Hurricane Katrina

Heads22

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(Steff @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:12 PM)
Uh.. thanks. Translation please..?  :ph34r:

Its a LOT of both. OPEC produced about 30 million barrels of oil a day, just for perspectives sake.

The markets are MUCH more worried about the lost natural gas production, as the NG markets stayed way higher than the rest of the energies did on the day.

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 02:14 PM)
Its a LOT of both. OPEC produced about 30 million barrels of oil a day, just for perspectives sake. 

The markets are MUCH more worried about the lost natural gas production, as the NG markets stayed way higher than the rest of the energies did on the day.

OK.. I'm way out of my league in this discussion. :bang

I got this from the CNN article on the story

"I'm not doing too good right now," Chris Robinson told the AP via cell phone from his home east of the city's downtown. "The water's rising pretty fast. I got a hammer and an ax and a crowbar, but I'm holding off on breaking through the roof until the last minute. Tell someone to come get me please. I want to live

I feel bad for the guy, but he put it on himself not evacuating the city when he had the chance.

I was just going to bed, but as I was, CNN is reporting there is a "2 block long" breach of the levee on Lake Pontchatrain in New Orleans, and that water is "rushing down Canal Street and rising at the rate of an inch per minute". As a result, Tulane University hospital may be forced to evacuate it's 1,000 or so patients.

QUOTE(WilliamTell @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 12:20 AM)
It'll be nowhere near a million deaths. I pray for the safety of everyone that's still in danger. On MSNBC they were reporting that they could hear cries for help but couldn't reach them, so hopefully those people are ok.

It was cleared up that it was homeless not deaths.

Saddest thing I have seen or heard in a long time. The reporter seems in tears also.

Click 'You can't hold me, take care of the kids'

A man in Biloxi told CNN affiliate WKRG-TV he believed his wife was killed after she was ripped from his grasp when their home split in half.

"I held her hand as tight as I could," the man said. "She told me, 'You can't hold me.' She told me to take care of the kids and the grandkids ... we ain't got nowhere to go. I'm lost. That's all I had."

QUOTE(southsider2k5 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 12:10 PM)
There is a 200 foot breach in the main levee holding back Lake Ponchitrain and water is pouring out of it.

http://www.wwltv.com/

Mayor Nagin (who I'm beginning to think is a pretty good leader, and will be the Rudy Guliani of the Katrina recovery effort) said today that some parts of the city are under 20 feet of water. Hopefully they can get the levee breaches closed without additional parts of the system failing or else the flooding is going to get even worse.