Harris in LF?

fathom

• Replies 151
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(nitetrain8601 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 01:50 PM)
Sounds logical.

Birmingham is in the middle of a playoff race. I don't think they're going to wanna give up their lead-off man at this point in the season.

The Sox will make an organizational move, like Leo Daigle again, before they move Owens/Rogo/Young

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:07 PM)
Birmingham is in the middle of a playoff race. I don't think they're going to wanna give up their lead-off man at this point in the season.

The Sox will make an organizational move, like Leo Daigle again, before they move Owens/Rogo/Young

Good point. But would they sacrifice the coveted Southern League title for Griffey?

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 09:03 AM)
Exactly, he is one of our best prospects and he plays the OF.  He or Owens are the logical choices and it appears they feel Anderson is more ready than Owens and that's ok by me.  Willie Harris is a 2B, not an OF.

I've only watched BA in spring training, but I tell you that guy is so damn exciting to watch. I think he's pretty damn fast, too. He stumbled and fell out of the box and still managed a triple in one spring game I saw! I hope they keep Pods on the bench and just let him heal up completely. He's too valuable to have dinged up and the Sox are too far ahead not to give him time to mend.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 11:30 AM)
I'll just say a FutureSox source could not confirm this, and yes, he's credible.

Did you try confirming with the same person I did?

From what I know as of this point is there are talks of promoting Anderson, but nothing official has happened.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

From what I know as of this point is there are talks of promoting Anderson, but nothing official has happened.

I dunno, email me or AIM me.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:46 PM)

Yup, basically the guy knows there's talk around Anderson but hasn't heard anything about an actual move about to take place.

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:18 PM)
I dunno, email me or AIM me.

Heads.. I didn't mean to cut you off on AIM earlier.. something happened to the work connection. I did tell him to "cut the mop" when I saw him Friday night.. he just laughed. He did email me back though - which surprised me. We didn't need his help though. Jr took care of us. Thanks for your help.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 02:42 PM)
ESPN 1000 3:40 sports center update"Brian Anderson recalled from Charlotted. Scott Podsednik likely headed to the DL"

I hate to see Pods go on the DL but theres a lot of good reasons why he should even if he isn't that badly hurt. To make sure he gets 100% healthy, rest the legs, and to clear his mind on his current slide.

I will be very excited if Anderson gets called up, I have been pushing for Brian to be called up for a while.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:42 PM)
ESPN 1000 3:40 sports center update"Brian Anderson recalled from Charlotted. Scott Podsednik likely headed to the DL"

YES!!!!! I cant wait to see him in person. I hope he gets to play one of the next few days. Scotty needed a break, and BA needed to be brought up.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 15, 2005 -> 03:29 PM)
Heads.. I didn't mean to cut you off on AIM earlier.. something happened to the work connection. I did tell him to "cut the mop" when I saw him Friday night.. he just laughed. He did email me back though - which surprised me. We didn't need his help though. Jr took care of us. Thanks for your help.

It's cool. I told ya he was nice. :P

The leadoff spot in the order is incredibly overrated, especially in the AL.

You could argue that low-OBP Steal demons like are an afterthought, but a high-OBP lead off man who knows how to force the pitcher to throw everything he has up the sleeve and who can fake him out at 1st all day long, is still as important as ever. Not only does he help set the tempo for the game (too lazy to look up the actual numbers, but Kenny Lofton figured prominently into, it seemed like, every meaningful rally with the Giants and Cub down the stretch a few years back), which is just what this "get-a-lead-and-let-the-pitcher-hold-em-off" team needs.... but also #1 and #2 hitters in the line-up prolong the inning for 3-4 boppers and ensure that they are actually being pitched to. When do you think David Ortiz is at his most dangerous - when Damon and Renteria are on and no outs, or with bases empty and 2 outs?

That said, Willie Harris is not the man for the job. And lately, it seemed like Pods wasn't, either. Unfair to ask Jerry Owens to jump from low-Aball all the way into ML in just over a year.