleanty of indications say so other than they being waaayyy behind the NL West race.

1. KW went to Wrigley Field to watch Schmidt pitch on Monday night. After 3 innings KW left and said "He'd seen enough..." Could this be a enough of a very good pitcher or enough that he doesn't think he can help out Sox? I personally think he was impressed with him.

2. A SF scout has been following us for weeks and has been taking notice of someone? This could be why Willie has been getting pleanty of playing time? Maybe KW is forcing Ozzie to show him off? Also Marte has been seeing a lot of action- once again KW wants Ozzie to show him off.

3. KW really wanted Vizquel in the offseason- and he would love to get him now- esspecially with his solid above .300 avg.

Pleanty of indications point that this trade will indeed happen. IMO the whole Burnett thing was just to get other teams focus of Schmidt- KW is known to sneak on a trade- and I think this is another one of his sneaky moves... We will find out in 3 days....

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:36 AM)
In tomorrow's tribune, Ozzie says no trade is imminent, and that the roster is fine for the stretch run.  Even though I know he HAS to say that....it still pisses me off.

It pisses me off too. But don't let his response get you down. A trade has to be made to make us WS contenders. KW knows that- and so does Ozzie. Ozzie is just saying what he is suppose to say. Plus if you a manager says "we need better players" it disrespects the guys who are currently on the team.

Don't worry fathom- this time next week we will be celebrating.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 09:19 PM)

I totally agree. Win Now! says it all. I don't care what we give up ( as long as it's mostly prospects) We have to make moves to win it all. I will be very upset if nothing happens. Really though, while I worry about it, I just can't see us doing nothing.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:36 AM)
In tomorrow's tribune, Ozzie says no trade is imminent, and that the roster is fine for the stretch run.  Even though I know he HAS to say that....it still pisses me off.

That should never piss you off. It should make you respect him. Can you imagine how his players would respond if he said that his team has to go out and get a better hitting shortstop, a top notch pitcher, bullpen help, and a left handed power hitter? I would look at my manager and say what the f*** are you talking about? How can we need all of that and we are still 30 some games above .500 and have a double digit lead in our division? He has to say this because he is the leader of the team, you can't lead if you show you don't believe in what you have. That is just the way it is.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:52 AM)
That should never piss you off. It should make you respect him. Can you imagine how his players would respond if he said that his team has to go out and get a better hitting shortstop, a top notch pitcher, bullpen help, and a left handed power hitter? I would look at my manager and say what the f*** are you talking about? How can we need all of that and we are still 30 some games above .500 and have a double digit lead in our division? He has to say this because he is the leader of the team, you can't lead if you show you don't believe in what you have. That is just the way it is.

Wow. I even said that Ozzie has to say this to be politically correct. However, Ozzie and KW have made a ton of statements the last few weeks saying that there was no need to make a move with the record that this team had. And trust me, the players no more than anyone where the holes on the team are.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:51 AM)
I'll just be glad when the deadline passes, regardless of what happens. I think all this speculation is taking a toll on the team.

It is taking a toll on me too. I can't stop listening to the damn sports radio or stay off of mlb.com, espn.go.com, and soxtalk.com. I am always on those sites and listening to the radio, sleeping with it on, working out with it on, eating lunch in my office with it on. I can't stop and the anticipation is killing me. If we make a trade it will be like Christmas morning. I just hope we get what I asked Santa for. Jason Schmidt, Omar Vizquel, and a left handed power bat. Griffey or Huff will do just fine.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:54 AM)
Wow.  I even said that Ozzie has to say this to be politically correct.  However, Ozzie and KW have made a ton of statements the last few weeks saying that there was no need to make a move with the record that this team had.  And trust me, the players no more than anyone where the holes on the team are.

Then if you know this I don't know why the hell it would piss you off.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:56 AM)
Then if you know this I don't know why the hell it would piss you off.

Because the last thing I want to see this organization do is to start planning their postseason before it's even close to being a sure thing. I actually do trust KW to be proactive with things. Not so sure I could say the same about Ozzie if he was in control

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 03:58 AM)
Because the last thing I want to see this organization do is to start planning their postseason before it's even close to being a sure thing.  I actually do trust KW to be proactive with things.  Not so sure I could say the same about Ozzie if he was in control

Are you kidding? Ozzie is a very proactive manager. His style is very proactive. I still don't understand why it pisses you off, you are contradicting yourself. If you know that this is what they have to say and that it really has no effect on what they are actually doing then why is it pissing you off? No one is planning anything before it's a sure thing. Like you said, they have to say it, I don't see how it pisses you off.

QUOTE(southsideirish @ Jul 28, 2005 -> 04:00 AM)
Are you kidding? Ozzie is a very proactive manager. His style is very proactive. I still don't understand why it pisses you off, you are contradicting yourself. If you know that this is what they have to say and that it really has no effect on what they are actually doing then why is it pissing you off? No one is planning anything before it's a sure thing. Like you said, they have to say it, I don't see how it pisses you off.

Are you watching the same games I do? Ozzie's one of the least proactive managers in baseball. Yes, the timing is weird today because of his quick hook with Garland. However, Ozzie always seems shocked that one of his pitchers is getting in trouble late in the game. Instead of anticipating a pitcher possibly having trouble the 4th time around the lineup, he ends up waiting too long, and either the pitcher gives up runs, or the reliever gets brought in for a tough situation.

QUOTE(Brian @ Jul 27, 2005 -> 10:22 PM)
Don't be pissed at KW if nothing happens. Takes two parties to get something done and history shows KW goes to great lengths to make moves. We all know he is trying.

I don't think anyone could be pissed at KW, no matter what. The guy pulled this team out of his ass, and it's a huge success.

I will, however, be pissed at the situation. I won't blame KW, Ozzie, JR, etc. There will be no one to blame, but I'll still be pissed off.

The way this team has played the last few weeks shows that they need a kick in the ass to get them going. They seem to think they have the division wrapped up or something. They certainly aren't playing anywhere near the way they once played.