Aubrey Huff

VAfan

I'm all for getting Aubrey Huff and having him take Ross Gload's spot on the roster. But I'm not willing, and I hope KW is not willing, to give up Brandon McCarthy for him. McCarthy is the only pitcher we have in our system (Neal Cotts maybe) who could replace one of the Cubans as a starter next year or by 2007 when their contracts are up.

To put Huff's value in context, ask yourself whether Ozzie would even start him in game 1 of the playoffs. Then answer who he would replace.

Joe Crede - big defensive dropoff using Huff

Carl Everett - best possibility, but it disses Everett's early season heroics

Jermaine Dye - I don't think so

Paul Konerko - no

Scott Podsednik - NO

So, all of you guys who are ready to trade a cornerstone pitcher like Brandon McCarthy for a playoff role player, step back and think about how that will weaken the Sox' chances of making the playoffs for several years to come.

That would be a very bad deal.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

You have no idea what Huff's trade value is do you? None.

Just to put things into perspective: the Red Sox were supposedly offering their #1 prospect plus others for Huff alone. You pie-in-the-sky, MVP Baseball GMs have no idea what it would take to get a player of Huff's callibur.

Just to answer your question: yes, Huff would start in the playoffs, assuming Thomas is still DL'd and such.

C-Pierzynski

1B-Huff

2B-Iguchi

SS-Uribe

3B-Crede

OF-Rowand

OF-Podsednik

OF-Dye

DH-Konerko/Everett

Curious, how many threads are you gonna start about not trading Brandon McCarthy? I think your position is pretty well known on this topic.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
You have no idea what Huff's trade value is do you?  None.

Just to put things into perspective: the Red Sox were supposedly offering their #1 prospect plus others for Huff alone.  You pie-in-the-sky, MVP Baseball GMs have no idea what it would take to get a player of Huff's callibur.

Just to answer your question: yes, Huff would start in the playoffs, assuming Thomas is still DL'd and such.

C-Pierzynski

1B-Huff

2B-Iguchi

SS-Uribe

3B-Crede

OF-Rowand

OF-Podsednik

OF-Dye

DH-Konerko/Everett

Huff isn't even the starting 1B for Tampa Bay! The very exciting Travis Lee - he of 2 Hrs and 21 RBI, has started 62 of TBs games at that position this year.

So you think he's going to push Paul Konerko to the bench? Who needs to get a grip?

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:10 AM)
Huff isn't even the starting 1B for Tampa Bay!  The very exciting Travis Lee - he of 2 Hrs and 21 RBI, has started 62 of TBs games at that position this year.

So you think he's going to push Paul Konerko to the bench?  Who needs to get a grip?

Leave Soxtalk.

Please.

Just Leave.

Asking nicely.

...do us all the favor and play MVP baseball from now until 3:00 CT. It's a magical fantasy world in which you can trade for whomever you wish!

It's a real Candyland...of the mind, the mind.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:10 PM)
Huff isn't even the starting 1B for Tampa Bay!  The very exciting Travis Lee - he of 2 Hrs and 21 RBI, has started 62 of TBs games at that position this year.

So you think he's going to push Paul Konerko to the bench?  Who needs to get a grip?

Huff would be starting at DH, and hitting in the number 3 spot in the first game of the playoffs against either rhp or lhp. End of story!

QUOTE(JimH @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
Curious, how many threads are you gonna start about not trading Brandon McCarthy?  I think your position is pretty well known on this topic.

Why don't you answer the question of the thread? Would you trade McCarthy for Huff? Would you start Huff ahead of one of the 5 guys I mentioned?

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:12 PM)
Why don't you answer the question of the thread?  Would you trade McCarthy for Huff?  Would you start Huff ahead of one of the 5 guys I mentioned?

There's not a manager in baseball who'd rather have Everett play than Huff.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:11 PM)
Leave Soxtalk.

Please.

Just Leave.

Asking nicely.

...do us all the favor and play MVP baseball from now until 3:00 CT.  It's a magical fantasy world in which you can trade for whomever you wish!

It's a real Candyland...of the mind, the mind.

That is such crap. I've been a member on this site longer than you have. And you think I should leave because I have a high opinion of Brandon McCarthy and a realistic view of Aubrey Huff? I believe if you look that I put up a post well before you this year that the Sox should acquire Aubrey Huff. So cut the crap.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:16 AM)
That is such crap.  I've been a member on this site longer than you have.  And you think I should leave because I have a high opinion of Brandon McCarthy and a realistic view of Aubrey Huff?  I believe if you look that I put up a post well before you this year that the Sox should acquire Aubrey Huff.  So cut the crap.

Oh, so you're just completely ignorant.

Got it.

I'm done. You go ahead and trade Arnie Munoz for Aubrey Huff...let me know how that works out for ya.

