Twins vs White Sox 9-22 Official Gamethread

southsideirish71

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm getting tired of people laying into fathom and questioning his loyalty to the Sox. First off, if he wasn't a Sox fan he wouldn't have over 10,000 posts on a whitesox message board. The guy is a fan,and a very knowlegable one at that. Jerry Reinsdorf was on Channel 11 several months ago, and he stated he always thought negatively about things when they went wrong, and I don't think you could question his loyalty. He was going nuts tonight when the Sox failed to capitalize on there chances, and when they eventually blew it.  John Paxson was in is box and when Jones ripped the 2 run double to make it 4-1, he knew JR well enough to start heading home. Fathom is the same way, as are many others including myself.  Anyway, my point is if you don't like what fathom has to say, put him on ignore, it will only be your loss.

There's a whole other side to this equation, and that's for people who like to come here and not listen to non stop negativity. I would feel differently if it were just now, i.e. these last two weeks. It's been the whole damn season. Those who have an opposing viewpoint have as much right to express it as he does. I am here a lot and since Feb. 2003 I have about 6500 posts. He's been here a year and a half less and has 1.5 times as many. Maybe when people dominate the board and post non stop, criticism will get flung their way. Just an observation.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 04:11 AM)
He should retire right now.

The Sox best chance at making the playoffs a week ago would have been if Ozzie was fired (of course, no way that would have happened). He doesn't have the composure for this pennant run. He's completely lost this team, and just continues to make wrong decisions, especially late in the game. We're losing way too many games lately with the lead after 6 innings.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 10:13 PM)
There's a whole other side to this equation, and that's for people who like to come here and not listen to non stop negativity.  I would feel differently if it were just now, i.e. these last two weeks.  It's been the whole damn season.  Those who have an opposing viewpoint have as much right to express it as he does.  I am here a lot and since Feb. 2003 I have about 6500 posts.  He's been here a year and a half less and has 1.5 times as many.  Maybe when people dominate the board and post non stop, criticism will get flung their way.  Just an observation.

The majority of his posts are in game threads where totals add up quickly. I don't think its fair to say he dominates the board. The fact is he watches or is paying attention to just about every game, and is usually commenting on it. People don't have to read his posts. They can put him on ignore, but he was the one who did call this collapse. I don't think its right to criticize people for being correct. Its not his fault the Sox keep losing winnable games.

I still believe the players are not executing.

Jenks was going to the HOF practically on this site two weeks ago, now he can't figure out how to locate the fastball.

That is just one small example. The manager puts guys in and gives them a chance to succeeed, as a player that's what you play for. The players are not coming thru. It is depressing.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 12:25 AM)
I still believe the players are not executing.

Jenks was going to the HOF practically on this site two weeks ago, now he can't figure out how to locate the fastball.

That is just one small example.  The manager puts guys in and gives them a chance to succeeed, as a player that's what you play for.  The players are not coming thru.  It is depressing.

Pretty hard to stay focused when your offense has 3 opportunities to score and doesnt. Its also hard to have 1-2-3 innings when your CF doesnt know what he is doing.

QUOTE(SoxFan1 @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 10:27 PM)
Pretty hard to stay focused when your offense has 3 opportunities to score and doesnt. Its also hard to have 1-2-3 innings when your CF doesnt know what he is doing.

1 run in 20 innings after the homerun that was supposed to turn this slide around. I'm choking just thinking about it.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 04:27 AM)
Hats off to BMac, he was awesome tonight matching Santana pitch for pitch. In fact he may even have been more impressive. The fact that he's a rookie makes me think he could be a star.

And you know what....it makes me even happier we didn't trade him. I was down on him earlier in the year when he threw his straight high fastball and didn't throw his change-up. Since he's come back, he's been fantastic. In the long run, we'll be thankful we didn't trade him. Not to sound even more negative than I am, but unless we got about 2 or 3 offensive contributors on this team for McCarthy, I still don't think this team would have had enough to win the World Series.

QUOTE(fathom @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 10:29 PM)
And you know what....it makes me even happier we didn't trade him.  I was down on him earlier in the year when he threw his straight high fastball and didn't throw his change-up.  Since he's come back, he's been fantastic.  In the long run, we'll be thankful we didn't trade him.  Not to sound even more negative than I am, but unless we got about 2 or 3 offensive contributors on this team for McCarthy, I still don't think this team would have had enough to win the World Series.

I agree. The Sox are probably the only team in baseball that has a #3 hitter with the lowest average in the line-up.

Definitely not absolving others of blame, not at all. Just saying the lack of execution is a team wide epidemic, not just limited to Rowand, etc.

Jenks made a good pitch to get the first out and hold Ford at 2nd but he should have been smarter or the catcher should have been smarter after that ... they have a much better chance of getting Lecroy and Jones out by going up in the zone a little bit.

The guy who really did his job and then some was McCarthy.

As for Rowand, hard to nitpick because he's been very good defensively but that's been two very costly midjudges, they can't afford mistakes.

QUOTE(Dick Allen @ Sep 23, 2005 -> 04:31 AM)
I agree. The Sox are probably the only team in baseball that has a #3 hitter with the lowest average in the line-up.

And yet continues to play EVERY game, even when he's not coming close to getting a hit. I hate Timo, but he'd give this team a much better chance to win if he was playing. Ozzie says he doesn't want to hurt the team's chemistry because he wants the players to feel like he believes in them. I think it's safe to say that every single player on the Sox feels like they just got punched in the f***ing jaw, and they're dazed and confused. Play to win the game Ozzie, and stop trying to be everyone's friend. If you keep this up, you can be friends with them on the golf course in 2 weeks.

QUOTE(JimH @ Sep 22, 2005 -> 10:36 PM)
Definitely not absolving others of blame, not at all.  Just saying the lack of execution is a team wide epidemic, not just limited to Rowand, etc.

Jenks made a good pitch to get the first out and hold Ford at 2nd but he should have been smarter or the catcher should have been smarter after that ... they have a much better chance of getting Lecroy and Jones out by going up in the zone a little bit. 

The guy who really did his job and then some was McCarthy.

As for Rowand, hard to nitpick because he's been very good defensively but that's been two very costly midjudges, they can't afford mistakes.

It looked like Rowand got an awful jump on Ford's double in the 11th. Anyone see the replay?