Beef, Dogs, or Pizza?

Kid Gleason

Which one is the most "Chicago"?  

59 members have voted

1. 1. Which one is the most "Chicago"?

• Italian Beefs (from wherever)
    • Hot Dog (Chicago Style)
    • Pizza

QUOTE(Wong & Owens @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 08:43 AM)
I made a stop at the Maine Lobster Festival in Rockland last summer, and I'm with you.  It's not all that great, IMHO.

I'm the same way, but I'm not a shelled fish type of person. I love seafood, but when it comes to lobster, crab, and shrimp or for that part anything shelled it just isn't something I enjoy. But swordfish, halibut, ahi tuna, salmon, chilean sea bass...now were talking :D

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've had pizza in S America, Europe, C America, the SW USA, the SE USA, WI, MI, OH, IN, IA, & none of them compare to the local guys.

A good analogy is that there's Wendy's style hamburgers & then there's everything else. Real Chicago style pizza is wet. Wet with greasy sauce made from LOTs of fresh tomatoes. You become nostalgic for it when you travel & taste other versions.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 02:21 PM)
I'm the same way, but I'm not a shelled fish type of person.  I love seafood, but when it comes to lobster, crab, and shrimp or for that part anything shelled it just isn't something I enjoy.  But swordfish, halibut, ahi tuna, salmon, chilean sea bass...now were talking  :D

I'm the EnviroCop, coming to bust yer ass.

Do NOT eat swordfish or Chilean sea bass ever again. I'm surprised the Cali Earthcookie fish huggers (my peeps) haven't caught up with you yet.

Eat farmed salmon if possible (and even that has its own environmental issues), and enjoy your ahi as long as it is yellowfin and not bluefin.

As you were. :)

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)

Do NOT eat swordfish or Chilean sea bass ever again.  I'm surprised the Cali Earthcookie fish huggers (my peeps) haven't caught up with you yet.

Eat farmed salmon if possible (and even that has its own environmental issues), and enjoy your ahi as long as it is yellowfin and not bluefin.

As you were.  :)

Why don't they stop them from catching them...?

Salmon.. ick. Too salty.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:59 PM)
Strangely the only seafood I love is calamari

i'm not a big seafood guy either.

i do like shrimp, either cocktail or popcorn, and calamari, but that's it.

Also, calamari doesn't taste anything like seafood, you could mistake it for an onion blossom or whatever.

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:53 PM)
Why don't they stop them from catching them...?

There's the rub. There can be clear evidence that a fishery is in decline or even on the verge of localized extinction, and teh fisheries managers can know that, but the politics of commercial fishing often keep them from being able to do anything about it.

On a global scale it is that much worse, with rogue nations fishing in disputed waters, and with some of the worst offenders using the threat of WTO sanctions as a way to keep us from barring their products from import to the states.

Lots of headaches. And of course, very often after years of fisheries scientists saying there are problems and restrictions need to be tightened and fishing fleets ignoring them, when the fishery finally does collapse the fishermen always cry and say the managers should have done more to protect the stocks. :angry: :angry:

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 04:43 PM)

Do NOT eat swordfish or Chilean sea bass ever again.  I'm surprised the Cali Earthcookie fish huggers (my peeps) haven't caught up with you yet.

As you were.  :)

We have a battle here about farm raised shrimp and their impact on the environment, but so far the environment in question seems to be all economic and taste bud orientated.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 07:19 PM)
We have a battle here about farm raised shrimp and their impact on the environment, but so far the environment in question seems to be all economic and taste bud orientated.

I know a good deal of the Galvaston Bay Panaeus vannaemi (Pacific white shrimp) story, and several of the farmers and scientists who have been involved. There definitely is a cause for concern growing a non-native species in coastal ponds, because there is 100% certainty of escape. As with the South Carolina white shrimp ops though, although escapee shrimp have been seen in the whiled, no evidence of a reproductive populatin establishing itself ever was found to my knowledge.

Nutrient waste pollution inputs to natural receiving waters are also a concern in any aquacultuer operation.

Viral epidemics, bad farm management, etc., have all played a part in really hobbling the Texas industry. And honestly, if I had my way, they'd abandon coastal ponds altogether and go with intensive recirculating (closed) systems, which would greatly lessen problems with both escapes and pollution. That is how we grow Pacific whites at my institution, btw.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 07:46 PM)
I know a good deal of the Galvaston Bay Panaeus vannaemi (Pacific white shrimp) story, and several of the farmers and scientists who have been involved.  There definitely is a cause for concern growing a non-native species in coastal ponds, because there is 100% certainty of escape.  As with the South Carolina white shrimp ops though, although escapee shrimp have been seen in the whiled, no evidence of a reproductive populatin establishing itself ever was found to my knowledge.

