Griffey Jr.: 'I'm not going' to the White Sox

greasywheels121

QUOTE(Jeckle2000 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:41 PM)
Well if your not willing to give up what the Reds were quoted themselves as asking for him, then this talk is all moot because he wouldn't be coming anyway...

By the way i'm not advocating trading Mark Buherle for KGJ, I was just making a point...

You can't expect to get someone like that for some prospects that might never see day light... If you want a real talent you have to give up real talent...

That last line is right, in the world called No Contracts. If JR says, it's okay Kenny, pick up all of Player X's contract, let's say, oh I don't know, $41.5 million over four years with a $4.5 mil buyout option for the 4th, and give them some lower level prospects, that might do it. Because their season is over and like someone said, they can use that money to get some pitching in the offseason.

I'm also not saying it's going to happen, but with contracts and how much each is going to pay, that could raise or lower the level of players going to a team.

What Kenny should be doing is selling the Lee for Pods and Viz trade. Gave away a big hitter, but got 5 in return by saving money.

• Replies 191
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(TheDybber @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:00 PM)
That last line is right, in the world called No Contracts.  If JR says, it's okay Kenny, pick up all of Player X's contract, let's say, oh I don't know, $41.5 million over four years with a $4.5 mil buyout option for the 4th, and give them some lower level prospects, that might do it.  Because their season is over and like someone said, they can use that money to get some pitching in the offseason. 

I'm also not saying it's going to happen, but with contracts and how much each is going to pay, that could raise or lower the level of players going to a team. 

What Kenny should be doing is selling the Lee for Pods and Viz trade.  Gave away a big hitter, but got 5 in return by saving money.

wrong. i dont know where people get this idea, but we have no, NO money problems

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 02:28 PM)
The financial flexibility alone could net the Reds AJB in the offseason which would give them potential top of the line starter to put in their crappy rotation.

why the hell would burnett come to the reds

Edited by RDriesen

QUOTE(RDriesen @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 03:03 PM)
wrong.  i dont know where people get this idea, but we have no, NO money problems

There are money problems, whether you want to believe it or not, I have lived in cincy for most of the last 7 years, and I know the team's attitude, as well as the fans. They thought that the new stadium was going to help the team gross a little more cash and bring some fans back, but the team doesnt draw like it should. Hence the sale of the team, and the desire to keep a large draw on the roster.

There are money problems, whether you want to believe it or not, I have lived in cincy for most of the last 7 years, and I know the team's attitude, as well as the fans.  They thought that the new stadium was going to help the team gross a little more cash and bring some fans back, but the team doesnt draw like it should.  Hence the sale of the team, and the desire to keep a large draw on the roster.

The last article in the Southtown on this believed that the Reds were willing to pick up 1/3rd of the contract. It essentially stated the White Sox are fools for not doing what needs to be done. If the NYY$ had better pitching this year they would have jumped at the chance to claim him off waivers.

If you believe the article then it's never been about talent & always about the money.

The White Sox are not willing to pick up the $23M owed by 2009. They would leave the Reds on the hook for only the deferred $. All of the articles I've read even before the deadline suggest the Reds would be fine with that. The rumor in July had the Reds picking up $15M of what's owed by 2009. Maybe the White Sox have lowered their demands down to $10M but that was never enough for the Reds. They are looking for flexibility in payroll while they have Kearns, Pena, & Dunn. Getting someone to pick up everything but the deferred $ is how to do that.

QUOTE(JUGGERNAUT @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 04:02 PM)
The last article in the Southtown on this believed that the Reds were willing to pick up 1/3rd of the contract. It essentially stated the White Sox are fools for not doing what needs to be done.  If the NYY$ had better pitching this year they would have jumped at the chance to claim him off waivers.   

If you believe the article then it's never been about talent & always about the money.

The White Sox are not willing to pick up the $23M owed by 2009. They would leave the Reds on the hook for only the deferred $.  All of the articles I've read even before the deadline suggest the Reds would be fine with that.  The rumor in July had the Reds picking up $15M of what's owed by 2009.  Maybe the  White Sox have lowered their demands down to $10M but that was never enough for the Reds.  They are looking for flexibility in payroll while they have Kearns, Pena, & Dunn.  Getting someone to pick up everything but the deferred $ is how to do that.

I've read everything I could find on this, inclusing the Southtown's site, and have not seen anything that says this. Got a link?

QUOTE(YASNY @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 01:30 AM)
I've read everything I could find on this, inclusing the Southtown's site, and have not seen anything that says this.  Got a link?

http://www.dailysouthtown.com/southtown/co...ki/x30-lad1.htm

from the article...

Industry sources say that, given his recent medical history, Griffey is worth $8 million to $10 million in the current market. If the Reds pick up at least one-third of his salary, which they apparently are prepared to do, his contract would hardly be excessive. Besides, if Griffey were to lead the Sox to the ALCS or beyond, the expected increase in season-ticket sales would help pay his way

There are money problems, whether you want to believe it or not, I have lived in cincy for most of the last 7 years, and I know the team's attitude, as well as the fans.  They thought that the new stadium was going to help the team gross a little more cash and bring some fans back, but the team doesnt draw like it should.  Hence the sale of the team, and the desire to keep a large draw on the roster.

Is Oxford in Cincinnati, Rock? :P

nice, but yeah, pretty damn close.  Plus I lived in Mt Adams, which is IN the city :P

That is a lifelong goal of mine, to live a few weeks in Mt. Adams. LOVE Mt. Adams, let me see if I remember all the good spots:

Mt. Adams Bar and Grill, Blind Lemon (with that cool fireplace outside), Longworth Pavillion (scenery, oh my), Rookwood Pottery, and my personal fave on Oregon Street, City View Tavern for those great cheeseburgers.

Another great place not far from there, down the hill into downtown Cincy ... Arnolds Bar and Grill, on 8th St. Oldest bar in Cincinnati, since 1861, great food too.

QUOTE(JimH @ Aug 31, 2005 -> 10:33 AM)
That is a lifelong goal of mine, to live a few weeks in Mt. Adams.  LOVE Mt. Adams, let me see if I remember all the good spots:

Mt. Adams Bar and Grill, Blind Lemon (with that cool fireplace outside), Longworth Pavillion (scenery, oh my), Rookwood Pottery, and my personal fave on Oregon Street, City View Tavern for those great cheeseburgers.

Another great place not far from there, down the hill into downtown Cincy ... Arnolds Bar and Grill, on 8th St.  Oldest bar in Cincinnati, since 1861, great food too.

Decent recollection there Jim. Mt Adams bar and grill has possibly my favorite burger in all of cincy. The best part about living there, was that in the last few years Newport right across the river has become a pretty large hot spot, so you can go there for a change as well, and its a short drive. They have a hofbrauhaus there which is awesome.