1. 1. Which one is the most "Chicago"?

• Italian Beefs (from wherever)
    • Hot Dog (Chicago Style)
    • Pizza

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The deep dish pizza pisses my Dad off. He grew up in Chicago (born in '40 and lived his whole life in the area until 1993) and claims the true Chicago Pizza is an extremely thin crust pizza. But he says marketing and time turned the think abomination into the now standard "Chicago Style Pizza".

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 03:48 PM)
The deep dish pizza pisses my Dad off. He grew up in Chicago (born in '40 and lived his whole life in the area until 1993) and claims the true Chicago Pizza is an extremely thin crust pizza. But he says marketing and time turned the think abomination into the now standard "Chicago Style Pizza".

Your dad is absolutely right. Though I quite enjoy the Uno's deep dish and Malnati's/Giordano's-style stuffed pizzas, they are not classic Chicago style. Cracker crust, loads of fresh mozzarella, good Italian seasoning in the sauce, and spice Chicago sausage, with the slices cross-cut into squares and NOT pie wedges – that's Chicago pizza.

And I refuse to vote in the poll. Three-way tie, and the commonality between all of them is the good Chicago beef that is our hallmark and legacy as the former stockyard capital of the world.

Damn I'm hungry now.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 04:29 PM)
Your dad is absolutely right.  Though I quite enjoy the Uno's deep dish and Malnati's/Giordano's-style stuffed pizzas, they are not classic Chicago style.  Cracker crust, loads of fresh mozzarella, good Italian seasoning in the sauce, and spice Chicago sausage, with the slices cross-cut into squares and NOT pie wedges – that's Chicago pizza.

And I refuse to vote in the poll.  Three-way tie, and the commonality between all of them is the good Chicago beef that is our hallmark and legacy as the former stockyard capital of the world.

Damn I'm hungry now.

go eat some oranges

I'd say Dogs, but not cuz of the dogs, but because of the "Salad on a Bun." I still get into arguments with my fiancee about putting ketchup on a hot dog. It just can't be done. And celery salt, if available, is a must.

Pizza is marketing...beef is everywhere Italians are.

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 04:41 PM)
I'd say Dogs, but not cuz of the dogs, but because of the "Salad on a Bun."  I still get into arguments with my fiancee about putting ketchup on a hot dog.  It just can't be done.  And celery salt, if available, is a must. 

Pizza is marketing...beef is everywhere Italians are.

JUST SAY NO TO KETCHUP ON HOTDOGS!!!

That is a first degree food felony.

i would think its most known for pizza. when i tell people im from chicago they comment about the pizza alot. my friends all say they want to go to chicago and get good chicago pizza, but they have no idea about the beef. they do know about hot dogs, but less so than pizza. so pizza > dogs >>> beef

that said, im in nashville, and i cant find a damn beef stand or anything anywhere. any beef that is sold is cheesesteaks, which dont even come close to comparing to a good italian beef. the beef is teh one thing, even more than pizza, that i really get a craving for.......what a catch by dye...........it may be because i am italian and always eat beef at home, but i think its cuz there are all sorts of pizza i can still eat, but there are 0 beef sandwiches sold around here

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
I'd say Dogs, but not cuz of the dogs, but because of the "Salad on a Bun."  I still get into arguments with my fiancee about putting ketchup on a hot dog.  It just can't be done.  And celery salt, if available, is a must. 

OH MY GOD, I argue with my friends, family, dog, about putting ketchup on hot dogs. IT CANT BE DONE. That IMO, ruins the hot dog.

They shouldnt have ketchup at the ballpark for your hotdogs and if you're caught using, you should be suspended for 10 games.

I have found a great hot dog down here at a place correctly called Chicago Dogs. Great guy owns it, kosher dogs, perfect.

I've had some excellent italian beef sandwiches while traveling.

I have never, never, had a truly outstanding pizza beyond 200 miles of Chicago. The sausage is all wrong, the sauce is too runny and tomato"ee", it's cut in pie wedges for God sake. So IMNSHO, Pizza is the correct choice.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 23, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)
JUST SAY NO TO KETCHUP ON HOTDOGS!!!

That is a first degree food felony.

Sudden Impact LOL

In Mexico, mayonnaise is standard. That is even more wrong, on soooooooo many different and disturbing levels.

I know this will sound criminal to many of you, but I do indeed put ketchup on hot dogs. That said, there are no better hot dogs than Vienna Beef Hot Dogs. Unfortunately, I can't get them down here so I am stuck with Nathan's, which aren't bad.

As far as pizza goes, I think Chicago is known by the masses for their stuffed crust pie, more so than the thin crust. The squares cut did originate in Chicago from what I understand, so one cannot ignore the thin crust there either. I have only had thin crust once in Chicago and it was at Gino's East. It was good, but not great. I prefer Giordano's or Uno to Gino's. I've never had Lou Malnati's, but I have heard it is good. Is the thin crust better there?

The only time I have had an Italian Beef was in the airport waiting for my plane. I will say it was damned good, but I haven't had one from a beef stand, as you guys reference.

I miss Vienna beef hot dogs, but get my fill of pizza here. There is a place down here owned by a couple of reloacated Chicagoans and the pizza is excellent. I have had two friends from Chicago try it and both gave it their seal of approval. Put it in any of the name Chicago pizza joints and it holds its own. This is the only "Chicago Style" pizza I have ever had that actually measures up.

Ok, so I am hungry now. Thanks!!