Buehrle thinks Rangers might be cheating

IlliniKrush

How many times did the mound at the cell get measured this year, after or before a game.

How many times have we heard the rumors of the twins turning on the super air conditioning.

Rumors are abound in baseball of cheating, however deciding to go public with this in game one of a series is probably not a good thing. Showalter hates Ozzie and will do everything in his power not only to beat us in this series, but to humiliate us also. This has just become bulletin board material.

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 03:12 PM)
Rumors are abound in baseball of cheating, however deciding to go public with this in game one of a series is probably not a good thing.  Showalter hates Ozzie and will do everything in his power not only to beat us in this series, but to humiliate us also.    This has just become bulletin board material.

It's almost like Buehrle was auditioning for Dusty Baker. We just need to go out and win games.....and worry about everything else later. Even Don Cooper has been talking about his October rotation lately. :gosox3:

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 10:06 AM)
If you feel like a team is cheating...you take advantage of this.  If we honestly thought they were stealing signs, then you switch the signs around and try to trick them into believing the wrong pitch was coming.  I remember in high school baseball when our coach would steal signs.  It was good to know what was coming.  However, if the other team switched their signs, and our coach relayed the wrong pitch....you were screwed.

Sure, the team should have a strategy to deal with sign stealing. It;s not like it is a new phenomenon in the game.

The thing that makes me doubt it actually was sign-stealing that got Mark into trouble (even if I'm not up in arms about his comments) is simply that it was Mark. As fast as he sets up and pitches, how realistic is is that someone with binoculars or a telescope behind CF is going to catch signs from AJ, get that relayed into a visible tipoff with some secret stadium light code, and have the guy at the plate see the light signal to be ready for the coming pitch? Not very, I'd suspect.

QUOTE(FlaSoxxJim @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 09:17 AM)
The thing that makes me doubt it actually was sign-stealing that got Mark into trouble (even if I'm not up in arms about his comments) is simply that it was Mark.  As fast as he sets up and pitches, how realistic is is that someone with binoculars or a telescope behind CF is going to catch signs from AJ, get that relayed into a visible tipoff with some secret stadium light code, and have the guy at the plate see the light signal to be ready for the coming pitch?  Not very, I'd suspect.

I suggested this before--believe it was a year ago--when this board discussed possible signals tipping hitters at USCF. There's just so little time between the pitcher receiving a call and throwing a pitch for a hitter to notice a light code. Even if it were possible, against Buehlre of all pitchers, wouldn't there have to be a noticeably bright light omitted from CF for the hitter to see it? Since moving their heads or darting their eyes would have been too obvious, it would have to be something you could see in the corner of your vision.

And what happens if a player from Texas is traded? Or becomes a FA for a rival AL West team and faces the Rangers 18/19 times a season? What's to stop this person from doing what Jose Guillen did and rat out the cheating methods of a former player/team? Too much to risk.

Not sure if they cheated or not, but Rooney and Farmer were talking about that yesterday at the start of the game as well. Farmer said...

"Last time we were here, I said I thought they steal signs and I still think they do"

Take it for what its worth...just saying someone else pointed out the same thing and this was before MB started gettin hit hard.

QUOTE(southsideirish71 @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 10:54 PM)
Tell me that they couldnt change the signs per inning, maybe change the indicator or the sequence. 

I dont mind that Buerhle spoke his mind, but AJ and our coaching staff should be able to adapt to sign stealing.

And who are we to talk about stealing signs.  We for many a year employed one of the best sign stealers in baseball as a bench coach. 

Lets get real.

ditto ditto ditto :cheers

It sounded like Mark was talking in a more joking/sarcastic manner. He was saying that it could happen and if it does then it won't happen again, but if it's not then he know that the rangers are a good hitting team. Good luck next game.

Edited by wsox08

QUOTE(wsox08 @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 06:51 PM)
It sounded like Mark was talking in a more joking/sarcastic manner. He was saying that it could happen and if it does then it won't happen again, but if it's not then he know that the rangers are a good hitting team. Good luck next game.

I think Buehrle was being very serious when he said this.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 29, 2005 -> 09:33 PM)
If we're cheating at the Cell...we need to stop!  Obviously, the players don't know which light is which!

no we don't. There is nothing wrong with cheating (or gaining any kind of advantage) if it leads to a W.

QUOTE(fathom @ Aug 30, 2005 -> 01:08 PM)
I think Buehrle was being very serious when he said this.

Well he could have been or he could have said it because it's Mark Buehrle and he is funny/weird and it could be true.. :P