Marte--To be suspended or put on DL

joeynach

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 04:57 PM)
Another option is Paulino Reynoso on the 40 man but I think they'll just go with what they have.  Reynoso has been more inconsistent than Marte.

Theres no many options to make any roster moves. It seems to me Ozzie needs to solidify the situations that he uses to bring in arms.

Jenks in the 8th

Cotts vs LH

Polite vs RH

Hermy closer

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:01 PM)
Why does everyone want Cotts to be a situational lefty?  He should clearly be a one inning guy who can go anywhere from the 6th to the 8th inning.  Ozzie will also use Politte in the 8th inning frequently instead of Jenks, as he probably feels like Politte deserves the set-up role.

I personally was saying for example. The good thing about our staff, which nobody usually factors into the quality of it. Is that none of our pitchers seem to be situational guys. You think guys like Mike Myers etc who are side arm or sb pitchers, and can just come in for one batter, get out a lefty, and that is all they can do. Cotts is just as effective vs righties, Jenks can pitch to both, as well as polite. We have at least three guys who can pitch is any situation, long, short, situational and closing roles. Thats why Marte being gone doesnt make me think we are weaker. I felt for along time that he was the weak link in the pen. I think we will see that I was right. Lets just see how Ozzie reacts, and how our players react.

I don't think he wants to pigeon hole guys into defined bullpen roles. Part of the reason is Hermanson's back. When he can't pitch, other dominos fall. It changes Jenks' role, which can change Politte's role, etc.

It's as simple as this ... someone has to step up. Paging Cotts, Vizcaino, Bajenaru, and gulp, even David Sanders.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 10:08 PM)
I personally was saying for example.  The good thing about our staff, which nobody usually factors into the quality of it.  Is that none of our pitchers seem to be situational guys.  You think guys like Mike Myers etc who are side arm or sb pitchers, and can just come in for one batter, get out a lefty, and that is all they can do.  Cotts is just as effective vs righties, Jenks can pitch to both, as well as polite.  We have at least three guys who can pitch is any situation, long, short, situational and closing roles.  Thats why Marte being gone doesnt make me think we are weaker.  I felt for along time that he was the weak link in the pen.  I think we will see that I was right.  Lets just see how Ozzie reacts, and how our players react.

Well said. Ozzie just needs to play this as a 3 week season, and he needs to try and win every game possible with the best players on the field in the biggest spots. If we lose, I want it to be cause Cotts, Politte, Jenks, or Hermanson got beat, and not cause Ozzie was trying to see if David Sanders could get a big lefty out in the 7th, etc.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)

This is now crazy. As a manager, I'd be thinking this erratic behavior could be brought on my a drug or alcohol problem. Not speculating exactly with Marte.

there's gotta be a hella lot more to this story than we know.

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:14 PM)

This is now crazy. As a manager, I'd be thinking this erratic behavior could be brought on my a drug or alcohol problem. Not speculating exactly with Marte.

Good call; there's an easy 2 points. :D

QUOTE(alexgtp @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:15 PM)
dayuuumm you mods are too quick..thanks for moving it..

:cheers

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:17 PM)
Good lord, the full organizational collapse that I've been fearful of taking place has another stone thrown in its pit.  Bash me if you want, but too much s*** has broken loose with this team in the last month or so.

In complete sentences, explain how this Marte thing equals a FULL organizational collapse. Don't forget to check for spelling and grammatical errors before submitting your final copy.

QUOTE(greasywheels121 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 10:20 PM)
In complete sentences, explain how this Marte thing equals a FULL organizational collapse.  Don't forget to check for spelling and grammatical errors before submitting your final copy.

Like I said, just another thing that has taken place which leads me to believe something has gone awfully wrong with this organization in the last few months.

In the last 50 days or so, we've had:

- a pitcher complain that the other team was cheating when they hit him hard.

- a player called up from the minors b**** about his playing time all season.

- a player complain that he's getting too much rest and doesn't like hitting in the spot he's hit all season.

- a manager continue to make peculiar in-game managing decision on a nightly basis.

- a general manager that failed to pick-up some type of offensive spark for the team.

- a starting pitching staff, that besides Contreras and McCarthy, have been horribly inconsistent.

- numerous 4-40, etc. slumps from our hitters.

- Losing about 10 games in the divisional lead

- The Marte debacle of the last week. See ya trade value

- The continuing decline of Duque, and Ozzie's idiotic piggybacking idea.

Besides that....GO WHITE SOX! Please make me look like an idiot, and just win games and make the playoffs.

Don't know if this has been reported, but Offman on the score said Marte's gone for the year.

My guess is it's a situation like Jose Guillen on the Angels last yr rather than an injury. If he's a problem, Ozzie would rather lose without him than win with him. My guess is the players would be of the same mindset