Remember that Olivo Character?

fattyguy78

Hey sorry if this was mentioned already but I didnt see it anywhere...saw this on rotoworld:

Padres acquired catcher Miguel Olivo from the Mariners for catcher Miguel Ojeda and RHP Nate Mateo.

It's worth a try. The Mariners thought they had a long-term starter in Olivo when they got him in the Freddy Garcia trade, but he disappointed both offensively and defensively. The Padres will keep him in the majors and let him split time with David Ross, apparently taking Robert Fick out of the mix for starts at catcher. If they don't re-sign Ramon Hernandez in the offseason, Olivo would become a candidate to start in 2006. He shouldn't have much in the way of short-term fantasy value. Jul. 31 - 2:20 am et

Miguel Ojeda - C - Mariners

Mariners acquired catcher Miguel Ojeda and RHP Nate Mateo from the Padres for catcher Miguel Olivo.

Because the Yorvit Torrealba pickup didn't make it obvious enough that they were giving up on Miguel Olivo, the Mariners made it offical. Ojeda might be assigned to Triple-A Tacoma for now, but the plan is probably for him to be Torrealba's backup through at least 2006. The 30-year-old was a disappointment for the Padres this season after decent showings as a reserve in 2003 and '04. As someone who will start 40 games or so, he should be OK. Mateo, 24, had a 3.08 ERA in 48 relief appearances for Double-A Mobile. He has the fastball to be sort of useful as a 12th pitcher. Jul. 31 - 2:17 am et

I always liked Olivo and he has good potential, I wish him all the luck!

QUOTE(fattyguy78 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 08:20 AM)
Hey sorry if this was mentioned already but I didnt see it anywhere...saw this on rotoworld:

Padres acquired catcher Miguel Olivo from the Mariners for catcher Miguel Ojeda and RHP Nate Mateo.

It's worth a try. The Mariners thought they had a long-term starter in Olivo when they got him in the Freddy Garcia trade, but he disappointed both offensively and defensively. The Padres will keep him in the majors and let him split time with David Ross, apparently taking Robert Fick out of the mix for starts at catcher. If they don't re-sign Ramon Hernandez in the offseason, Olivo would become a candidate to start in 2006. He shouldn't have much in the way of short-term fantasy value. Jul. 31 - 2:20 am et

I loved Olivo he is a great defensive catcher.  His pickoff throws the way he threw out base stealers. He did manage the bat at times and could really run the bases. One of his major flaws was he wasn't able to call games.  Hey, if we get blum from San Diego get Miguel back at the same time he can learn how to call games from AJ. I know he can get his stroke back. :chair

Miguel Ojeda - C - Mariners   

Mariners acquired catcher Miguel Ojeda and RHP Nate Mateo from the Padres for catcher Miguel Olivo.

Because the Yorvit Torrealba pickup didn't make it obvious enough that they were giving up on Miguel Olivo, the Mariners made it offical. Ojeda might be assigned to Triple-A Tacoma for now, but the plan is probably for him to be Torrealba's backup through at least 2006. The 30-year-old was a disappointment for the Padres this season after decent showings as a reserve in 2003 and '04. As someone who will start 40 games or so, he should be OK. Mateo, 24, had a 3.08 ERA in 48 relief appearances for Double-A Mobile. He has the fastball to be sort of useful as a 12th pitcher. Jul. 31 - 2:17 am et

I always liked Olivo and he has good potential, I wish him all the luck!

I think people should take a look back to last years trade thread on this subject. I would say 85% of people around here hated the fact that olivio was traded. Many thought he would be a five tool player despite what there eyes were seeing. This proves again that young prospects have a hard time making it in the bigs. Olivio will forever be a back up catcher only because of his arm, otherwise he would be stuffing taco's at Taco Erenderia.

QUOTE(quickman @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 09:29 AM)
Many thought he would be a five tool player despite what there eyes were seeing.

He was doing pretty good with the Sox until he was traded last year. I dont think our eyes decieved us, I think his overachieving performance decieved us. It decieved the Mariners too.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 09:38 AM)
He was doing pretty good with the Sox until he was traded last year.  I dont think our eyes decieved us, I think his overachieving performance decieved us.  It decieved the Mariners too.

actaully I think he was a 240 -250 hitter burried in a soft ballpark for homeruns and a very potent lineup which he saw better pitches. He is and always will be a backup, but you bring a great point, "we" know very little compared to the GM's and managers of baseball teams. Seattle really wanted Jeremy reed, whom I also think will project out to be a 10HR, 280 AVG and 65 rbi guy. (My lousy opinion only.) I would trade Garcia for that any day.

DISCLAIMER: Kenny Williams will be making a move between now and 3:00 CT. Consequently, there will be a variety of different emotions/backlashes in response to said move. Before melting down, or posting some violent tyraid that no one enjoys reading, please, do yourself--and likewise, all the good folks at Soxtalk--the favor of reading and re-reading this post.

Do you remember that Olivo character? That, "can't miss" "five-tool" catcher that General Manager Kenny Williams foolishly traded away to Seattle for the single most coveted starting pitcher on the market in Freddy Garcia? You know Freddy Garcia don't ya...The current 10 game winner with our belov'ed White Sox.