Nutrient waste pollution inputs to natural receiving waters are also a concern in any aquacultuer operation.

Viral epidemics, bad farm management, etc., have all played a part in really hobbling the Texas industry.  And honestly, if I had my way, they'd abandon coastal ponds altogether and go with intensive recirculating (closed) systems, which would greatly lessen problems with both escapes and pollution. That is how we grow Pacific whites at my institution, btw.

Actually I hear more about the ponds adjacent to the Arroyo Colorado running near South Padre Island. Much further south. But the same concerns.

And props for the latin lesson :lol:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 07:48 PM)
And props for the latin lesson  :lol:

Yeah, we biologists like our jargon. :D

Is the southern industry focused on the Pacific white shrimp as well? One of the viruses that wiped out most of Galvaston in the 80s was called Tora virus, and it came from the Tora River in Mexico. Likely, however it did not come up from Mexico. Rather, it probably infected brrod stocks in a Hawaiin operation and the postlarvae sent for growout to Texas were sent infected.

QUOTE(daa84 @ Aug 24, 2005 -> 01:44 AM)
i would think its most known for pizza. when i tell people im from chicago they comment about the pizza alot. my friends all say they want to go to chicago and get good chicago pizza, but they have no idea about the beef. they do know about hot dogs, but less so than pizza. so pizza > dogs >>> beef

that said, im in nashville, and i cant find a damn beef stand or anything anywhere. any beef that is sold is cheesesteaks, which dont even come close to comparing to a good italian beef. the beef is teh one thing, even more than pizza, that i really get a craving for.......what a catch by dye...........it may be because i am italian and always eat beef at home, but i think its cuz there are all sorts of pizza i can still eat, but there are 0 beef sandwiches sold around here

Portillo's will ship you beef anywhere in the country.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 02:26 AM)
!!!***  :o

Do you mean you've never had Homarus (Maine) lobster, or and lobster in general? Down in the Disneyland of seafood?!?  In NSW I know I had at least two different kinds of slipper lobsters and a blue-clawed Pacific lobster as well as some big-ass yabbi shrimp that could have passed for lobster.

Anyways, don't pay Kid no atttention.  A perfectly cooked (not overdone and rubbery) Maine lobstah' is heavenly.  It is kind of buttery tasting because of the sweeteness and high fat content of the meat, but a side of drawn butter and a lemon wedge is standard.

I know it's really quite crazy, but I suppose we just have fish (especially salmon my personal favorite), prawns (which are absolutely beautiful) etc. a lot more, but I definitely want to go try it next time we venture out to a seafood restaraunt.

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 07:59 AM)
Strangely the only seafood I love is calamari

You can get real good calamari or real bad ones. Personally, I think it's gotta to be nice and stringy, and not really hard to chew, and crumbed real nice.

Jim, I'll have you know that two days ago for an interview I had I got taken out to this seafood place and didn't order the Chilean Sea Bass for that reason. My mom drills me with that type of stuff if I go out to dinner with her so now Its starting to take effect when I'm not with her.

I had halibut, I'm assuming thats an alright fish to still eat (aside from the mercuy I'm sure I'm ingesting)???

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 07:42 AM)
You can get real good calamari or real bad ones. Personally, I think it's gotta to be nice and stringy, and not really hard to chew, and crumbed real nice.

Ewww...I can't get past the looks of the stringy ones. I know everyone says they are better, but I like the round pieces that don't look as much like squid :lol:

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 12:05 PM)
Ewww...I can't get past the looks of the stringy ones.  I know everyone says they are better, but I like the round pieces that don't look as much like squid :lol:

^^^

The squid ones are just ick. The little ring ones are awesome.

QUOTE(Chisoxfn @ Aug 27, 2005 -> 12:03 PM)
Jim, I'll have you know that two days ago for an interview I had I got taken out to this seafood place and didn't order the Chilean Sea Bass for that reason.  My mom drills me with that type of stuff if I go out to dinner with her so now Its starting to take effect when I'm not with her. 

I had halibut, I'm assuming thats an alright fish to still eat (aside from the mercuy I'm sure I'm ingesting)???

Halibut can stay on the menu. :cheers