1. 1. Which one is the most "Chicago"?

• Italian Beefs (from wherever)
    • Hot Dog (Chicago Style)
    • Pizza

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 10:00 PM)
food, not word games . . .

Yeah, I concur that scrapple hardly qualifies as food.

Shame on all of us for not immediately calling 'Nawlins as the home to probably more endemic food than anywhere else in the country. Gumbo, jambalaya, boiled crawfish, shrimp/crawfish bisque, oysters Rockafeller, shrimp Remulaude, Po' boys, muffalettas (yum!), "barbecue" shrimp, grillades, crawfish etouffee, red beans and rice, blackened redfish... damn, that's good eats.

'Nawlins cuisine is hands-down my favorite to cook too.

Some great endemic desserts too, with beignets (served with chikory coffee like at Cafe du Monde), bananas Fosters, cherries jubilie.

Killer endemic drinks include hurricanes, pickled bean or okra bloody marys, milk punch,

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 03:42 AM)
Yeah, I concur that scrapple hardly qualifies as food.

Shame on all of us for not immediately calling 'Nawlins as the home to probably more endemic food than anywhere else in the country.  Gumbo, jambalaya, boiled crawfish, shrimp/crawfish bisque, oysters Rockafeller, shrimp Remulaude, Po' boys, muffalettas (yum!), "barbecue" shrimp, grillades, crawfish etouffee, red beans and rice, blackened redfish... damn, that's good eats.

'Nawlins cuisine is hands-down my favorite to cook too.

Some great endemic desserts too, with beignets (served with chikory coffee like at Cafe du Monde), bananas Fosters, cherries jubilie.

Killer endemic drinks include hurricanes, pickled bean or okra bloody marys, milk punch,

Po Boys from Mother's on Poydras street......

They don't get any better, boys and girls!

Rex,

It's expensive, but I ordered some of this stuff for special occasions when I was out in Colorado.

http://www.deepdishpizza.com/cgi-bin/lmcar...BEEF&TABINDEX=6

Click Vienna Beef packages at the top.... I couldn't get that specific link to work.

Edited by Gene Honda Civic

QUOTE(Rex Hudler @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 11:11 PM)
Po Boys from Mother's on Poydras street......   

They don't get any better, boys and girls!

:headbang Mother's has got a killer turtle soup. I think it's as good as Commander's Palace, and you don't even have to dress up.

A muffaletta at it's birthplace, the Central Grocery on Decatur is also must-do, dining.

Damn, hungry again.

Some of my favs....

Mother's: New Orleans

Skyline Chili: Cincinnati

Dreamland BBQ: Birmingham

Any Chicago Deep Dish Pizza

Grippos BBQ Potato Chips

Ok so I have hijacked this thread, but I'm on a roll now... Eat these and there is no other BBQ chip left worth putting in your mouth, I guarantee it!

Edited by Rex Hudler

Cheat, while looking up those places, I found the same link @ Tastes of Chicago

I saw the pizza, Vienna dogs and Carson's all together and it made me want to catch a flight on Southwest ASAP. lol

Yes it is expensive, but a great site for out of towners. Also a great gift idea!

Okay, I am done on here for the night. Going to bed hungry..... oh well. lol

I do like that Cincinnati chili. First time I encountered it was - where else? St. Louis. :bang

But once I got over the fact that it was obviously a very stoned person who decided spaghetti, canned chili, and shredded cheese was a match made in heaven, it turns out I really like it.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 04:46 AM)
I do like that Cincinnati chili.  First time I encountered it was - where else?  St. Louis.  :bang

But once I got over the fact that it was obviously a very stoned person who decided spaghetti, canned chili, and shredded cheese was a match made in heaven, it turns out I really like it.

I eat it without the spaghetti.... just a straight bowl of chili with a mound of finely shredded mild cheddar cheese and some oyster crackers does it for me. They carry it in a grocery store two minues from my house down here, so I get my fill on occasion. Before, a buddy and I used to order it by the case and have it shipped down here at least once a year.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 12:46 AM)

Yup, Steak and Shake makes it like that.

I never cared for it, myself.

its the pizza, you dont hear people in other states saying you have to try the chicago beef or hot dog, you hear pizza, once in a while you see signs saying chicago hot dogs, to me a hot dog is a hot dog, but the pizza just tastes different and has that city taste to it like no other taste