Harris Deals With Demotion

AddisonStSox

Per Whitesox.com

Notes: Harris deals with demotion

07/31/2005 9:54 PM ET

By Scott Merkin / MLB.com

BALTIMORE -- Willie Harris said all the right things after learning from Ozzie Guillen that he had been sent down to Triple-A Charlotte prior to Sunday night's contest at Camden Yards.

Harris explained an understanding of this game ultimately being a business and that someone had to be moved to the Knights with the acquisition of Geoff Blum on Sunday afternoon. With Blum serving the same basic role as both Harris and Ross Gload, both reserves with options remaining actually were moved to the Minor Leagues. Right-hander Jon Adkins also will join the team on Monday, further strengthening the White Sox's strongest suit as a team.

The understanding shown by Harris, though, shouldn't be confused with acceptance. The arbitration-eligible Harris probably has seen the end of his run with the White Sox.

"If you really look at it, our second baseman is signed for a couple of years," a somewhat defiant Harris explained. "So, I guess it might be pretty much over.

"But you never know. Anything can happen. I'm going to stay positive and one thing I can say is this isn't the last of me because I'm going to Triple-A. Somebody had to go. So, go down there and get your work in, but it's definitely not the last of Willie Harris."

Harris batted .217 over 92 at-bats and 40 games this season with the White Sox, driving in six and swiping eight bases. He had a chance to start back-to-back games earlier this week in Kansas City, while incumbent second baseman Tadahito Iguchi was being rested and nursing a slight ankle injury, but Harris didn't think about whether he also was being showcased for a possible trade.

Instead, Harris said he was just excited to receive the pair of opportunities. That excitement isn't really in the same Zip code in terms of Harris' feelings in regards to the trip to Charlotte.

"Not exactly. I'm not fired up at all," Harris said. "I'm not excited to go either. You gotta go, though. It's part of the game."

As the White Sox's starting second baseman for part of 2004, Harris hit .262 with a team-high 19 stolen bases. But his inconsistency led to the offseason addition of Iguchi and relegated Harris to the bench.

It was just one month ago when Harris told MLB.com that he would prove his ability as a quality Major Leaguer, if given an everyday job without stipulations. Now, it's up to Harris to prove that he's worthy of a September callup.

"The only hard thing about this is I've been here the whole time in the grind with [the team]," Harris said. "However many games up we are, that's the toughest thing about it.

"Not only that, but somebody at a higher level feels like I really don't fit. That's the toughest thing for me to deal with."

Strong belief: Just as the White Sox had no desire to move Bobby Jenks in order to complete a non-waiver trade deadline deal of great magnitude, Jenks' mere presence also kept the White Sox from adding a reliever where there was a little uncertainty. That theory reportedly applied to Tampa Bay's Danys Baez and Pittsburgh's Jose Mesa, with doubts on the White Sox's part as to whether they could handle a non-closer's sort of role.

There are few questions in regards to Jenks' 100-mph fastball and 86-mph off-speed stuff. He has produced a 4.15 earned run average over seven Major League games, striking out 13 in 8 2/3 innings, and has been used lately in tight situations. Jenks entered Saturday's game in the eighth inning, with his team leading by two, and retired Melvin Mora on a flyout to right before walking Miguel Tejada and being replaced by Damaso Marte.

The 24-year-old right-hander appreciates the confidence shown in him by the White Sox, and understands his role means pitching at any time for any length of time.

"I showed them what I can go out and do," Jenks said. "I'm doing the things I need to do out there on the mound to have a little success and get used a lot more."

Helping hand: After a media member asked Guillen on Sunday for an update on Allen Thomas, the team's director of conditioning, the White Sox manager showed a picture on his Palm Pilot that Thomas had e-mailed. Thomas' 4,200-square-foot home in North Carolina literally had been leveled by an explosion caused by a gas leak, making it look more like the aftereffects caused by a hurricane or a tornado.

Guillen had just finished talking with Thomas prior to his pregame media session and said that Thomas planned on returning to Chicago on Wednesday. The plan for the White Sox players and all aspects of the organization to help out Thomas in this time of need still was firmly in place, according to Guillen.

"I'm going to talk to Jerry Reinsdorf about trying to help us," Guillen said. "I'm going to talk to the Chicago White Sox charity people. We might do something for him, sign some autographs, a golf outing, or lunch or dinner with the fans.

"I'm not the type of manager that when you have a problem, you take care of it," Guillen added. "A.T. [Thomas] has a problem, that means it involves everybody. We're going to do everything in our power to help his family."

Down on the farm: Although Kris Honel's ERA still sits at 5.88 and he was taken off the White Sox's 40-man roster earlier this season, the former first-round draft pick has showed recent signs of life. Honel allowed one run on five hits over seven innings on Saturday, leading Double-A Birmingham to a 5-1 victory at Chattanooga. Corwin Malone, also battling his way back from arm trouble, threw the final two scoreless innings, while Chris Stewart led the offense with a home run and four RBIs.

Gio Gonzalez fanned 10 over 6 2/3 innings, improving to 4-1 with Class A Winston-Salem and 9-4 on the season, as the Warthogs topped Potomac by a 9-4 margin during Game 1 of a doubleheader. Both Tom Collaro (No. 24) and Carlos Lee (10) went deep. John Egbert struck out eight over seven innings, leading Winston-Salem to a 3-0 whitewash in the nightcap. Frank Viola Jr. improved to 3-1 during Bristol's 9-2 victory over Johnson City.

Coming soon: Mark Buehrle's name can be found amongst the American League leaders in innings pitched (155, first), ERA (2.96, third) and wins (tied for fifth). But the 11-4 left-hander will be trying to bounce back from a shaky effort last Tuesday; he allowed seven runs in six innings, during a loss at Kansas City. Buehrle increased his streak to 49 straight games in which he has worked at least six innings. Buehrle will start the series finale on Monday against the Orioles at 11:35 a.m. CT.

...I'm all broken up about it. <_>

From the Tribune:

"Not only that, but somebody at a higher level feels you don't fit," Harris said. "That's probably the toughest thing for me."

Harris realizes his days with the Sox could be over because of Iguchi's success and also because Iguchi is signed through 2006.

"But you never know," said Harris, who was hitting .217 in 92 at-bats. "Something can happen. One thing I can say is that this isn't the last of me just because I'm going to Triple A.

"Somebody has to go. I'll get work in. This definitely is not the last of Willie Harris."

Harris, 27, sat behind the Sox dugout and rooted for his teammatesduring the first inning Sunday night. Gload and Harris have 72 hours to report to Charlotte.

:headshake