If we somehow miss the postseason

KipWellsFan

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

initial post that didn't make it:

I don't see how JR has any choices but to can Oz if this team happens to miss the playoffs. He did a hell of a job the 1st half as far as keeping the mood light, although we all saw that his in-game decisions were not what was winning those ballgames. Well, our slide against OAK drained some of the happy happy energy in the clubhouse which leaves Oz's main responsibility to manage the ball game. He's failed miserably and has lost his team. If they miss the playoffs, they will have blown a 15 game lead in less than 2 months, not to mention the games lost to the wildcard winner. If they miss the wildcard that, in my opinion, is what really spells doom for Oz. I can somewhat understand losing the lead to Cleveland who is just demolishing everyone they've faced in the last 2 months, but to lose a wildcard slot is unacceptable. Meanwhile, starters are being benched and our pitchers are visibly exhausted while a stud is left handling mop up duty for El Duque.

If JR doesn't can Oz or KW he'll never hear the end of it. Could be an interesting offseason if the s***house goes up in flames.

But, alas, we aren't going to have to worry about any of this because we'll cruise into the postseason as division champs.....hopefully.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:25 PM)
My question is,and something that might have to be looked into, did this team quit on Ozzie?

its become obvious that they have. They used to want to win, all the time. Try and scratching for wins. Now they are lazy, play bad defense, dont hustle on the basepaths and look downright terrible.

QUOTE(Tony82087 @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:25 PM)
My question is,and something that might have to be looked into, did this team quit on Ozzie?

I blame Ozzie for a lot, but I don't think that this team quit on him. I think we overachieved/got lucky so much early in the year, that we just tried to coast into the playoffs. As I've said thousands of times on here, this team isn't good enough to take the foot off of the accelerator, and expect to stay at a top pace. I've nitpicked so much this year, but it really boils down to this team either getting a pair and beating the Indians this year, or they won't be going to the playoffs. Either way, life goes on for all of us, and that was an epiphany I had after last night's game which really put things into perspective.

QUOTE(RockRaines @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 04:27 PM)
its become obvious that they have.  They used to want to win, all the time.  Try and scratching for wins.  Now they are lazy, play bad defense, dont hustle on the basepaths and look downright terrible.

That seem lke a pretty damn good assesment. It's just sad that Ozzie supposedly doesn't take that kind of s*** from his players and he isnt getting in the teams faces, I hope he is in the locker room. The only guy he's getting in their face with is Damaso but he should do it to the team as a whole. Not necesarily through the media but on the bench and in the club house.

Edited by Ozzie Montana

There would be no reason to fire Ozzie. Objectively speaking, this team has improved over last year's team. This team will win 90-something games (yet to be determined how many over 90). Hardly a bad season with regard to their record. All you can hope for is to improve every year. The playoffs often depend on what other teams are doing. Some years 80-something wins gets you into the playoffs while other years it might take well into 90-win territory. It's not Ozzie's fault that the starting pitchers have been sub-par down the stretch.

Ozzie should be gone if they miss the playoffs.

But,

It is entirely in the White Sox hands.

All they have to do is beat Cleveland and it does not matter how much they tanked.

These last few weeks will determine whether Ozzie is a manager that can get his team to the promised land, or just another manager who can catch lightning in a bottle, but when the going gets tough cant make the right decisions to bring wins.

Damn thats a long sentence.

SB

Edited by Soxbadger

I'll overreact for ya.

If we miss the post season, the future of the franchise is in trouble. You don't really believe THIS Sox team will repeat next year do you? You thought there couldn't be a bigger choke than the Cubs a few years ago? You think people don't come to the park now?....and we've been in 1st all year long!! You think we play second fiddle to the Cubs now? You think we get no love from the local, not to mention the national media now?

Stock up on booze and painkillers, it's gonna be a wild two and half weeks.

QUOTE(LosMediasBlancas @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:32 PM)
I'll overreact for ya.

If we miss the post season, the future of the franchise is in trouble. You don't really believe THIS Sox team will repeat next year do you?  You thought there couldn't be a bigger choke than the Cubs a few years ago? You think people don't come to the park now?....and we've been in 1st all year long!! You think we play second fiddle to the Cubs now? You think we get no love from the local, not to mention the national media now?

Stock up on booze and painkillers, it's gonna be a wild two and half weeks.

I agree with you 100%. If they don't make the playoffs, it will set this franchise back a few years.

QUOTE(infohawk @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:30 PM)
  It's not Ozzie's fault that the starting pitchers have been sub-par down the stretch.

It's not? These guys have thrown so many pitches all year because of Ozzie's long hook, who knows if they would have had more left in the tank for the stretch run. While Ozzie has gone out of his way to rest a lot of guys like Iguchi, he's been using his starting pitchers an awful lot in regards to number of pitches.

However, all the blame for this should not be on Ozzie. This is a full organizational collapse. BTW, we're 1-6 since the players b****ed about attendance.

If this team doesn't make the playoffs, say goodbye to PK, and I'll be shocked if we raised payroll at all. And I agree that this will have a negative impact on the franchise. We have a lot of bandwagon fans, and there's going to be a lot of pissed off jumpers. Our loyal fans are not enough to result in great attendance figures no matter how the team is playing.

How the hell can you blame Ozzie for Carl being a complete dips*** on the bases and taking us out of a possible few more runs. 3 OUTS ON THE BASES EARLY ON! I'm tellin ya...I don't give a s*** if Ozzie doesn't thing goin off would help....but it time...you've got nothing to lose.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:38 PM)
It's not?  These guys have thrown so many pitches all year because of Ozzie's long hook, who knows if they would have had more left in the tank for the stretch run.  While Ozzie has gone out of his way to rest a lot of guys like Iguchi, he's been using his starting pitchers an awful lot in regards to number of pitches.

However, all the blame for this should not be on Ozzie.  This is a full organizational collapse.  BTW, we're 1-6 since the players b****ed about attendance.

You're right. KW needs to get some blame here as well. This team has been average at best the last 2 1/2 months this season. He did nothing but bring in Geoff Blum to improve the talent base. Players moved and players were available who could have helped this team. KW listened too much to Ozzie and too much to others in the organization who preached the chemistry BS. For the love of God, the White Sox aren't going to get as many fortunate bounces and breaks as they got the first 3 months of the season, probably for a long time. They are going to have to raise the talent level of their team if they want to be anything but average in the coming seasons.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 03:41 PM)
If this team doesn't make the playoffs, say goodbye to PK, and I'll be shocked if we raised payroll at all.  And I agree that this will have a negative impact on the franchise.  We have a lot of bandwagon fans, and there's going to be a lot of pissed off jumpers.  Our loyal fans are not enough to result in great attendance figures no matter how the team is playing.

I think that's what this one dude started a thread with yesterday and implied this and I think kind of half-jokingly said they should move team cause attendence will plummet....only to get met with everybody jumping all over his ass. I agree with ya though...besides the diehards...people will not waste their time and money on them unless they make significant improvements. Obviously the winning with speed, defense and pitching isn't working at this point in the season.