Sox agreed to trade for Griffey Jr.

maggsmaggs

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Before the injuries, Kline was a key reliever for the National League champions, allowing runs in only eight of his 67 outings and going the entire season without allowing an earned run at home.Pitching, Defense & HittingOne of baseball's most effective lefthanded relievers, Kline mixes a hard slider and a sinking fastball. He is not afraid to run deep counts rather than throwing something over the heart of the plate, and he can also get key double plays with his sinker. Kline does a good job of holding runners and fielding his position. In his rare chances, Kline has shown he can handle the bat.

Last year they batter .143

He might just not be happy with the O's as I once heard.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 10:46 AM)
His ERA is in the high 5's....pass.

QUESTION: If Griffey was acquired, why not just put him in the 3 spot and at DH and keep the outfield intact?

Thats what I think would happen. He would ocassionally spell the OF's though.

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:46 PM)
Wait, why are we talking about this? This deal didn't get done and I know it won't. Sad I know, but I hate having to talk about guys we could've had. Especially my 2nd favorite player ever. I mean if we talk about Griffey, we might as well talk about Roger Clemens and Barry Bonds(both guys we could've had).

How do you know that the Sox can't get Griffey. There's a good chance that he would clear waivers and KW has already shown a willingness to deal good prospects for him, the only thing blocking the deal would be the Cincy Ownership group. Why would you bring up Clemens adn Bonds, the Sox have a 1000000% higher chance of landing Griffey than either of those two what because we could of had them in Free Agency? s*** comparison.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)
Here is an interesting name and i'm not sure if the Orioles would put him on waivers or not but Tim Byrdak.  His ERA is in the 2's and leftys are hitting .160 off of him.  Plus he is a local product.

Yeah because teams usually look to unload their good bullpen arms. Maybe we can get Andy Sisco!!!!!!11111 :rolly

Edited by Kalapse

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:55 PM)
Here is an interesting name and i'm not sure if the Orioles would put him on waivers or not but Tim Byrdak.  His ERA is in the 2's and leftys are hitting .160 off of him.  Plus he is a local product.

I doubt they'd want to get rid of him...

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:55 PM)

WOW

Why don't we just let go of Politte and Cotts...:banghead

If Griffey does get to us in waivers, anyone think that Kenny puts a claim in? If he is that serious about getting him, and they think that Frank is done, why not? He can still try to get a trade done and if that doesn't happen then we keep the prospects and eat the money, that is if Cincy lets him go.

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
You know this how?

QUOTE(Kalapse @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:50 PM)
How do you know that the Sox can't get Griffey. There's a good chance that he would clear waivers and KW has already shown a willingness to deal good prospects for him, the only thing blocking the deal would be the Cincy Ownership group. Why would you bring up Clemens adn Bonds, the Sox have a 1000000% higher chance of landing Griffey than either of those two what because we could of had them in Free Agency? s*** comparison.

Because simply, there's every other team in the league that has to say no to Griffey before we even get a shot. Their owner Lindner(I think it is) basically didn't trade him from a PR standpoint. All Red fans feel that way and that basically the owner won't deal Griffey unless it's for a major league player back. The fans(Red Fans) personally think that it would just be better for them to get rid of Griffey, but if you read their board, they don't see it happening. They think there's a better shot moving Casey's contract.

As far as Bonds and Clemens, I believe they made it known that they wanted to sign with the White Sox. Frank wanted Belle here over Bonds IIRC and Schueler thought Clemens was washed up so he didn't sign him. I honestly think there was a waaaaaaay better chance of those two signings happening over Griffey clearing waivers over every team in the majors to get to us.

QUOTE(White Sox Josh @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:03 PM)
Also Jamie Walker from the Tigers is a possible name.  He can get lefties out.  The only problem is that the Tigers might not want to trade in the division.

Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers. Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers. Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers. Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers.

QUOTE(Finkelstein @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:58 PM)
If Griffey does get to us in waivers, anyone think that Kenny puts a claim in?  If he is that serious about getting him, and they think that Frank is done, why not?  He can still try to get a trade done and if that doesn't happen then we keep the prospects and eat the money, that is if Cincy lets him go.

If the original story is true, I don't see Kenny Williams trying to work out another trade with the Reds at this time at the expense of other possible moves he could make....He couldnt' get a deal done before, why not focus on other ones ?

QUOTE(GBlum27 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 02:04 PM)
Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers.  Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers.  Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers.  Players with cheap contracts don't pass through waivers.

What are you trying to say?