MAGIC NUMBER 45

JUGGERNAUT

It seemed kind of goofy for the Tribune to post the magic number box after the All-Star break. After all a MN of 67 is kind of crazy. But now it seems noteworthy.

The Sox shaved off 22 on the MN since the AS-break. At that rate they'll clinch before Sept 1st call-ups arrive.

With an O's sweep in the works today the team has now jumped from the 97 win mark to 100 wins. That's not a dream any more. It's an expectation. Wow!

Kudos to all in the White Sox organization, but especially Frank Thomas.

Maybe it's coincidence or maybe it was inspiration but whatever it was it arrived with Thomas in June. The team was a woeful 250ish like hit club before Thomas arrived.

It's been pushing north of .270 ever since. Maybe it was just the way he played with pain that inspired the rest of the lineup. Hopefully the luck charm is here to stay.

I think Blum is a good answer to combat what looks to be a very hot A's team.

Versatility with a glove is what you need the most to battle Beane's magic. This is shaping up to be an incredible year where Kenny's wits go up against Beane's as one of the traditional goliaths sit home.

The 4 best teams in MLB right now are:

White Sox, A's, Cards, Astros. Any one who says otherwise is just a homer.

Rounding out the post-season: Angels, Red Sox, Braves, D Backs

The best battles to come White Sox vs A's in the ALCS. Cards vs Astros in the NLCS.

The drama of the game doesn't get any better :cheers

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

yeah, that pissed the hell out of me. I know the BoSox and Yanks have perenially in the playoffs but what did they do to get better than us this year? How about the Yanks go acquire another s***ty pitcher to add to the list of 13 different starters this year. The inactivity in the market this year speaks volumes, just not the way BBTN thinks.

Hey, were you looking over my shoulder Duke? :)

Edited by ceffa2000

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:51 AM)
Out of curiosity (and I suppose planning purposes), does anybody know the dates of the first playoff series?

The season ends in Cleveland on October 2nd, so I figure the playoffs would probably start on the Tuesday/Wednesday, October 4th/5th....

QUOTE(ceffa2000 @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 09:55 AM)
yeah, that pissed the hell out of me.  I know the BoSox and Yanks have perenially in the playoffs but what did they do to get better than us this year? How about the Yanks go acquire another s***ty pitcher to add to the list of 13 different starters this year.  The inactivity in the market this year speaks volumes, just not the way BBTN thinks.

Hey, were you looking over my shoulder Duke?  :)

ESPN's Baseball Tonight revolves around the Red Sox/Yankees - anything else is just an afterthought to them.

QUOTE(Balance @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
Now that MIN and CLE are tied, it might soon have to be CLE losses we're tracking, not MIN....

Yeah, I don't think our magic number (currently 44 after the 6-3 win today) goes down if Minnesota loses because Cleveland take over 2nd place.

Is that correct ?

QUOTE(spiderman @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
Yeah, I don't think our magic number (currently 44 after the 6-3 win today) goes down if Minnesota loses because Cleveland take over 2nd place.

Is that correct ?

Correct if they pass up the Twinks and take sole possession of second place.

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
Sox won't clinch prior to Sept 1....how likely is it that the Twins and Indians will both lose 20-23 games this month AND the Sox will win that many?

They'll clinch second week of september....

Hopefully Sept 8th..........right???? :headbang :gosox3:

QUOTE(Greg Hibbard @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 04:13 PM)
Well, that would be about right...

I think if we can maul Toronto and Seattle, take 5 of 6 and increase the division lead to 17 games or so, we can put the final nails in the coffin of our AL Central rivals...

after next week the schedule gets brutal so let's bury them now!

I've been worrying about them coming back for a long time and even I'm now ready to admit this. They're dead and buried.

QUOTE(Milkman delivers @ Aug 1, 2005 -> 03:16 PM)
I've been worrying about them coming back for a long time and even I'm now ready to admit this.  They're dead and buried.

I agree with you, but if we scuffle against these weak teams and then go through our toughest stretch and come out of it only up 9 or 10 games, the Indians and/or Twins are gonna be clammering about the Sox choking. Let's just end this s*** now, that's what I say.

To be honest, I'm a bit disappointed in how the Central is shaping up this year. At this rate, our remaining head-to-head games against the Twins aren't going to be that meaningful. I was looking forward to crunch-time against them.

Nevertheless, I like being up 15 games. So I'm really not going to complain.

Doesn't it not go down since the Indians are now in 2nd?

nope twins lose, therefor magic # goes down...

foxsports.com has it at 43

the reason is because the 2nd place team had 50 loses when the magic # was 44 now the 2nd place team has 51 losses therefor the magic # goes down 1 to the current 43. which btw is the milkman's number when he was with the sox :D

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/standings

Edited by Whitesoxfan56