Marte--To be suspended or put on DL

joeynach

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 10:32 PM)
Oz gets ripped on ALOT(some fair, some not) however, for as much as Ozzie used Marte, there is no way he would put him on the DL or suspend him for the rest of the year in a playoff race for showing up late.

I just can't be sure of that. Ozzie keeps reminding everyone that he's in charge, this could be deja vu all over again.

• Replies 136
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In the last 50 days or so, we've had:

- a pitcher complain that the other team was cheating when they hit him hard.

- a player called up from the minors b**** about his playing time all season.

- a player complain that he's getting too much rest and doesn't like hitting in the spot he's hit all season.

- a manager continue to make peculiar in-game managing decision on a nightly basis.

- a general manager that failed to pick-up some type of offensive spark for the team.

- a starting pitching staff, that besides Contreras and McCarthy, have been horribly inconsistent.

- numerous 4-40, etc. slumps from our hitters.

- Losing about 10 games in the divisional lead

- The Marte debacle of the last week.  See ya trade value

- The continuing decline of Duque, and Ozzie's idiotic piggybacking idea.

Besides that....GO WHITE SOX!  Please make me look like an idiot, and just win games and make the playoffs.

I think you have drifted out into left field once again. :bang

Items #1,2,3 are no different than just about any other team in major league baseball.

Item #4 is your opinion, but you know what, I will take the 6 game lead on Sept. 13th.

Item #5 is true, I don't think it was for lack of trying. See: other contenders.

Items #6, 7: A problem not unique to the White Sox. See: other contenders

for both, also see 20 other teams with the exact same issues.

Item #8: A huge lead like that was unexpected in the first place. Even the

Cardinals lost some games off their lead. It happens. It's unfortunate

but it happens.

Item #9: None of us know the story. It sounds to me like the guy has a personal

problem. I could be wrong but I could be dead on right too. IF that

is the case I fail to see how the White Sox can be the whipping boy.

Item #10: This situation is still playing out. They said they're discussing what

to do, to my knowledge they haven't definitively named a starter for

Saturday's game.

I think what's gone awfully wrong, to use your phrase, is the common ups and downs of a long grinding baseball season. Even Cleveland, the team you've been gushing over for the last 2 weeks, had a horrible stretch this year.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 04:32 PM)
Oz gets ripped on ALOT(some fair, some not) however, for as much as Ozzie used Marte, there is no way he would put him on the DL or suspend him for the rest of the year in a playoff race for showing up late.

There is ALOT more to this story that we just dont know, simple as that.

And if there is a lot more why was Ozzie using him in crucial situations last week instead of Cotts? Ozzie stated last week Marte was their top left hander in the bullpen. I don't know what happened, but if all he did was show up late and/or failed to disclose an injury, making Sanders your #2 lefty out of the bullpen is a silly price to pay. Marte is a pretty quiet guy. I doubt he has many enemies on the team. I think giving him a couple of weeks to get healthy may be smart. Just to throw him a way, to me, is Ozzie and KW's ego working into overdrive.

Number one, I'm very much happy to see Marte gone. God did I dispise him. With Jenks now looking f***ing awesome, Marte's more than expendable. In no way did I have the slightest bit of confidence in him. Apparently Ozzie/KW don't have any either. This may weaken our team overall, but if our chances in the playoffs come down to our 5th reliever, I believe we're f***ed anyway. BMac-Jenks-Cotts-Politte-Hermanson is more than enough...Good riddance Damaso.

QUOTE(AddisonStSox @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 04:56 PM)
GuillenOzzie.jpg

"Choo know, eets all about chemistry.  I would do n-e-thing for mi guyz.  That is, unless they name is Ross Gload, Damaso Marte, Carlos Lee, Magglio Ordonez..."

