8/21 Games

WHarris1

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
Chris Young just raking.  Over. 281 now.  4-4, 2 HR, 2 1B, 2 SB...wow...

http://www.minorleaguebaseball.com/app/mil...biraax_mobaax_1

I think I am more giddy about Young the any of our recenent propsects, more than anyone including when Reed was hitting .400+ in AA or when McCarthy had than roll last year.

Edited by maggsmaggs

just got back from the charlotte/durum game. they lost 5-4 in the bottom of the ninth. the charlotte SS who's name escapes me at the moment, put the winning run on with an error. then allowed him to score on a liner off his glove. bullard pitched pretty well. consistently between 74-84 mph. man does he throw some slop up there. he could pitch in the majors if his control is pinpoint. borch hit a homer to center. didn't hit it well and it went about 415 feet. he had another rbi on a hard grounder and got a single into center. the bulls got another cheap run when bullard picked a runner off first but rosie brown threw it into center. jim bullinger looked pathetic out there. gave up a walk and a double w/o getting an out.

QUOTE(poorme @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 07:14 PM)
just got back from the charlotte/durum game. they lost 5-4 in the bottom of the ninth. the charlotte SS who's name escapes me at the moment, put the winning run on with an error. then allowed him to score on a liner off his glove. bullard pitched pretty well. consistently between 74-84 mph. man does he throw some slop up there. he could pitch in the majors if his control is pinpoint. borch hit a homer to center. didn't hit it well and it went about 415 feet. he had another rbi on a hard grounder and got a single into center. the bulls got another cheap run when bullard picked a runner off first but rosie brown threw it into center. jim bullinger looked pathetic out there. gave up a walk and a double w/o getting an out.

Felix Martinez was the SS, they showed the game on milb.com, he sure did blow it.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)
I think I am more giddy about Young the any of our recenent propsects, more than anyone including when Reed was hitting .400+ in AA or when McCarthy had than roll last year.

Power hitters that draw walks, have good speed, and play good defense will do that. :P

I'm too lazy to post all the other box scores, but Adam Russell, my sleeper prospect threw 7 shutout innings tonight. :D Box Score

Edited by danman31

QUOTE(Jordan4life_2005 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 08:17 PM)
When did Cunningham move up to Kanny?

Must of just been today, he played with Bristol the day before. Good to see him up, my man Brice is starting to rake as well.

QUOTE(maggsmaggs @ Aug 21, 2005 -> 07:52 PM)

I can see (Reds ownder) Linder calling KW up now and KW telling him he can just kiss his ass :lol:

QUOTE(Heads22 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 01:16 AM)
The only bad thing about this whole Chris Young being awesome thing is it means Jason was right all along.

That's tough to handle.

You've screwed him from any future success now. :P :bang

I would like to get a complete scouting report on Chris Young. It is obvious that he has speed and power. But I have heard bad things about his arm. Is his arm like pod's or damon 's or Pierre's. He does strikeout quite a bit Does he have bad strike zone judgement. Is he improving in the second half? Is he a good fielder? I would like to hear from someone who has seen him play

QUOTE(bigredrudy @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 02:53 PM)
I would like to get a complete scouting report on Chris Young. It is obvious that he has speed and power. But I have heard bad things about his arm. Is his arm like pod's or damon 's or Pierre's. He does strikeout quite a bit Does he have bad strike zone judgement. Is he improving in the second half? Is he a good fielder? I would like to hear from someone who has seen him play

From the Adopt-a-Prospect board, Chris Young's #'s by month:

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 19, 2005 -> 09:38 PM)
          BB    K   HR    AVG   OBP   SLG

April      8 31    4 .244  .310  .478

May    15 32    5 .271  .373  .533

June      17 19    8 .247  .369  .581

July*      5 13    1 .311  .382  .489

August    15 19    6

=========================================

Total  60  114 24 .282  .380  .566

This is a couple days old I think, but it shows his improvement over the first 2 months. He was plagued by an injury for much of July, thus the asterick.