Well, after hitting a robust .154 with 5HR and 18RBI with the Mariners in over 50 games, Olivo was sent down to AAA. There, Olivo went on to hit .233 with 3HR and 26RBI.

Suprisingly, or not so suprisingly, enough, the Mariners were quick to get rid of Olivo as he was traded to the Padres for C Miguel Ojeda and a minor league pitcher. Couple that with the rumors that no one on the White Sox liked pitching to the young backstop and you may have a deal in which Kenny Williams comes out smelling like a rose.

Does that Kenny Willams have a good sense of what he's doing?

...I think he might.

I'll play devils advocate, the other two parts of that trade are significant contributors to the M's this year. Morse is hitting .325 in 45 games and Jeremy Reed has played in 91 games.

I agree with you though in that our feelings are going to be different now, tomorrow, and next season.

Edited by UofIChiSox

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 09:57 AM)
DISCLAIMER: Kenny Williams will be making a move between now and 3:00 CT.  Consequently, there will be a variety of different emotions/backlashes in response to said move.  Before melting down, or posting some violent tyraid that no one enjoys reading, please, do yourself--and likewise, all the good folks at Soxtalk--the favor of reading and re-reading this post.

Do you remember that Olivo character?  That, "can't miss" "five-tool" catcher that General Manager Kenny Williams foolishly traded away to Seattle for the single most coveted starting pitcher on the market in Freddy Garcia?  You know Freddy Garcia don't ya...The current 10 game winner with our belov'ed White Sox. 

Well, after hitting a robust .154 with 5HR and 18RBI with the Mariners in over 50 games, Olivo was sent down to AAA.  There, Olivo went on to hit .233 with 3HR and 26RBI.

Suprisingly, or not so suprisingly, enough, the Mariners were quick to get rid of Olivo as he was traded to the Padres for C Miguel Ojeda and a minor league pitcher.  Couple that with the rumors that no one on the White Sox liked pitching to the young backstop and you may have a deal in which Kenny Williams comes out smelling like a rose.

...I think he might.

:headbang Great post. Prospects are just that prospects. Everytime there has been a cant miss prospect, they come up and fail.

QUOTE(UofIChiSox @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 11:01 AM)
I'll play devils advocate, the other two parts of that trade are significant contributors to the M's this year.  Morse is hitting .325 in 45 games and Jeremy Reed has played in 91 games.

I agree with you though in that our feelings are going to be different now, tomorrow, and next season.

LOL, Jeremy Reed has played in 91 games, therefore the trade was worth it. He is hitting .252, 2 HR, 34 RBI, and he has hit 1 for his last 19.

Im thinking this is not what Sox fans thought they were giving away and this is definitely not what Seattle thought they were getting.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:57 AM)
DISCLAIMER: Kenny Williams will be making a move between now and 3:00 CT.  Consequently, there will be a variety of different emotions/backlashes in response to said move.  Before melting down, or posting some violent tyraid that no one enjoys reading, please, do yourself--and likewise, all the good folks at Soxtalk--the favor of reading and re-reading this post.

Do you remember that Olivo character?  That, "can't miss" "five-tool" catcher that General Manager Kenny Williams foolishly traded away to Seattle for the single most coveted starting pitcher on the market in Freddy Garcia?  You know Freddy Garcia don't ya...The current 10 game winner with our belov'ed White Sox. 

Well, after hitting a robust .154 with 5HR and 18RBI with the Mariners in over 50 games, Olivo was sent down to AAA.  There, Olivo went on to hit .233 with 3HR and 26RBI.

Suprisingly, or not so suprisingly, enough, the Mariners were quick to get rid of Olivo as he was traded to the Padres for C Miguel Ojeda and a minor league pitcher.  Couple that with the rumors that no one on the White Sox liked pitching to the young backstop and you may have a deal in which Kenny Williams comes out smelling like a rose.

...I think he might.

your reading too many of my posts.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 05:12 PM)
LOL, Jeremy Reed has played in 91 games, therefore the trade was worth it. He is hitting .252, 2 HR, 34 RBI, and he has hit 1 for his last 19. 

Im thinking this is not what Sox fans thought they were giving away and this is definitely not what Seattle thought they were getting.

While Olivo has obviously not been a success Reed and Morse have been great for the Mariners...Reed started the season slow with the bat but his defense has been amazing this year and I think already he is one of the top defensive CF's in the league. And he is starting to hit the ball better now and he does have 30 walks which is pretty good especially being a rookie

Morse has been dynamite for them and is hitting like .325ish and has done nothing but hit since being with the mariners.

All that being said we have a ton of OF talent in our minors so losing Reed wasnt that big of a deal and I think Valido has a chance to be a great future ss and love watching Uribe there anyways....

The hardest part of the trade was a lot of people were emotionally attached to Olivo because we all assumed he was going to be with us for a long time and he was rather fun to watch play.

QUOTE(soxhawks @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:02 PM)
but their careers have taken very similar paths

Olivo Career Path:

Oakland ----> Chicago ----> Seattle ----> San Diego

Davis Career Path:

San Diego ----> Seattle ----> Chicago

just about backwards.