Predict When 'IT' Will Happen

chisoxt

The opening post is right on the money. We will be in 2nd place early next week, and will fall out of the wild card spot the following week. Last night when we were up by 5 the KC announcer pointed out that The Yankees, Red Sox and Indians had all won their games "which is what good teams do this time of year. " Our best pitchers are mediocre, our defense is failing, and our 3rd base coach has no idea when to send runners home and when not to. The fade will continue. there is no hope.

If Cleveland takes over first at all this year I'll leave sox talk forever..

I think you will be leaving sox talk. Hope not. Hope we stay in front.

I can't believe Moronotti's column today didn't focus more on our wilting.

He only wrote about being second fiddle to the Cubs.

Weird.

I can't believe the columnists aren't smelling blood.

I think now more than ever we need to be positive. ALso, i think we all know its going to come down to those 7 games against the indians. It will be close but we go 4-3 against them i think we have the division. Also, Look at our record against them, its pretty damn good. And they have a young team, which sometimes can fold when the pressure is on.

I have many friends who are Angel fans who sound a lot like people on this board, dismayed at getting swept by the lowly Mariners. When I mention the Sox sucking they just shrug and say stuff like, "so what, they'll be fine."

The sox are going to have to turn it up, Cleveland's not going to cool off anymore than the Sox did in May or June.

My vote:

Won't happen.

Sox win Friday and Sunday against a collapsing Minnesota team (but lose to Santana). Indians take 1 or 2 out of 3 from KC, but don't sweep. Let's say they take 2 of 3.

That means the magic number is 10, and the lead is 4.5 games going into the last two weeks of the season. They have 6 or 7 against Cleveland, who they play well against, and some games against DET and MIN, who they usually do well against too.

Cleveland's looking awfully good, but the numbers favor the Sox, even with Cleveland's weak schedule.

The wildcard is attitude. Guillen and Buerhle's quotes from after the game need to take some effect and spread some clarity through the hazy locker room.

:unsure:

QUOTE(Texsox @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 09:54 PM)
They have to beat Cleveland.

very true. I like the pitching match ups going in:

Millwood vs. Garcia/Bmac

Westbrook vs. Buehrle

Elarton vs. Garland

Lee vs. Duque/Bmac

Lee has been lights out and will be tough to beat no matter who we throw out there. Hell, he's a cy young candidate. I can see 3 of 4 if we swing the bats. Cause they are going to score, that's all there is to it.

QUOTE(The Ginger Kid @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 05:11 AM)
very true. I like the pitching match ups going in:

Millwood vs. Garcia/Bmac

Westbrook vs. Buehrle

Elarton vs. Garland

Lee vs. Duque/Bmac

Lee has been lights out and will be tough to beat no matter who we throw out there. Hell, he's a cy young candidate. I can see 3 of 4 if we swing the bats. Cause they are going to score, that's all there is to it.

We only play them 3 times next week.

QUOTE(SoxFan562004 @ Sep 16, 2005 -> 03:22 PM)
I think we miss Sabathia and Lee...

Yep, Scott Elarton should get lit up, unless he's pitching in a big ballpark (which he ain't), Millwood's been great but has pitched a lot of innings, may be starting to get tired, and Westbrook hasn't been that good at all.

We shouldn't be concerned with their pitching, it's their offense and our pitching that will decide the series.

QUOTE(chisoxt @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 06:05 PM)
I believe that the fate of this team is now sealed.....This thing has been a leaking balloon for six weeks now, culminating with the devastating extra inning losses against Minn and LAA, an losing three of four to lowly KC.  The question in my mind is not if the Sox will lose the divisional lead but when.... My prediction is that they come out flat against Minn and lose Friday night. Then Santana beats them on Saturday and the Twins finish off the sweep on Sunday. Cleveland will take two of three from Kansas City going into the Sox series trailing by 1.5 games...

Then, Cleveland will win the first two games of the series and take over first place by next Tuesday.

But the Sox will salvage Wednesday's game and move back into first by a half game.

I need to polish my crystal ball to see what will happen the rest of the way.

STFU

we'll take 5 of 6 from the tribe and lead the division by 5 games

They will overtake the Sox after the Sox-Cleveland series next week. Sox will lose 2 of 3 to the Twins, then will get swept by the Indians. It will be just like last year, when the Sox manhandled the Twins early in the season, then when it came to crunchtime, they wilted like a flower(losing 7? straight in Sept.). Cleveland will win all remaining games with the Sox.

QUOTE(chisoxt @ Sep 15, 2005 -> 07:05 PM)
I believe that the fate of this team is now sealed.....This thing has been a leaking balloon for six weeks now, culminating with the devastating extra inning losses against Minn and LAA, an losing three of four to lowly KC.  The question in my mind is not if the Sox will lose the divisional lead but when.... My prediction is that they come out flat against Minn and lose Friday night. Then Santana beats them on Saturday and the Twins finish off the sweep on Sunday. Cleveland will take two of three from Kansas City going into the Sox series trailing by 1.5 games...

Then, Cleveland will win the first two games of the series and take over first place by next Tuesday.

But the Sox will salvage Wednesday's game and move back into first by a half game.

I need to polish my crystal ball to see what will happen the rest of the way.

While your at it, I could use the lottery numbers for the Mega game tonight.