Young's arm has improved over time. He's a kid who is very coachable and recognizes his strengths and weaknesses and he has done a LOT of work to improve his arm to at least be average. Better than Pods, yes, but not up with guys with Plus-arms like Sweeney, Anderson, Borch, Rowand...

He's got PLUS tools in 4 of the 5 categories and has an average arm in the 5th. As of today, I'm official not writing him off from making the 2006 team out of the gate. I would not be surprised to see them trade Rowand. with at least one of Young/Anderson opening in CF in 2006.

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 04:17 PM)
  I would not be surprised to see them trade Rowand. with at least one of Young/Anderson opening in CF in 2006.

Hold your horses there chief. That is one thing that is NOT going to happen. You just dont trade your yong Cf'er who is just coming into his own to bring up a AA player. Young, owens, sweeney, all have at least 1 more year in the minors ahead of them.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 03:59 PM)
Hold your horses there chief.  That is one thing that is NOT going to happen.  You just dont trade your yong Cf'er who is just coming into his own to bring up a AA player.  Young, owens, sweeney, all have at least 1 more year in the minors ahead of them.

And Anderson? Rowand has had a .750 OPS and has played very good defense, but Anderson is NOT a defensive downgrade...

Rowand can get you help and he's just starting to make some coin... Meanwhile, they have 4 young OF'ers within a year of making the majors.

What would you do?

Not to hijack this thread, but .750 OPS is utterly replaceable.

BTW, you might want to stop yourself from making "absolute" posts about something you don't control. There is no "ABSOLUTE" that says Rowand can't or won't be traded, so settle down.

Edited by Randar68

QUOTE(Randar68 @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 05:02 PM)
And Anderson?  Rowand has had a .750 OPS and has played very good defense, but Anderson is NOT a defensive downgrade...

Rowand can get you help and he's just starting to make some coin...  Meanwhile, they have 4 young OF'ers within a year of making the majors.

What would you do?

Not to hijack this thread, but .750 OPS is utterly replaceable.

We all know Anderson is due, and I think he take Timo's spot in the offseason, but we cant assume that AA players should be brought up right away. Maybe in 2007 they will be ready to step in and start, but right now, next year is a stretch.

All he said is that he would not be suprised to see it happen. I don't see that as a prediction it is going to happen.

It certainly is not beyond the realm of possibility, so I am fine with randar's thoughts. Perhaps he has a hot spring and starts in AAA for a month until a spot opens up via injury or trade. If something like that were to happen, in my mind, I would think that makes randar more right than wrong, despite the fact he wasn't there on Opening Day.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 22, 2005 -> 04:03 PM)
We all know Anderson is due, and I think he take Timo's spot in the offseason, but we cant assume that AA players should be brought up right away.  Maybe in 2007 they will be ready to step in and start, but right now, next year is a stretch.

Yeah, the place for a young player to grow is sitting on the bench 5 of every 7 games. Great.

:stupid

I have not assumed anything. However, Young made a 2-level jump and is having an MVP type season as a hitter in one of the best pitcher's parks in all of baseball and has steadily improved as the season has worn on. That's damn impressive and his physical tools far outstrip anyone else in the system. Those things being considered, all I am saying is that I'm not putting anything beyond reason for this kid, including making the team next year.

Edited by Randar68

Yeah, the place for a young player to grow is sitting on the bench 5 of every 7 games.  Great. 

:stupid

I have not assumed anything.  However, Young made a 2-level jump and is having an MVP type season as a hitter in one of the best pitcher's parks in all of baseball and has steadily improved as the season has worn on.  That's damn impressive and his physical tools far outstrip anyone else in the system.  Those things being considered, all I am saying is that I'm not putting anything beyond reason for this kid, including making the team next year.

Part of me _____ in anticipation.

But part of me is, like... he's 21 effin' years old! His prime, both in terms of pitch selection and sheer power, will likely reside in the 25-33 range; even if he is "Ready" - a big IF regardless of his awesome-since-April-stint-in-AA - why start his FA clock a year earlier just so we can endure almost-obligatory 750-OPS-que "growing pains"?

Our OF is set for 2006 as far as I am concerned. When Dye leaves, let the Young Era, um, do whatever it is eras do.

Edited by Yeast Confection