Sox agreed to trade for Griffey Jr.

maggsmaggs

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
yanks arent going to go after him, i think their lineup is already pretty packed and there arent many open spots on their roster to put him, im not even sure where we would put him quite frankly, i like carl and id hate to bench him

They'd make a spot for Griffey, but Griff has said he doesn't want a part of NY.

• Replies 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd be willing to bet Griffey already has or soon will pass through waivers.

Agree completely. We don't know the details, but insider baseball people often say the average baseball fan would be shocked to know who actually clears waivers.

I doubt this will happen though. If Cincinnati ownership squashed it at the deadline, I'm not sure why they'd change their minds a week later.

QUOTE(ChWRoCk2 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:53 PM)
yanks arent going to go after him, i think their lineup is already pretty packed and there arent many open spots on their roster to put him, im not even sure where we would put him quite frankly, i like carl and id hate to bench him

Sorry, but i think even Carl would defer to griffey as being the better hitter in this situation. Griffey would be PT outfielder and almost fulltime DH, while Carl moves around filling in for Arow, Pods and Dye and being PT DH. No brainer

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:53 AM)
They might try, but no way he ends up there.

Reds would pull him, not gonna let him go to a divison rival. The Cards aren't cheap, but I can't see them taking that contract.

The Reds wouldn't pull him. If you claim him on waivers, the Reds would be more than happy to let you eat the rest of his contract. He is not going to get claimed. It is far too risky.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
Yeah, I sold all of my green font to Texsox for use on SLaP, in exchange for a font TBNL.

Wow, font TBNL passed through waivers already? Im an average baseball fan and I am shocked. :D

QUOTE(Mr. Showtime @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 12:59 PM)
You could be correct, but I could've sworn you start out in whatever league you are in first.

I think you are right, I had a serious brain fart, followed quickly by a real one. La Bamba is not kind today.

QUOTE(kyyle23 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:25 AM)
Well if they are still going to try and get rid of Dunn, and Casey is rumored to be on the way out because of lack of production and hefty contract, then Young and Rogo make sense.

Sure, they'd want pitching. It makes sense to me, but at the same time, if the Sox weren't willing to give up a guy like Bmac (and to some teams, Chris Young may be of interest more to some teams) than it would make sense to me. Young is a guy with stellar upside (and I do mean stellar) and when it comes to those type of guys, the Reds will make room.

Especially since Dunn, Casey, and Griffey should all be gone by the start of next season (well if their GM and owners were any smart they'd all be moved, plus Milton).

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 01:02 PM)
You should see what a new font costs on the open market.  Luckily I have the biggest posting total on Soxtalk and can afford it.

Im gonna start calling you steinbrenner2k5 then ;)

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 11:10 AM)
Whoa, hold the Fock up there.  Do not, and I repeat do not ever say anything bad about the chili in the Nati.  I crave Skyline every time I go out, and that stuff is undiscovered gold in my mind. 

I will always be a Reds fan, but this was a case of them holding on too tighly to a local hero.  Young could of been a star in the making for them, and really solidified their future.  Rogo could of taken the place of Washed up Casey, and they would've come out looking decent in that deal.  Griff prob would of Dh'ed for us alot, and we would be more deadly, but I suspect that he will still be dealt through waivers.

As a person that had to go to Cincy a lot for work I was subjected to that filth they call chili a bunch of times. It has nutmeg and chocolate in it and crap. Its not chili but runny crap. Chili is best southwest style, nice and hot. If you want something sweet I suggest an ice cream cone.

QUOTE(Controlled Chaos @ Aug 3, 2005 -> 09:30 AM)
Im still kinda confused.  So Boston can claim him and then if a trade doesn't get worked out...they can say forget it and then nobody gets him???  or is it if a trade doesn't get worked out either way Boston gets griffey and has to take on his whole contract?

Ya, if Boston claims him, than Griffey would either be a Red Sox or Red.

The Reds could simply say, fine, take his contract (the Red Sox would than pay the 20,000 waiver fee to the Reds) and Griffey goes his way.

If the Reds/BoSox don't want to go that far, than the Reds and Red Sox could work out a trade for the slugger.

If they can't work out a trade and Cincy doesn't want the Red Sox to simply take his contract off their hands (with a full waiver claim) than Griffey is stuck in Cincy for the rest of the season.

However, if no team puts a waiver claim on Griffey (which I expect to happen) than the Reds are free to negotiate a trade with any team in baseball.