That's right. Hawk always gives Ozzie a lot of the credit for Garland's success. I think if you give him that credit, you have to say he has absolutely ruined Marte. Marte was one of the most dominating relief pitchers in baseball before Ozzie took over. He seems to be very quiet. Sometimes loudmouths like Ozzie make guys with Marte's type of personality very uncomfortable.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:00 PM)
That's right. Hawk always gives Ozzie a lot of the credit for Garland's success. I think if you give him that credit, you have to say he has absolutely ruined Marte. Marte was one of the most dominating relief pitchers in baseball before Ozzie took over. He seems to be very quiet. Sometimes loudmouths like Ozzie make guys with Marte's type of personality very uncomfortable.

How far-fetched would the following situation be:

Marte f's up on the mound. Again. Ozzie confronts him about it, whether it be in a public or private setting, Marte either a) takes offense or b ) feels even more pressured...then, may snap at Ozzie the next time it is brought up, gets an early hook, etc.

I know I'm just conjecturing here, but there may be a bit more to the "Ozzie Montana" persona than we think.

If you're one of his guys, you're in.

If you're not, you're in Milwaukee. (contracts aside, blah, blah, blah)

Like many have already said, there's more to this than meets the eye. Don't overlook Damaso's last few outings where he's come in to either plunk or walk batters. Cooper was yelling at him on the mound one night.

No matter what's happening behind the scenes, this is not the vibe you want coming down the stretch. Just ask the Angels.

From Reifert's blog:

Marte

I didn't write about the Damaso Marte issue postgame Sunday because Ozzie's comments in the newspaper were pretty direct (imagine that).  Damaso has been bothered for a while by a stiff neck/upper back.  One of the understandings in our clubhouse is that injured players should come in early to see trainer Herm Schnedier for evaluation/treatment.  Each day, Herm sends along an injury report to Ozzie, KW, etc. telling him who isn't available that day and why.  By coming in just before stretching, Marte did not give Herm a chance to evaluate him and left Ozzie without knowing his status.  Now, the assumption certainly was that he would not be used that day (since he did have soreness), but the point was one of principle for Ozzie and he sent Damaso home.  The same thing did happen with Magglio once last year.  Damaso's medical situation still needs to be resolved

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 11:00 PM)

Saying Ozzie "ruined" Marte is pretty farfetched. Marte didn't throw the ball like he did in the past, for whatever reason. A pitching coach has far more chances to "ruin" a pitcher. Ozzie, like the rest of us, just care about the results. And the results haven't been there. Instead of attacking hitters, he looks like he's going around them. But to blame that on Ozzie?! Doesn't make sense to me.

But one thing is for sure, there's more to the story behind the scenes.

USA Today

CLEVELAND — Indians reliever Arthur Rhodes has left the club because of a family illness and will miss the rest of Cleveland's season...
Since August he's been on and off the bereavement and dissabled lists but now has decided to put a cork in it. So the Sox' closest competetor has also lost a key bullpen arm.

QUOTE(beck72 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:11 PM)
Saying Ozzie "ruined" Marte is pretty farfetched. Marte didn't throw the ball like he did in the past, for whatever reason. A pitching coach has far more chances to "ruin" a pitcher. Ozzie, like the rest of us, just care about the results. And the results haven't been there. Instead of attacking hitters, he looks like he's going around them. But to blame that on Ozzie?! Doesn't make sense to me.

But one thing is for sure, there's more to the story behind the scenes.

I'm not necessarily blaming Ozzie. But if you give him the credit for Garland, I think it would only be fair to give him some of the blame for Marte. The only issue I have with Ozzie's use of Marte is he really seemed to overwork him. When he came back from the DL against Cleveland I believe, Ozzie had him in the game or warming up for six or seven games in a row. Give the guy a break, he is coming back from a sore arm. And if Ozzie just cared about the results, how come he was using Marte before Cotts up until he basically kicked Marte off the team? Cotts has been far more effective. As far as what goes on between the two of them off the field, I have no idea. It just doesn't seem like Marte could have done something that would warrant a suspension for the rest of the season.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 11:18 PM)
We all know this is not a good time for this to all be happening, we can all agree on that.

However, we all know much Oz and Kenny gush over team chemistry and such. Why would they let something like this happen if it wasnt a big deal? I refuse to beleive Ozzies ego made this decision, sorry.

