Let's Call Up BMac Sunday

Al Lopez Ghost (old)

With a twinight doubleheader in Texas (Tuesday, I believe), we need another starter. And it seems to me that with August 31 coming up fast, wouldn't having BMac on the roster be more potentially important for the playoffs than Jon Adkins? Injury insurance for one of our starters.

Now, I realize Texas pounded lumps on BMac last time, but he's gotta get over that hump some time.

Any thoughts?

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 09:45 AM)
With a twinight doubleheader in Texas (Tuesday, I believe), we need another starter. And it seems to me that with August 31 coming up fast, wouldn't having BMac on the roster be more potentially important for the playoffs than Jon Adkins? Injury insurance for one of our starters.

Now, I realize Texas pounded lumps on BMac last time, but he's gotta get over that hump some time.

Any thoughts?

I am not sure what thought I like better Adkins going down or Bmac coming up. :cheers

QUOTE(Al Lopez's Ghost @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 02:45 PM)

Any thoughts?

I'd love to see that (if nobody here knows me, I'm one of the worldcrossing members who came over here during the "fallout" season for wxing a couple of years ago). I've suggested all along that BMac should come up for relief duty to face ML pitching in a more controlled manner like we did with Burly. I also think that he's just a better option in a close ballgame than Adkins is at this point.

QUOTE(bulokis @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
When is charlotte's season going to be over? If their season is almost done, then have him up here. I think thats a good idea to have him up here, pitch in long relief and ease him up in the bigs.

don't the minor league seasons end at the end of August? Either way, I'm down with this move, big time. f*** Adkins. Get teh kid up here.

QUOTE(tonyho7476 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 03:28 PM)
don't the minor league seasons end at the end of August?  Either way, I'm down with this move, big time.  f*** Adkins.  Get teh kid up here.

BMac is the logical choice to spot start that game against Texas. But I wouldn't wait until then to send Adkins out. We could still use another hitter right now. Everyone knows who my choice would be.

QUOTE(JTC2784 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 08:59 AM)
I'd love to see that (if nobody here knows me, I'm one of the worldcrossing members who came over here during the "fallout" season for wxing a couple of years ago).  I've suggested all along that BMac should come up for relief duty to face ML pitching in a more controlled manner like we did with Burly.  I also think that he's just a better option in a close ballgame than Adkins is at this point.

:huh:

QUOTE(southsider17 @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 09:47 AM)
That's what they did with Buehrle in 2000.

I know, but did you see how his name was spelled.

I'd love to see that (if nobody here knows me, I'm one of the worldcrossing members who came over here during the "fallout" season for wxing a couple of years ago).  I've suggested all along that BMac should come up for relief duty to face ML pitching in a more controlled manner like we did with Burly.  I also think that he's just a better option in a close ballgame than Adkins is at this point.
Edited by sayitaintso

QUOTE(bulokis @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 10:24 AM)
When is charlotte's season going to be over? If their season is almost done, then have him up here. I think thats a good idea to have him up here, pitch in long relief and ease him up in the bigs.

Charlotte's season was over in April.

QUOTE(Colorado Sox Fan @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 10:27 AM)
He'll get hammered, just like he did last time. He's not ready.

BMac is a much improved pitcher since he was last up here. He's far better than Adkins.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
Adkins might have to clear waivers if you sent him down before Aug 31st.

:lol: You're saying that like it's a bad thing.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 05:34 PM)
Adkins might have to clear waivers if you sent him down before Aug 31st.

I don't think he would have to... wouldn't he have had to clear waivers when he went down out of spring training (or whenever he went down the first time... can't remember) since he was already on the 40-man?

I don't think he would have to... wouldn't he have had to clear waivers when he went down out of spring training (or whenever he went down the first time... can't remember) since he was already on the 40-man?

He was optioned to Charlotte in Mar so that means he had at least 1 option year left.

Since his MLB debut was in 08/14/2003 I don't think they would need to secure ML waivers on him either.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 12:34 PM)
At least you've proved your point :rolly

McCarthy's starts since demotion.

IP   H   R  ER  BB  SO  HR   ERA

McCarthy    45.1  30  10  10  12  38 4  1.99

I'm glad he's been lights out at Charlotte since his getting slapped around good when he was called up. Sox prospects have a habit of turning into suspects. I think he's got a chance to be good, but five or six good starts in a row at Charlotte aren't going to convince me he's the next Cy Young winner. If we can clinch early let him have a start or two in September and see how it goes.

QUOTE(Yossarian @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 01:54 PM)
I'm glad he's been lights out at Charlotte since his getting slapped around good when he was called up. Sox prospects have a habit of turning into suspects. I think he's got a chance to be good, but five or six good starts in a row at Charlotte aren't going to convince me he's the next Cy Young winner. If we can clinch early let him have a start or two in September and see how it goes.

Your alternative is to have Jon Adkins start that game. :puke

McCarthy has located his change up since being sent down. He has also added a 2 seam fastball. He's a different pitcher.

When he was called up before, he was getting shelled down in AAA, giving up 2 HR's per 9 IP with an ERA above 5. There was no surprise that he got lit up. He wasn't ready, but the alternative was Jon Adkins, Arnie Munoz, and Felix Diaz.

If you're going to let the 5 starts in the majors sully your view of him go ahead, you're missing out.

QUOTE(Gene Honda Civic @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 01:03 PM)
Your alternative is to have Jon Adkins start that game. :puke

McCarthy has located his change up since being sent down. He has also added a 2 seam fastball. He's a different pitcher.

When he was called up before, he was getting shelled down in AAA, giving up 2 HR's per 9 IP with an ERA above 5. There was no surprise that he got lit up. He wasn't ready, but the alternative was Jon Adkins, Arnie Munoz, and Felix Diaz.

If you're going to let the 5 starts in the majors sully your view of him go ahead, you're missing out.

:banghead What can I say? I hope he does well, I don't think he's ready for prime time yet. I don't want to rush or force feed him. Some guys need time. Jon Garland for example.