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
There's not a manager in baseball who'd rather have Everett play than Huff.

I might start Huff ahead of Everett myself, but I'm not sure Ozzie would. Even so, the marginal difference between Everett and Huff is not worth surrendering "the next Jack McDowell," now is it?

Look at Oakland. You think Billy Beane would give up any of his 5 starters for Aubrey Huff? Is McCarthy as good as at least 3 of them?

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:20 PM)
I might start Huff ahead of Everett myself, but I'm not sure Ozzie would.  Even so, the marginal difference between Everett and Huff is not worth surrendering "the next Jack McDowell," now is it? 

Look at Oakland.  You think Billy Beane would give up any of his 5 starters for Aubrey Huff?  Is McCarthy as good as at least 3 of them?

McCarthy isn't better than any of the Oakland starting pitchers. Also, I guarantee you that Jack McDowell wouldn't have done very well at the launching pad that is the Cell in the summer. I love these comparisons of someone being "the next". How's "the next" Mark McGwire doing for Charlotte this season (Borchard). He's gone from LTP to DFA.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:18 PM)
We want you to leave because you suck.

I've posted off an on this board and others for several years. No one has ever directed this kind of talk at me. It has no place on a board of this kind.

If you think my point makes no sense, by all means rip it. But there is no reason to make a personal attack. I've never made one against any of you.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:26 PM)
I've posted off an on this board and others for several years.  No one has ever directed this kind of talk at me.  It has no place on a board of this kind. 

If you think my point makes no sense, by all means rip it.  But there is no reason to make a personal attack.  I've never made one against any of you.

:crying :crying :crying :P

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 10:26 AM)
I've posted off an on this board and others for several years.  No one has ever directed this kind of talk at me.  It has no place on a board of this kind. 

If you think my point makes no sense, by all means rip it.  But there is no reason to make a personal attack.  I've never made one against any of you.

I agree. Quite frankly ( Stephen A. Smith is gay), I haven't agreed with a lot of what you have said recently but I can see where you are coming from. Don't attack people personally, just because some people post more often than others, it does not give them the right to belittle the opinion of others as stupid or unknowledgable.

QUOTE(mrzo2733 @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:30 PM)
I agree. Quite frankly ( Stephen A. Smith is gay), I haven't agreed with a lot of what you have said recently but I can see where you are coming from. Don't attack people personally, just because some people post more often than others, it does not give them the right to belittle the opinion of others as stupid or unknowledgable.

I'm still not exactly sure why a mod was allowed to refer to some on this site as f***ers yesterday. Oh well, it's only a message board :)

QUOTE(fathom @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:23 PM)
McCarthy isn't better than any of the Oakland starting pitchers.  Also, I guarantee you that Jack McDowell wouldn't have done very well at the launching pad that is the Cell in the summer.  I love these comparisons of someone being "the next".  How's "the next" Mark McGwire doing for Charlotte this season (Borchard). He's gone from LTP to DFA.

Of course I didn't come up with the comparison to Jack McDowell, Ozzie Guillen did. But now you are suggesting Jack McDowell wouldn't have been that good a pitcher for us had he played in the Cell? What?

As for the Borchard comparisons, I'd be willing to give up Brian Anderson for Huff because Anderson isn't likely to be a key cog for us in the next two years, and we have other guys behind him who may be better.

What pitcher in the Sox system behind McCarthy is better than McCarthy? Tracey? Gio? The new draft pick?

Would you have traded Mark Buehrle in 2000 for a role player like Huff? (I'm not saying McCarthy is Buehrle, but he's got too much upside not to find out.)

Why don't you answer the question of the thread?  Would you trade McCarthy for Huff?  Would you start Huff ahead of one of the 5 guys I mentioned?

Your questions have been answered 200 times because you keep posting the same stuff. We understand you want to hang onto McCarthy because you've been posting it non stop.

I agree with you about the personal attack stuff, but when you have 3-4 posters telling you that you're overdoing it ... well, maybe they have a point.

QUOTE(VAfan @ Jul 31, 2005 -> 04:34 PM)
Would you have traded Mark Buehrle in 2000 for a role player like Huff?  (I'm not saying McCarthy is Buehrle, but he's got too much upside not to find out.)

Maybe it's just me, but I don't watch McCarthy pitch and think "wow, this guy has amazing upside". And yes, I think if McDowell pitched in the Cell with the way the ball carries now, he would have had a lot of problems keeping the ball in the park.

Who are we really competing for with respect to Huff? Boston?

I don't think so. You think if Boston isn't able to unload Manny Ramirez that they are still shopping their best prospects to TB for Aubrey Huff? Is anyone else in the Huff market?

Either TB is going to come down in price for Huff, or they are going to end up keeping him. Both results would be fine would me.