I agree. Sciosca showed last yr w/ Jose Guillen that he wouldn't let stats decide who would play for him in the playoffs. Ozzie may be sticking to principle on this one. If true, and Marte crossed some lines that we don't know about [not just hiding an injury], chances are he'd have most of the players support.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:25 PM)
Dick, this is my point.........

If Ozzie was using Marte so much these last few months, then obviously he feels/felt that he was a valuable piece to this team. That begs the question, why would Ozzie kick him off the team for something stupid like showing up late? Im not a big fan of Ozzie at all, however in this case, I think Martes shy guy attitude needs to be looked at closer.....

Personally, I think Marte is hurt.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 11:20 PM)
I'm not necessarily blaming Ozzie. But if you give him the credit for Garland, I think it would only be fair to give him some of the blame for Marte. The only issue I have with Ozzie's use of Marte is he really seemed to overwork him. When he came back from the DL against Cleveland I believe, Ozzie had him in the game or warming up for six or seven games in a row. Give the guy a break, he is coming back from a sore arm. And if Ozzie just cared about the results, how come he was using Marte before Cotts up until he basically kicked Marte off the team? Cotts has been far more effective. As far as what goes on between the two of them off the field, I have no idea. It just doesn't seem like Marte could have done something that would warrant a suspension for the rest of the season.

IMO, I don't think Ozzie is getting most of the credit for Garland's turnaround. Nor should he. I think its a combination of Jon maturing, mirroring Marks success and having AJ around being aggressive in calling games.

I don't think Ozzie has overworked Marte. Cliff and Neal, now.....that's a different story. though torre sure works the hell out of Sturtze, Gordon and Rivera. I think Neal and Cliff could have been getting some rest so they can be sharp for the playoffs.

I agree, what's been said publicly doesn't wash--Marte doesn't seem to deserve the "punishment". Marte must have done something very detrimental to the team for him to be banished for the yr, though

Its not just Marte's fault we suck ass right now, and might not make the playoffs.

You know, I heard the most stupid thing the other day when we were losing against Anaheim. Someone said, "hey, at least we're in the playoffs."

Well we're not there yet, and Marte is the least of our problems, to be quite honest with all of you.

I looked the other day at the whitesox.com's roster we had. Why the hell is Sanders up? He sucks, I remember him when he came up a few years ago...eh...god...can't blame Williams, after all, he did go to Stanford, so he "must" know what he's doing.

I never really see Politte being used, to be honest with all of you. I am aware he's not a lefty. Use Cotts as the lefty if Marte is inaffective.

Marte isn't going anywhere for right now, he's got 2.1 million on his contract for next year and I would believe once this bulls*** gets figured out, he'll be on the playoff roster.

Edited by Beastly

There is more to this than Damaso showing up late to one game. I can guarantee you that much. Of course there is the total extreme that the Sox aren't considering suspending him, but rather are just going to put him on the DL because he is actually hurt and that the media is just barking up the wrong tree.

However, if it is legit and they are thinking about suspending him and regardless shutting him down for the rest of the season than he's already thrown his last game in Chicago. I know they wanted to move him in the off-season anyway, but now everyone knows it. I doubt we'll ever truly know what exactly hapenned, but who knows, maybe someone in the media will dig it up.

QUOTE(Beastly @ Sep 13, 2005 -> 05:30 PM)
Its not just Marte's fault we suck ass right now, and might not make the playoffs.

You know, I heard the most stupid thing the other day when we were losing against Anaheim. Someone said, "hey, at least we're in the playoffs."

Well we're not there yet, and Marte is the least of our problems, to be quite honest with all of you.

I looked the other day at the whitesox.com's roster we had. Why the hell is Sanders up? He sucks, I remember him when he came up a few years ago...eh...god...can't blame Williams, after all, he did go to Stanford, so he "must" know what he's doing.

Marte isn't going anywhere for right now, he's got 2.1 million on his contract for next year and I would believe once this bulls*** gets figured out, he'll be on the playoff roster.

Woa. A Ross sighting.

This really is serious. :lol: :P Hey bud.