1. 1. Which one is the most "Chicago"?

• Italian Beefs (from wherever)
    • Hot Dog (Chicago Style)
    • Pizza

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 03:14 PM)
I've never understood the appeal of those nasty little things. People seem to just live and die for them, but they never did anything for me. I am about to give them another whirl though. The final attempt to find the "charm".

Not me, I love 'em. But they don't make the Chicago-specific list even though they're a Chicago mainstay. The first White Castle was opened in Witchita, Kansas.

white_castle_lg.jpg

Edited by FlaSoxxJim

QUOTE(Middle Buffalo @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 02:17 PM)
Pizza, hot dogs, beef.  Who cares?  I'd commit Harry Caray for a White Castle's slider.

I found the Mexican equivalent that is also great after a number of beers. Tacos Nortenos. Basically they sit on greasy corn tortillas, add bistek (chopped steak), cilantro, and onions. Some places add white cheese. Grease, beef, onions. Same as a slider. The corn tortillas are small, usually 2 bites if drinking, 3 if not.

Added bonus, my favorite place also has a liquor license. :cheers

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 04:05 PM)
I found the Mexican equivalent that is also great after a number of beers. Tacos Nortenos. Basically they sit on greasy corn tortillas, add bistek (chopped steak), cilantro, and onions. Some places add white cheese. Grease, beef, onions. Same as a slider. The corn tortillas are small, usually 2 bites if drinking, 3 if not.

Added bonus, my favorite place also has a liquor license.  :cheers

I love that crumbly white Mexican cheese (queso fresca?). I can sit and eat a pound of it and think nothing of it.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 05:28 PM)
I love that crumbly white Mexican cheese (queso fresca?).  I can sit and eat a pound of it and think nothing of it.

Nothing beats the little tortillas with cut steak and s***loads of queso fresco and lettuce on it.....

QUOTE(WHarris1 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 08:13 AM)
:(

Gotta love how I couldn't think of that after vacationing in Maine once every summer of my entire life.

So what is lobster really like from someone who's never had it before?

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 10:08 AM)

From what everybody says (as I have never had it), it tastes like butter. That's because you soak it in butter, and it tastes just like the butter only. Which makes me wonder why not just butter up some bread and call it a meal. :huh

QUOTE(DBAH0 @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:08 AM)

!!!*** :o

Do you mean you've never had Homarus (Maine) lobster, or and lobster in general? Down in the Disneyland of seafood?!? In NSW I know I had at least two different kinds of slipper lobsters and a blue-clawed Pacific lobster as well as some big-ass yabbi shrimp that could have passed for lobster.

Anyways, don't pay Kid no atttention. A perfectly cooked (not overdone and rubbery) Maine lobstah' is heavenly. It is kind of buttery tasting because of the sweeteness and high fat content of the meat, but a side of drawn butter and a lemon wedge is standard.

Hey, I'm just going by what I have been told. I said, I've never had the cockroach of the sea in any way shape or form, and I fully plan to go to my grave having never had it. I have a strange hatred for anything that lives in the water, as far as meals go. It may be part of the reason I love HP Lovecraft.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:31 AM)
Hey, I'm just going by what I have been told. I said, I've never had the cockroach of the sea in any way shape or form, and I fully plan to go to my grave having never had it. I have a strange hatred for anything that lives in the water, as far as meals go. It may be part of the reason I love HP Lovecraft.

Aha! I think we've uncovered the root of both the aversion to seafood AND the love of Big Monster flicks...

it-came-from-beneath-sea.jpg

QUOTE(Queen Prawn @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:42 AM)
I had lobster once on my way back from Ensenada, Mexico.  Couldn't get into the taste.  I can't imagine myself ordering lobster again.

I made a stop at the Maine Lobster Festival in Rockland last summer, and I'm with you. It's not all that great, IMHO.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 10:41 AM)
Aha!  I think we've uncovered the root of both the aversion to seafood AND the love of Big Monster flicks...

it-came-from-beneath-sea.jpg

Yeah, tales of terror from the sea REALLY creep me out. I also enjoy William Hope Hodgson for these reasons.

p.s. might also explain my crazy love for that guy in my avatar. :D

Edited by Kid Gleason

Something along those lines is why I cannot stand to be near anykind of vine plant. I watched "Invasion of the Body Snatchers" when I was about 10 and our next door neighbors grew chinese winter melons (I think that is what it was called). You could chop one of the vines down and I swear within about 5 minutes that bastard vine was twice as long as before it was chopped.

Brian thinks it is freaking hilarious to drag me out to the woods behind our house and try to drag me into the area where there is a viney ground cover.

QUOTE(Kid Gleason @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 12:04 PM)
Actually, aside from the Gill Man battles as to who was the REAL Gill Man, Ricou does seem great, and is great in interviews. So sure, I am a Browning fan.

Show off.   :P

Ach, he was sort of a childhood hero of mine, actually. When I found out the guy who directed Flipper (loved that show as a kid, go figure) had ALSO starred as the badazz from the Black Lagoon he was immediately elevated to hero status.

[/The Geek Walks Among Us in 3-D]

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 26, 2005 -> 11:11 AM)
Ach, he was sort of a childhood hero of mine, actually.  When I found out the guy who directed  Flipper (loved that show as a kid, go figure) had ALSO starred as the badazz from the Black Lagoon he was immediately elevated to hero status.

[/The Geek Walks Among Us in 3-D]

Was your stalking him part of the reason for your move to Florida?

QUOTE(Texsox @ Aug 25, 2005 -> 01:05 PM)

Added bonus, my favorite place also has a liquor license.  :cheers

Carne Asada Fries....the ultimate in fat and taste :cheers